+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: I got a new C7 Z06. Wow! Here is my first time with it on track!!!

Liked
    115 times

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
    How did he handle the news of his early departure?
    Fine. He's a colorful character, certainly not the first time he'd been told he was out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by markn View Post
    And the instructor?
    Not a sanctioned instructor, just his buddy.

Liked
    1486 times

Quote Originally Posted by agershon View Post
    This driver was sent home after the session in the video.
    Why after? If he was so bad why wasn't he black flagged off the track? Looks like he ran the whole session.
    Pure EvoIX and Blackbird like this.

Liked
    742 times

Fine. He's a colorful character, certainly not the first time he'd been told he was out of line.
    I see what you did there.
    Yer pal,
    Force

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    That's the problem with SV RED for example. I would rather be on track with experienced SM drivers than a newbie pilot in a low laptime car that drives itself. People in Red get their undies in a bunch when they can't get past someone. I say it's Red group learn to pass.
    C'mon Carl, that's too easy to pick.. If it's Red group, the A-hole in fast car should already be able to locate his mirrors.
    You say "learn to pass", but does the guy in a shiny new Corvette really want the faster driver in the slow car to dive bomb them?
    If racing is putting tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars at risk for a $5 plastic trophy, are you really asking the drivers to put their race mode on and pull the same level of risk at an HPDE event?
    There's not even a $5 trophy at the end...

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    C'mon Carl, that's too easy to pick.. If it's Red group, the A-hole in fast car should already be able to locate his mirrors.
    You say "learn to pass", but does the guy in a shiny new Corvette really want the faster driver in the slow car to dive bomb them?
    If racing is putting tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars at risk for a $5 plastic trophy, are you really asking the drivers to put their race mode on and pull the same level of risk at an HPDE event?
    You make it out as if each driver is at the mercy of the driver behind him. I do not think that is the full story. A driver can mitigate his risk by allowing an aggressive, slower car to pass.

I don't have even a fraction of the experience the rest of you do, but I haven't had a problem worth noting. I've let people pass that are slower, then I tail them and they let me pass and back off for the rest of the session.
    If I ever found myself truly in a quagmire then I'd just pit in and give myself space from the hot head who can't take a hint. I've done it a bunch of times and it generally works really well.

Once I get my 180 hp monster back on the road I doubt anyone will pass me ever again. Ever.
    agershon likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    704 times

Wait, so this is real? I thought it was some kind of track driving spoof. The list of bad things here is so long it can't be real, at least I hope not.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2282 times

you all are just jealous......I only dream of a 1:50 lap......
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1882 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    You make it out as if each driver is at the mercy of the driver behind him. I do not think that is the full story. A driver can mitigate his risk by allowing an aggressive, slower car to pass.

I don't have even a fraction of the experience the rest of you do, but I haven't had a problem worth noting. I've let people pass that are slower, then I tail them and they let me pass and back off for the rest of the session.
    If I ever found myself truly in a quagmire then I'd just pit in and give myself space from the hot head who can't take a hint. I've done it a bunch of times and it generally works really well.

Once I get my 180 hp monster back on the road I doubt anyone will pass me ever again. Ever.
    Carl was commenting about those who complain at Red group drivers meeting that 'they should learn to pass', and the point of my reply was that things don't work that way.
    The game needs to be played right on both sides to keep everyone happy, because at the end of the day that's what it's all about - no one is winning trophies or rewards at some HPDE, they are there to have fun and better themselves as drivers. That's it.

As someone that drives a car that is painfully slow in a straight line but very quick around corners, I'm finding myself dealing with that kind of crap way too often... it's tiresome..
    Every morning at the driver's meeting you hear Aaron saying the same thing "if you're in a fast car and you see a slower car sitting on your rear bumper in the corners, don't punch the gas in the next straight to make it disappear, they are faster than you, create a pass and try to follow, maybe you'll learn something new", and guess what it doesn't matter.
    Every single day there will still be some A-hole in a faster car in Red group that will do exactly what Aaron just asked them not to and ruin the session for someone else.

Now there's a choice that I need to take as the driver of the slower car, do I dive bomb the guy at the risk bending my car because some A-hole can't get a hint?
    Or should I drive through the hot pit and ask for space and give up 2 hot laps from a session where you get what 6-7 hot laps total? not to mention that now the session is F'd because of tire temps..
    Or do I keep follow the other car and hope for the other driver to just get the hint after who knows how many laps? They already proved that they are not very good at it...
    Last edited by Blackbird; 06-18-2015 at 05:08 PM.
    Johns_EvoIXSE likes this.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I don't think it was either. I made a general comment. When I saw the post I thought YOU got a new Z06. I was thinking...OMG...Oli with 600+ horsepower!
    That is what I wanted you guys to think.

I tell you though, I am missing my old C5 Z16. I think I might buy another one for an occassional daily driver to the office and stuff. I miss that car.....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    1486 times

I understand the plight of the slower car but there are better solutions than the Red whine. There are few better skills to learn than controled offline clean passing without divebombing. That is perfect to work on in SV Red. If a miata is frustrated by a slow vette you can always run into the hotpits to gain some space. Unfortunately large egos prevent some people from gaining full on track benefits. For the asshat who frustrates those around "he reaps what he sows." If he gets dive bombed too bad for him. If that freaks him out in Red simulated race group he should move down a group.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1882 times

It boils down to the level of trust you have in the other driver.
    Someone doesn't seem to be paying much attention to what happens in their mirrors, going for a pass in a slower car means that you *really* have to trust them not to do anything stupid and be ready to bend your car if they do.

