+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: I am racing Trans Am in 2017 - My race video from today

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Yes, I added five gallons of fuel cell so I could make the distance without concern while driving 10/10ths. I finished on the same lap as the winning TA and TA2 cars.
    I think I am getting faster but have no way to tell because I'm always running a new track. Last week at CoTA was the 1st time in the dry for me. I'm doing something completely different in the car and my DIC says 5.5mpg when I used to get 6.5mpg back home. I thought something was wrong with my motor but if you are getting 5.5 then 5.5 for me must be OK too. I think I'm not coasting as much. There is no way I could have made a 100mile race on my restricted motor. I only went 40 mins and 55 miles and only had about 1/3+ tank of gas left. I wonder if I could run in TA4?
    Last edited by fatbillybob; 03-28-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I think I am getting faster but have no way to tell because I'm always running a new track. Last week at CoTA was the 1st time in the dry for me. I'm doing something completely different in the car and my DIC says 5.5mpg when I used to get 6.5mpg back home. I thought something was wrong with my motor but if you are getting 5.5 then 5.5 for me must be OK too. I think I'm not coasting as much. There is no way I could have made a 100mile race on my restricted motor. I only went 40 mins and 55 miles and only had about 1/3+ tank of gas left. I wonder if I could run in TA4?

It will be real close for you. If you are running a restricted C5 running mid-1:5x laps at ACS for 100 miles the TA cars are going to be running 1:35s. Everyone will qualify 2+ seconds faster, but that will be the race pace. With no yellows at ACS you need to be prepared to do 28 laps based on a T2/TA4 lap time. The TA cars will do 35 laps by my calculation. The ROval is 2.8 miles x 28 laps equals 78 miles. If you did 55 miles at COTA and have six gallons left you should be able to do it. I compute my distance limit between 80-90 miles on OEM fuels tanks.

It is possible with extended yellows that you might end up doing a couple more laps and that will put you in danger territory. Or add a fuel cell since your car is bloated with lead anyway....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2344 times

The award ceremony was cool. B1tchin' trophies and lots of different photo sessions on the podium where we had to wear hats for Trans Am, Pirelli, Cool Suit and VP Fuel.

And then they had us spray champagne.

WSIR Trans Am Podium.jpg

Liked
    243 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    The award ceremony was cool. B1tchin' trophies and lots of different photo sessions on the podium where we had to wear hats for Trans Am, Pirelli, Cool Suit and VP Fuel.

And then they had us spray champagne.

Attachment 10881
    Great shot! And smoking fast laps! Now I can tell people that I knew you before you went Pro...
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    1720 times

You know...1:24 is friken fast!!
    Olitho and CharleyH like this.

Liked
    15 times

Backtracking a bit I finally had a chance to watch the video and the contact at 29:00 barely qualifies as contact. I wouldn't call that move all that agressive (take into account my motorcycle racing background). I've pulled more agressive moves vintage racing albeit without the contact......whoever called a racing incident was spot on. I'm assuming the other driver new full well,they were slamming the door. At a pro race if you don't spin, put them off or cause damage its a racing incident.

Tom
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

You know...1:24 is friken fast!!
    I love that I hit 140 MPH in Turn 8!

I wonder what I could do without the restrictor plate?

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyH View Post
    Great shot! And smoking fast laps! Now I can tell people that I knew you before you went Pro...

I did World Challenge in 2010....
    CharleyH likes this.

Liked
    1720 times

Hey...not only did Oli race pro but he is hob knobbing with the rich and famous. In the same race adam corrolla took 3rd in his trans am class. Oli is going to need a bigger helmet.
    Olitho and bawareca like this.

Liked
    2344 times

Hey...not only did Oli race pro but he is hob knobbing with the rich and famous. In the same race adam corrolla took 3rd in his trans am class. Oli is going to need a bigger helmet.
    Yeah, I was sitting across from him during the pre-race driver's meeting.

Liked
    693 times

If he took 3rd in "corrolla" he must must be indeed an amazing driver
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2344 times

I was hoping to get more Trans Am racing incident feedback from this group since you are more experienced than most, especially since some of you are rather vocal at times. Here is my email exchange with the race steward the following day. Please read the comments from the bottom up. I figure you guys might be interested in the exchange.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Oli

For sure you were the innocent victim with Car #13. He slammed the door on you and he was the one who contacted you, not the other way round.

Copy on the one contact in Turn 3 with Car #90 - no other contact seen or implied!

I enjoyed watching the video as it was my first opportunity to 'drive the track at speed' - so, yes I did watch it all and I enjoyed the ride!

And yes, I am usually caught out when I say 'out' or 'eh'!

Thanks, Oli. See you in Fontana!

Mr. RD

Steward
    Trans Am Series

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Oli Thordarson <oli@alvaka.net> wrote:
    I did not make contact with the #13 at all during the race. I agree I was a bit bemused as he shut the door on me entering Turn One and again on Turn Two on lap one.

I also only had one contact with the #90 car. I just want to make sure you know that as your third bullet suggests I possibly had other contact.

Thank you for your feedback. It sounds like you watched much more of the video than I expected you would as I was really only concerned with minute 29:10. It is appreciated.

Oli

Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:52 AM
    To: Oli Thordarson
    Subject: Passing etiquette in Trans Am?

Hi Oli

Thanks for the feedback and for asking for clarification of the on-track incident between yourself in Car #22 and Joe Napoleon in Car #90 during the Trans Am Race at Willow Springs on March 26th.

I have taken a look at your in-car video and here are my observations:

* First and unrelated to your question - you got a bit used up by Car #13 on the start down the front straight as he moved over on you and made contact with his right rear to your left front. I will talk with that driver as that was an 'avoidable contact' incident.
    * It is clear that your Car #22 had more speed and was more stable in the corners than Car #90. Car #90 was inconsistent in his brake points and the car appeared to struggle with holding consistent lines through the corners.
    * The first contact between you and Car #90 was on you as, while I understand how and why you got there, your right front was just even with the left rear of Car #90 at the entry and the corner was his, not yours. As I stated in the Driver Meeting, two cars can go side by side through a corner if they leave each other a car width plus one inch. It could be argued that Car #90 didn't offer that 'respect' but, at the same time and in that particular corner, driving a wider line at race speed could easily result in reduced/no grip and quite possibly resulting in going over the right side off track - following the many tire tracks of those who have gone before. So - for me, knowing that you had been following for a few laps and had already tried a little bit earlier, you should have backed out and let the #90 car go through the corner.
    * Your final pass on the #90 car a bit later was well planned and well executed. You waited for the right time and pulled it off really well.

You mentioned that Joe was less than charitable when you approached him about it post-race. My view is that he was struggling with a less than perfect handling car and - except for the one light contact in Turn 3 - you waited until the right time and made a good pass. He was defending his line and that is fair but he knew you had the faster car and it was just a matter of time until you got passed him.

Oli, it was great working with you this weekend. Thanks for asking the question and I look forward to seeing you at Fontana. Hopefully you can talk some more of your friends into coming out and joining us there!!

Sincerely

Mr. RD

Steward
    Trans Am Series

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Oli Thordarson <oli@alvaka.net<mailtoli@alvaka.net>> wrote:
    Hi RD:

Thanks for a wonderful weekend of racing.

I hope you made it home OK.

I have a driving etiquette question for you. I had a very minor contact with Joe Napoleon. I heard your words about driving clean so I am not proud of the incident and I wanted to get your take on it so I can be a proper driver for your series.

Here is my part 1 in-car video from the race. At minute 24 of the race I am running down Joe and then spend a few laps trying to get around him. At minute 28:45 I make a fairly bold pass attempt around the outside of Turn Two, but I can’t make that stick. I have the door open going into Turn Three, but we make very light contact just past the apex. It too, was a bit bold, but I have made a lot of passes there. Joe was not too happy with me when I went over to apologize. I am looking for your guidance so I can adjust my driving and passes accordingly.

Minute 24 is where I first start my race with Joe. 28:45 is shortly before the outside pass attempt. 29:10 is the contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBohOajQt-s
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1495 times

"I enjoyed watching the video as it was my first opportunity to 'drive the track at speed'"

Fine, fine quality stewards in transam I tell ya what.

Oli, didn't you hit car 92? Not 90?
    Attached Images  

Liked
    2344 times

Race Director/International Steward
    Company NameInternational Motor Sports Association
    Dates EmployedJan 2005 – 2015 Employment Duration10 yrs
    See description See more about Race Director/International Steward, International Motor Sports Association

Dale Management & Motorsport Limited
    General Manager
    Company NameDale Management & Motorsport Limited
    Dates EmployedJan 2000 – Dec 2014 Employment Duration15 yrs
    See description See more about General Manager, Dale Management & Motorsport Limited

Motorsport Club of Ottawa (MCO)
    Past President
    Company NameMotorsport Club of Ottawa (MCO)
    Dates Employed1967 – Nov 2007 Employment Duration40 yrs
    See description See more about Past President, Motorsport Club of Ottawa (MCO)

Grand American Road Racing
    Pit Lane Official/ Pace Car Driver
    Company NameGrand American Road Racing
    Dates EmployedJan 2000 – Dec 2004 Employment Duration5 yrs
    See description See more about Pit Lane Official/ Pace Car Driver, Grand American Road Racing

SCCA Pro Racing, Ltd.
    Series Chief Steward - Trans Am Series/SuperTouring
    Company NameSCCA Pro Racing, Ltd.
    Dates EmployedJan 1996 – Dec 2003 Employment Duration8 yrs
    See description See more about Series Chief Steward - Trans Am Series/SuperTouring, SCCA Pro Racing, Ltd.

CART - (Championship Auto Racing Teams)
    Series Chief Steward - Indy Lights/SuperTouring
    Company NameCART - (Championship Auto Racing Teams)
    Dates EmployedJan 1997 – Dec 2001 Employment Duration5 yrs
    See description See more about Series Chief Steward - Indy Lights/SuperTouring, CART - (Championship Auto Racing Teams)

ASN Canada FIA
    Series Chief Steward - Players-GM Series/Firehawk Series/Motorola Cup
    Company NameASN Canada FIA
    Dates EmployedJan 1987 – Dec 1996 Employment Duration10 yrs

Liked
    2344 times

Yes, it was the #92 car. The same team runs the #90 car though, that is probably the confusion.

It did not post above, but the steward does have a personal racing history, too.

Liked
    2344 times

On the steward:

"He started rallying and driving sports cars in his teens and still holds the ASR class lap record at Mont Tremblant, Quebec. He drove for 25 years and held an IMSA race license, making the progression from driver to official a natural one.

"I was never too bad at driving, but what I wasn't good at was getting someone else to pay for it," RD said. "And racing isn't a cheap hobby. There was a need in the Quebec region for a chief scrutineer, and my exposure as a driver led them to me, and it's gone from there."

When RD first decided to take a job as an official, his wife questioned him.

"She said, 'I thought you didn't like race officials,'" RD said. "I told her, 'I don't dislike officials; I dislike officious officials.' And I swore that I wouldn't have an ego or an attitude. It is vital that I always explain my decision and always make sure the competitors understand."

RD continues to work in that style, always making sure decisions are fair and understood by competitors. He pulls from his racing experience, including his errors, to help educate drivers and officiate fairly.

"I've been behind the wheel and made mistakes," RD said. "I've seen the red mist, so I understand where they're coming from. I work with the idea that they all deserve to be allowed to put on the show while dealing with officials that are professional and respectful.

Liked
    1495 times

Sounds well intentioned, but your email chain still reads a little strangely.

Liked
    2344 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Sounds well intentioned, but your email chain still reads a little strangely.
    I agree. I had a civil law attorney once tell me the courtroom is a "lottery wheel of justice." You never know what you will get. Plenty of people think they have a great case and then lose and vice versa.

I see driving court the exact same way.
    bawareca likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2