+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: I need 10 driving coaches in exchange for a free track day at ACS

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by colatkitty View Post
    I'm available to coach this Friday if you are still looking. Email sent.

Mark, you will be a great asset at the track.

I just sent you an e-mail.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2165 times

I have a slight correction to this being free. Aaron and Speed Ventures needs to charge a small fee, I think it is $30, and then he pays you a small stipend of $20 or so and this gets you covered under his insurance program.

This event is relatively free for the driving coaches, but not quite entirely free. It is a much better deal than for regular coaching days at the track.

If you have questions ask Aaron at SV.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by colatkitty View Post
    I'm available to coach this Friday if you are still looking. Email sent.
    Where have you been? It's been 3 years since your last post here (not your last confession). Welcome back -- don't be a stranger. I hope you have a great time coaching and driving at Oli's event!
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2165 times

This is the last call for drivers and coaches.

We have had a few late cancellations of coaches and beginners.
    Last edited by Olitho; 10-01-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Liked
    1477 times

Good luck with the event, Oli. I hope you, your clients and friends, and the volunteer driving instructors have a great time. I can't imagine a company that puts on a better event for its customers and potential customers!
    Olitho and 48yota like this.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    439 times

I attended Oli's event as an instructor. It was well organized and very professional. Oli has some lucky customers!

I would like to make others aware of something I learned however, so that you can learn along with me. My very first student (all noobs) was driving a E63 AMG. It never dawned on me that he would use the car's full potential right out of the box and he went into T1 at just under 150 mph on the very first lap! As my life was passing before my eyes, I guess I finally yelled loud enough for him to hear me and he let off the gas and threw on the brakes in the middle of the turn! I can attest that MB traction control works awesome. W/o it, we would have been in the wall. From that point on, when I got in a car with a new driver, the first words out of my mouth were, please do not exceed 110 mph until I tell you we can go faster.

All of my students improved greatly, and I think had a blast. The MB guy was going to come back on Sunday with Speedventures. All in all a good experience.

craZee
    Olitho and bawareca like this.

Liked
    51 times

I was instructing as well. I believe the students and even the purple group were asked not to go over 130mph until they talked with the Speedventures staff after their first couple sessions...although we know that not everyone is going to do what they are asked (even if they were paying enough attention to hear it in the meeting).

Funny thing, my wife said she was a lot more worried that I was instructing vs. when I go and just drive at a track event.

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    I attended Oli's event as an instructor. It was well organized and very professional. Oli has some lucky customers!

I would like to make others aware of something I learned however, so that you can learn along with me. My very first student (all noobs) was driving a E63 AMG. It never dawned on me that he would use the car's full potential right out of the box and he went into T1 at just under 150 mph on the very first lap! As my life was passing before my eyes, I guess I finally yelled loud enough for him to hear me and he let off the gas and threw on the brakes in the middle of the turn! I can attest that MB traction control works awesome. W/o it, we would have been in the wall. From that point on, when I got in a car with a new driver, the first words out of my mouth were, please do not exceed 110 mph until I tell you we can go faster.

All of my students improved greatly, and I think had a blast. The MB guy was going to come back on Sunday with Speedventures. All in all a good experience.

craZee
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    38 times

Just wanted to say thanks to Oli for having me at this event. Good times were had by all I came into contact with and I think we might have attracted some more people into doing track days. I gave quite a few rides to those who had never been on track, everyone enjoyed themselves immensely and thanked me numerous times after.

The food was another highlight from the donuts, fruit, and coffee in the morning to the catered Mexican food food for lunch. I am glad I could make it as I don't get to the track as often as I used to...