Editing to add: not sure how many noticed this but there's a huge difference between the Socal and Norcal events.
    The difference is that the flagging crew in Norcal uses this flag in every run group and the Socal crew uses it only for the 2-3 lower run groups.
    blue-flag.png
    Last edited by Blackbird; 06-18-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    bawareca and SDSUsnowboards like this.

Liked
    545 times

This driver was sent home after the session in the video.
    I certainly can't argue with that call, but at the same time, I know I (and I suspect many others) would be happy to help the driver really learn how to drive, if that's of interest to him.

Of course, if he just wants to drive crazy, well, that's a whole 'nother story...

Steve

Liked
    742 times

Carl was commenting about those who complain at Red group drivers meeting that 'they should learn to pass', and the point of my reply was that things don't work that way.
    The game needs to be played right on both sides to keep everyone happy, because at the end of the day that's what it's all about - no one is winning trophies or rewards at some HPDE, they are there to have fun and better themselves as drivers. That's it.

As someone that drives a car that is painfully slow in a straight line but very quick around corners, I'm finding myself dealing with that kind of crap way too often... it's tiresome..
    Every morning at the driver's meeting you hear Aaron saying the same thing "if you're in a fast car and you see a slower car sitting on your rear bumper in the corners, don't punch the gas in the next straight to make it disappear, they are faster than you, create a pass and try to follow, maybe you'll learn something new", and guess what it doesn't matter.
    Every single day there will still be some A-hole in a faster car in Red group that will do exactly what Aaron just asked them not to and ruin the session for someone else.

Now there's a choice that I need to take as the driver of the slower car, do I dive bomb the guy at the risk bending my car because some A-hole can't get a hint?
    Or should I drive through the hot pit and ask for space and give up 2 hot laps from a session where you get what 6-7 hot laps total? not to mention that now the session is F'd because of tire temps..
    Or do I keep follow the other car and hope for the other driver to just get the hint after who knows how many laps? They already proved that they are not very good at it...
    You're not losing 2 laps when you pit in. That's 4 minutes in a Miata on most tracks--my pit in/out has always been expedient with any organization. Or, do you mean 2 timed laps?

And, what do tire temps matter? As you said, HPDE is to have fun and better yourself as a driver. I doubt being in the optimum temp range for your tires is a prerequisite for those to happen.

I agree that it's wrong for the slower drivers in faster cars to put the onus on the faster drivers in slower cars to undertake a risky pass in order to get by. I agree that pitting in to make space is not ideal. But, it's not that terrible, and no one is forcing anyone to make risky maneuvers.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    742 times

Someone doesn't seem to be paying much attention to what happens in their mirrors, going for a pass in a slower car means that you *really* have to trust them not to do anything stupid and be ready to bend your car if they do.

Editing to add: not sure how many noticed this but there's a huge difference between the Socal and Norcal events.
    The difference is that the flagging crew in Norcal uses this flag in every run group and the Socal crew uses it only for the 2-3 lower run groups.
    Attachment 9022
    They use it, but not very enthusiastically. The pass flag sort of hangs, barely in sight, like a limp dick in the geriatric ward. I wish they wave that thing around like a frantic red to get the driver's attention. Or better yet, lay down some spike strips.
    SteveLevin likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    299 times

At least he wasn't cooking a kebab.
    bawareca and JulioG like this.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    1486 times

I have always said SV Red should not be about a "fast enough lap" time to be in Red but having "experience enough" to be in Red so your angst is never realized. That way not only will you not have to risk getting bent but you will not have to worry about closing on a vette in the corners. By the way Miata drivers aren't the complainers in SV Red. The complainers have 3 characteristics: 1)good deal of HP, 2)less skill than they say, 3) talk a lot of game.
    Pure EvoIX, bawareca, JJ1 and 1 others like this.

Liked
    226 times

We set up our run groups by experience, not by lap times. Seems like most other groups seem to do it by lap times. As the video points out, you can take a new car with all kinds of driver aids to keep you out of trouble and turn in some reasonable lap times. Doesn't mean you have a clue as to what you are doing.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    981 times

Lets keep it simple. If you need computer nannies and a passenger pointing toward each apex then stay the fU&* out of the advanced group. Oh and never ever compare a C7Z driver with a corvette driver. Apparently the C7Z is bringing in a whole new breed of lame.

Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    We set up our run groups by experience, not by lap times. Seems like most other groups seem to do it by lap times. As the video points out, you can take a new car with all kinds of driver aids to keep you out of trouble and turn in some reasonable lap times. Doesn't mean you have a clue as to what you are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    Lets keep it simple. If you need computer nannies and a passenger pointing toward each apex then stay the fU&* out of the advanced group. Oh and never ever compare a C7Z driver with a corvette driver. Apparently the C7Z is bringing in a whole new breed of lame.
    If it were set up by experience then I would STILL be locked out, according to the stated opinion of some people on TrackHQ. I don't think there is a catch-all method. Observation, following by adjustment, if necessary, is the best, but most time intensive way to segregate drivers into their proper class.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I certainly can't argue with that call, but at the same time, I know I (and I suspect many others) would be happy to help the driver really learn how to drive, if that's of interest to him.

Of course, if he just wants to drive crazy, well, that's a whole 'nother story...

Steve
    Have to be suicidal to sit in that left seat. His passenger in that video looked terrified. I thought he was going to chew through his bottom lip.
    bawareca likes this.
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast