+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How not to start your race weekend...

Liked
    23 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I just helped my parents shop for a car. Their new one has frontal collision avoidance, lane control, it parallel parks for them and more. Add in stability control, ABS, heads up displays, voice controls, etc. and I would say a lot is being done.
    Unless it prevents them from texting or updating their facebook while driving, I'm not impressed. Improving driver behavior is what I was getting at when I said "making drivers safer".
    Blackbird likes this.
    '09 rx8 sport

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    Glad you are OK! Terrifying! Bring on the self driving cars!
    Even self driving isn't safe

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/t...-fatality.html

Moti I'm glad you're OK. Very scary

Liked
    2343 times

Quote Originally Posted by shindul View Post

I was just going to post that. This incident sets self-driving cars back five years.

ETK
    Liked
    125 times

Saw the news about the pedestrian in AZ. Very sad.

I hope we can look at this rationally though. There were 6000 pedestrian deaths last year and more than 30,000 deaths from cars in general (just in the US). How many more people will die because we think driverless cars are scary, and therefore won’t allow the testing that will ultimately save many more lives?
    Red_5, Blackbird and luke warmshoe like this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    755 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    Saw the news about the pedestrian in AZ. Very sad.

I hope we can look at this rationally though. There were 6000 pedestrian deaths last year and more than 30,000 deaths from cars in general (just in the US). How many more people will die because we think driverless cars are scary, and therefore won’t allow the testing that will ultimately save many more lives?
    I agree and while it's sad that a person was killed by an autonomous car ultimately it will save many lives once the technology gets there. It seems many drivers today would rather be doing something other than driving that's why I can't wait for autonomous cars.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    1488 times

Maybe the backup driver at the wheel is the one who needs the kick in the balls. Or maybe the person hit did something idiotic. Hard to know.

Liked
    16 times

Wow. Glad you didn't get hurt. She took texting to a whole new level.
    How can I do?

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2036 times

So truck and trailer are both total loss.
    Currently working with the insurance on the damage to the race car.

Liked
    755 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    So truck and trailer are both total loss.
    Currently working with the insurance on the damage to the race car.
    I hope they take care of you especially given the nature of this "accident".

I haven't seen the truck in person since the incident but I'm surprised that the car could total such a big truck after hitting the trailer first. Was the force put through the trailer into the truck frame part of the damage? Just curious.

Liked
    2036 times

The truck had the entire rear suspension tweaked sideways and turned about 10 degrees to the right, the bed is trash, the tailgate is trash, the lower corner of the cab is caved in a bunch, frame rails are no longer straight, broken tail lights, potential damage to the trans since the axle was pushed forward and to top it off my truck it the pearl Black paint which is expensive to do / match.
    Way more than enough damage to make it a total loss... it was huge impact.

Liked
    755 times

Wow, I didn't realize the extent of the damage. I hope it works out for you in the long run.

Liked
    0 times

Appreciate you taking the time to post about this Blackbird, and glad to see you're ok. I can't believe that not only was she using the laptop, but that she handed it to the guy helping her out of the car...

Quote Originally Posted by shindul View Post

In the grand scheme of things, self driving cars have still shown to be safer overall than human drivers.

Liked
    2036 times

No problem, writing things down actually helped me reduce some of stress I was under after the accident.
    I'm still dealing with the after math, once it's all said and done I'll update the thread with the rest of the details.

Liked
    879 times

Wow! So good to know that you are relatively unharmed! Your thoughts toward your family are especially touching. And it is amazing how debilitating the sudden shock from a close call like this can be. It can take a while to completely normalize, and you can expect a lot of uncomfortable mental re-plays and possibly some pretty depressing brooding, and you should not be reluctant to seek psychiatric guidance if necessary - especially in light of Carl's advice about damages and legal representation.

Liked
    1 times

I realize sometimes there's just nothing you can do, but wow, what a sobering reminder to always be aware... Such a close call.

Liked
    2036 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    you can expect a lot of uncomfortable mental re-plays
    The first few day after the accident were filled with replays in my head, back to back to back... It was difficult to concentrate on, well, pretty much anything.
    It's definitely improving and I have less of that going on. Same with the shake, first few days after my hands were still shaking, now it's mostly gone.
    One thing I observed that struck me as odd, is that the sense that I see the most vivid recollection from is the sound. That horrible sound or metal being crushed and parts getting torn and crunched up, I can still hear it.

My wife is a mental health therapist (MFT, specializing in kids / teenagers) so I am well familiar with the field.
    I always find it odd that for so many people taking care of their mental health seems to be something shameful when there's really no difference between that and taking care of any bodily issue.
    I'm not one to view things that way, but as things are progressing I seem to be getting back to normal at a reasonable rate, so I'll leave the brain to do its' thing.

Another observation I had was how different it was to me to be in harm's way with no control over the situation while I'm standing out in the open as opposed to the few close calls I had at the track over the years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2