Good luck to you Oli at the runoffs!
    Olitho, Richard EVO and Gian like this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by craZee View Post
    My very first student (all noobs) was driving a E63 AMG. It never dawned on me that he would use the car's full potential right out of the box and he went into T1 at just under 150 mph on the very first lap! As my life was passing before my eyes, I guess I finally yelled loud enough for him to hear me and he let off the gas and threw on the brakes in the middle of the turn! I can attest that MB traction control works awesome. W/o it, we would have been in the wall. From that point on, when I got in a car with a new driver, the first words out of my mouth were, please do not exceed 110 mph until I tell you we can go faster.
    I have a story that is similar, and amusing only in hindsight. I was instructing this soft spoken, intelligent gentleman driving a 500 whp M3 at ACS. He indicated that he had two prior track days of experience and was interested mostly in learning the line for ACS. Our first session goes by without incident. He's on super-fat, semi-slick R-compound tire, and meandering through turn one at 145 mph no problem. The car is softly sprung, and it feels like we're cruising leisurely down the highway. His hands are calm, his throttle and brake inputs are well done, so I'm ok with everything.

Then, suddenly, in our second session he enters onto the main strait side by side with another high-powered BMW M3. Until now, he's been easily shooting by everyone without effort. But, suddenly, he's locked in neck to neck with someone else that has a similar power/weight advantage. He's on the throttle strait into turn 1 when normally he would have let off 5 seconds ago. Everything seems in order to me. I believe his tires have enough grip to handle his speed, and his past performance leaves me in confidence. He felt differently. He turns into the corner screaming, "JESUS, PHUCK, JESUS" and suddenly he's applying brake. He has my attention now. I glance at his speed, and I see 16x mph. No doubt, he was going 17x by the time he turned in. To his credit, he didn't slam on the brakes, and we coasted down to a reasonable speed. Luckily, he drove with all aids ON. The car didn't exhibit even the slightest bit of drama from the sudden weight transfer. If he didn't panic, I never would have been aware something was wrong. Very impressed with BMW since then.

The lesson I learned is to discourage drag racing when it happens. Cool heads become hot.

*my perception of speed was looking sideways at a needle. Due to parallax, the actual speed was different, I am sure.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 10-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Why I don't instruct. I'm older than most of you guys, I make lousy passenger in a track car, and I have a little bit more of a self-preservation instinct than some of you young bucks . . .
    Olitho likes this.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Why I don't instruct. I'm older than most of you guys, I make lousy passenger in a track car, and I have a little bit more of a self-preservation instinct than some of you young bucks . . .
    I was last a passenger with my brother at Laguna Seca. We'd crest the hill and and reach a modest 115 mph in his BMW z3 before threshhold braking to whatever low speed was required for turn 2. My brother is a good driver and I trust him with my life. But, as we crested the hill I saw that there was a mere 50 feet of sandy runoff before hitting a wall, then a hill, I realized that I don't trust his car. After all, we work on his brakes. WE. Work. On. His. Brakes. We last installed the rotors, pads, greased everything up, and torqued the lugs. Neither of us is a particularly good mechanic, though we are experienced with brakes on multiple vehicles. Anyway, that's where my thought went as the car decelerated, the disks glowing red hot, and the RS-3s squealing into turn 2.

From that point onward I stopped look ahead at immovable objects and became a lot more comfortable. It's not self-preservation. It's denial!
    Olitho likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    137 times

I was there in two capacities, as both an instructor and a minor sponsor and in our book the event was a huge success. The customers we brought out ended the day with big stupid grins on their faces (some have already booked the next SV event at buttonwillow to start hitting the crack-pipe on their own dime).

Fortunately everyone I did ride-alongs with had a healthy respect for the laws of physics and their own mortality so it was me encouraging them to apply more throttle or go in faster etc.

One of our customers had a V6 Cadillac ATS, and WOW i was super impressed with how capable that car was in showroom trim. Ive never seen a factory brake system handle autoclub that well.

Oli thanks again for putting together such a fantastic event, we (Broadvoice) would like to take a bigger role next year I think, and best of luck at the run-offs!

-Ryan
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1477 times

Oli is creating track day addicts. A drug dealer, if you ask me. "Car racing makes Heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty . . ." Peter Egan (Editor of Road & Track magazine)
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    51 times

Oli:

Thanks for the opportunity to work at your event. Such a great day!

My student was a 50 year old guy in a BMW 330d Turbo Automatic. I used hand signals and talked a lot. Never got into any trouble. He went fast and had fun.

The first two sessions are just lead-follow so no risk there. Also did some ride alongs in the afternoon.

Got my first pic of my new toy on track too:

5zz9yal.jpg

Hope to be of service to you next year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2