+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: HPDE-2 Crash at Road Atlanta

Liked
    0 times

Default HPDE-2 Crash at Road Atlanta

Anyone know the condition of the HPDE-2 driver who crashed heading into turn 10a yesterday afternoon at Road Atlanta?

Liked
    742 times

Wasn't me. First time I heard of it. What car, which company or club?
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    20 times

There was a car totalled Friday too. It's Road Atlanta....is there ever an event WITHOUT a crumpled car?
    '99 miata

Liked
    5 times

The rumor (which is pretty much confirmed but the driver's name hasn't been released) is that it was fatal. A car lost its engine and dumped its oil on the track. The Mustang following lost control and couldn't brake due to the oil.

Liked
    1429 times

Strange... there's kitty litter at the bottom and an angled wall. He go in sideways and tumble? Or hit the wall with 4 point harnesses?

Liked
    5 times

There have been only a few details posted on the web so far but I'm sure more will surface soon. The only information I had was that safety-wise, it was a stock Mustang (i.e. all OEM safety equipment). However, if the driver really couldn't slow the car, the driver was probably doing around 120 in that area (possibly faster depending on the confidence of the driver as not all HPDE drivers are looking to set track records). The information I read was it was a wall impact, so it doesn't sound like he went straight through the kitty litter. Given oil was down, the trajectory may not have been exactly straight.

Liked
    5 times

Found another post which sounds like it was a side impact:

"Unfortunately it has been confirmed as a fatality. One of the HC racers I was racing with was paddocked next the father and son, the son was driving. No idea of the age involved.

Car went in hard, broadside to the drivers side. Rode the wall down the hill and made it all the way across the track and stopped in the sand trap on the other side."

Liked
    1429 times

Hard side impact driver's side would certainly do it.

Liked
    2282 times

Bone stock car fatality is pretty rare in a modern car (made in last 10 years)

It almost always aftermarket mods that killed. Like aftermarket steering wheel, aftermarket seats, 4 point harness.

RIP
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-03-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    704 times

I hope this turns out to not be true. If it is true, it's very sad and my condolences to friends and families. RIP
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    143 times

Wondering if the car had side airbags?
    MR2 Spyder 2zz turbo
    Mazda RX7 FD
    Porsche 911E

Liked
    20 times

Damn...hate to hear that. Condolences to the family.
    '99 miata

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
    Wondering if the car had side airbags?
    I'm not sure it would have mattered given the (suggested) speed. OEM equipment isn't really designed for that type of protection.

Liked
    464 times

Sad news. RIP
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    237 times

Unfortunately, it's true.

It's getting tiresome to read of these fatalities during HPDE/track day events.

RIP to the driver.

Liked
    51 times

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2395 times

Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    The author brings up a very important point. William and I have fretted about this even in SuperMiata with industry standard race car safety equipment. The problem is that drivers coming up through the ranks quickly are 100% focused on going faster, not going safer. How this manifests is drivers learning how to take a turn faster without flying off, closer to the limit. What they don't ever really practice however, is what to do if things go wrong. We saw this in SPM once or twice. I have seen it in NASA and SCCA also. Driver gets the car a little out of shape and can't save it. Once the car is beyond control, the driver continues to make mistakes, leading to a avoidable damage an injuries.

Think about it. How many times have you spun at 70mph or more? How many times have you had a sudden mechanical that violently upset the stability of the car? How many times have you been tagged by another car and thrown into a tank slapper? I see drivers sitting too far from the wheel to make quick 180 corrections. Race drivers with tons of safety going out for practice not wearing half of it. Driver that get into a spin and never put both feet in, turning a flat spotted set of tires into a flat spotted car and free flatbed ride. And on and on.

New drivers learn how to go fast. They aren't being taught how to cope with things go wrong.

Here's an example in SPM from last year with a newb racer.

Mistakes in order of occurrence

1. Heads out for morning practice not wearing HANS or gloves, because "it's just practice"
    2. Shuffle steers so doesn't immediately know where the wheels are pointed because "I feel more comfortable doing it that way"
    3. Driver drops two off the outside of a a fast turn, immediately jerks wheel back towards track because "I didn't want to fly off"
    4. Car shoots violently back on track and begins a tank slapper. Car is still headed straight down center of track. Driver lets go of wheel because "I didn't know what to do"
    5. Car loops 360 and hits and embankment at about 45mph, totaling the car. Driver never put both feet in, thus letting the car leave track because" I didn't know I was supposed to lock the brakes when I lost control"

This driver had a sore neck. Lucky beyond belief. Another 20mph and this might have been a different kind of cautionary tale.

Moral? The author is right. We as HPDE instructors and opinion leaders have a moral and ethical obligation to impress newbs on the importance of learning car control in unstable situations, how to recognize when you have lost control and what do, how to set up yoursaefty equipment and the importance of wearing it every time you leave pit lane.

/rant
    Pure EvoIX, bawareca and ETK like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    Author tells a story about shop owners that went joyriding in a customers car, hit a tree and both died?

I almost feel sad. Oh wait, yes I do, for the car owner.

Liked
    2282 times

Article says sn95 Mustang. So older ones without modern safety equipment
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    742 times

The first thing I say after I introduce myself is,"I am married and would sure love to go home to see my wife tonight, so I am here to help you be safe, can you be safe for me?" The older students I get, some take pause with this. It is how I know who I am dealing with. The younger ones barely register, so I know it will be a struggle.
    Yer pal,
    Force

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast