Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Silversprint
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By Loose Caboose

Thread: Infiniti Announces Variable Compression

Liked
    887 times

Default Infiniti Announces Variable Compression

Big power (268hp, 288 ftlbs.) high mpg (27% improved) 2 liter motor.

Seems like processing power is an ever bigger boost to mechanical power (and efficiency).

Renault should be pleased.

Infiniti's new VC-T changes the rules of small turbocharged engines - Autoblog

Liked
    150 times

To me it seems like another last gasp effort to increase the mpg of a petrol engine without having to go to hybrid or electrics. Those pesky CAFE standards. It adds another source of failure to an engine. Is 27% increase in economy worth if the long term reliability is decreased.
    bawareca likes this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    693 times

I was wondering....what could possibly go wrong with that engine
    Auto industry is going to extremes in many levels and most of us will face some unthinkable stuff in our lifetime. Last week I had a service call to do adaptation of new headlights for a 2015 Mercedes S550. Each costs over $4k along with it's 2 control modules, 5 temperature sensors and...internal cooling fan. What could possibly go wrong.....
    Of course situation is the same in all areas of our life and the ridiculousness is best described for me by the BMW head designers, who states that "The real luxury is to offer a buyers something they still dont know they want". I personally am not very optimistic about this bright future...
    Loose Caboose likes this.

Liked
    2364 times

I'd have to see that one in metal to figure it out. As a drawing, it's hard to understand how it works.

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I'd have to see that one in metal to figure it out. As a drawing, it's hard to understand how it works.
    That may never happen as a very few parts in a modern car are made of metal. Cheese at best

Liked
    223 times

This basic motor configuration was first devised in the late 1800s. The Atkinson cycle is used by many car markers, the Toyota Prius a prime example with millions produced over the last 15 or so years. It too has variable compression.

What's cool about this implementation is that the focus isn't solely on efficiency. And therefore is less flawed compared to the typical compromised implementation (from the perspective of a car enthusiast).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

Liked
    887 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    I was wondering....Auto industry is going to extremes in many levels and most of us will face some unthinkable stuff in our lifetime. . .
    Of course situation is the same in all areas of our life . . . and the ridiculousness is best described for me by the BMW head designers, who states that "The real luxury is to offer a buyers something they still dont know they want". I personally am not very optimistic about this bright future...
    "Simplicity is the most difficult thing to secure in this world; it is the last limit of experience and the last effort of genius."

- George Sand
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread