+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I sure would love to own this one

Liked
    2243 times

Default I sure would love to own this one

Carrera-Finishing 1965 Corvair Race Car Project For Sale

I've wanted a Corvair for awhile. That this one is a finished race car makes it even better. If only it weren't so far away (cue Mark Knopfler guitar).

Liked
    51 times

A Corvair? I am all about interesting cars but not sure that would be on my list...

Liked
    2243 times

Just goes to show the effect that negative press can have even 40 years later. The 1965 and later (well, 1964, actually) Corvairs had essentially the same rear suspepension as the '63 and later Corvette. That was always alluring to me, but I always felt the 65-69 Corvairs were as sexy a car as ever was built. Then again, I'm 46 and I can remember when they were roaming the roads in fairly significant numbers.

Liked
    1477 times

I'm 56 and all I remember is that they were unsafe at any speed. Not anywhere near my list of 100 favorite cars of all time.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    546 times

My first car that I bought with my own money was a 1963 Corvair convertible with the 140hp engine (and 4 carbs). I still ish I hadn't sold that car... it was just fun to have, pretty. Was it a sports car? No, but it wasn't any worse than a Beetle.

Steve

Liked
    704 times

If I ever have the time, money, space to have a small car collection, I'd like a later Corvair. Possibly the best looking car to come out of Detroit.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2243 times

earlyaxle.jpg

The reputation of the Corvair stems from the Ralph Nader book, "Unsafe at Any Speed: The Designed-In Dangers of the American Automobile." But there wasn't anything really wrong with it. It was the first chapter of the book, which was a commentary on the industry as a whole.

The Corvair had a swing axle suspension from 1960 to 1963, which did funny things to rear camber. Then from 64 to 69 it went with a full IRS with coil springs. They race them, and with the usual suspension mods, they actually corner pretty well.

My estimation is like the recent Toyota gas pedal recall, in 99 percent of all cases, it was driver error. Trailing throttle oversteer likely bit a few drivers, but the same thing happens with any rear-engine car.

Congress formed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a move due in part to the book, which brought about standard seat belts, collapsible steering columns and padded dashboards. I still think the 65-69s are one of the prettier GM designs from the 1960s.
    Last edited by ucfbrett; 11-12-2011 at 12:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread