+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How not to start your race weekend...

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2036 times

Default How not to start your race weekend...

Another reminder that towing is the most part of racing.
    Pulled off to the shoulder on a freeway on-ramp to make sure the straps on the car didn't loosen up from all the stop and go traffic on the way to Chuckwalla.
    Traffic on the freeway was crawling at 2-3 MPH and on ramp was empty when I stopped.
    Turned the hazards on and quickly ran around the trailer to check the straps, gave the two rear straps one more click and was going back around the nose of the truck to get to my door.

As I get my hand on the door handle I look at the car coming down the on-ramp towards the freeway (it's a very long on-ramp) and saw that it's aimed at me and moving way too fast for someone that is about to merge onto a freeway that's almost standing still... I froze and thought "why isn't it moving towards traffic?!" ... the driver managed to miss a truck / trailer / racecar combo the size of a city block in broad daylight.
    As the car came speeding towards me all I could think of was that I'll have to try and jump over the hood and maybe I'll manage to not get completely mowed down by the vehicle.. Scariest split second of my life.

I got lucky by mere inches, she clipped the rear corner of the trailer first, ripped the RF corner of the suspension, ground down the side of the trailer and then hit the truck hard right on the rear axle.

The car stopped maybe 4' from me, had she not hit the trailer first I might have hit my expiration date or at least injured really bad, she was probably going 45-50 MPH as she hit the trailer, but being a ~12K Lbs combo it slowed her down enough.

I was shaking too bad to even think straight let alone do anything useful, but thankfully the two cars that were behind her stopped to render assistance. The guy that was trying to help check on me and saw that I was okay other than the shaking, he tried to open the door of the other car but couldn't, eventually she unlocked the door and as he opened him she was crying hysterically and the first thing she did was to hand him.. HER LAPTOP.

I nearly died because the other driver was merging at 45-50 MPH into bumper to bumper crawling traffic while doing stuff on her f**king laptop.
    Let that sink in for a sec, I know I'm still trying to digest that fact.

I'd like to thank everyone that rendered assistance, especially officer Jarvis from CHP who was there until it was all over and we got all the towing sorted out (not an easy task, given the setup and damage) and my buddy Kurt who came to help me with unloading the truck at the shop and take me home.

Let this be a good reminder about the dangers of distracted driving, feel free to share it to remind others.
    I came out of this unscathed, but the aftermath could've been a lot worse if she was 6" off to left.
    Stay safe out there, it's a crazy world we're living in.

Liked
    241 times

Wow, that was a lose call! Very scary. It is amazing how quickly things can go from very good to really bad. It looks like your truck saved your life. Glad to hear you are alright!

It is amazing the stupid things people do in their cars on the freeway. I have talked to two people that told me that they WATCH MOVIES while they ar commuting.
    Charley
    Last edited by CharleyH; 03-17-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    7 times

Holy crap, glad you're ok.

Too many distractions these days.

Liked
    2036 times

The fact that she clipped the trailer first saved me from hitting my expiration date.
    It was far enough and heavy enough to take the hit and dissipate a good chunk of the energy, and then the truck took all the rest of it.
    Had she been 6" off to the left I doubt the truck was enough to prevent her from mowing me down, especially since the truck is narrower... as unlucky as I got to have this happening at all, I got lucky to walk away from this unharmed (short of being well shaken).

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    95 times

very sad!
    perhaps her regular commute, she most likely looks forward to that long straight on ramp to check her email daily.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    274 times

The other driver needs to get one of Elon Musk's self-driving cars. Sheesh.

Glad you're still with us, Moti!

Liked
    274 times

Did the CHP trooper charge her with distracted driving or even mention it in his report?

Liked
    545 times

Glad you dodged a bullet Moti. Would have enjoyed seeing you out there today. The weather turned out to be fantastic.

Me missing a downshift and shooting off at T1 at about 100 mph seems almost boring compared to your morning!

craZee
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1705 times

My 1st call would be to my lawyer. Don't get screwed by an inefficient system. The pain moght be just starting. Glad you are alive to endure it.

AAA makes it a super high priority to get stranded cars off freeway exactly because of this. People target fixate and hit parked cars.

Liked
    2036 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Did the CHP trooper charge her with distracted driving or even mention it in his report?
    Wish I could tell you, I am going to follow up with the officer on this, I have his contact info written down.
    My brain was not functioning normally until the day after.
    I opened the driver door and grabbed my phone from the center console right after the accident with the idea of calling 911, but my hands were shaking so bad and my brain was so fried that I couldn't even figure out how to do that... the guys that were right behind her stopped to assist and one of them asked me if I'm calling 911 because he saw me holding the phone, I said "yes" but was unable to actually do it, he saw me fumbling around with it for some 20-30 seconds and realized I was not in a condition to do anything so he said don't worry I'll call.
    While I knew how close of a call this was it was only some hours after the accident that it sank in that I almost died, in my mind I was doing okay but I realize now how crazy this was. I was talking to the CHP officers in such a nonchalant manner, like it was a walk in the park..
    It was only when I got home to my wife some hours later that I realized that it might've been the last time I would've seen her and my girls.. I broke down in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    My 1st call would be to my lawyer. Don't get screwed by an inefficient system. The pain moght be just starting. Glad you are alive to endure it.
    Tell me more about this.
    I am not going to pretend to know anything about the legal side of things, school me, I'm happy to learn more about this, especially today, before my first conversation with the adjusters tomorrow.

Liked
    688 times

Glad you are Ok, Moti. Live to fight another day.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    814 times

For all the dangers our chosen sport entails, women drivers are the real threat.

Humor aside, it is a relief that you are safe. I hope your claims are adjudicated fairly and expediently. Don't wait for internet advice. Call an experienced persona injury attorney. Maximize the compensation you get from this, otherwise you may be inadvertently adding to your financial injury.

When can we expect cages for trailers?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    66 times

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    For all the dangers our chosen sport entails, ...................
    Sorry, not funny.

Moti,
    I'm really glad your okay, especially for your family. It's just a reminder how fragile our time is here, and we need to make the best of it.

Liked
    2036 times

Quote Originally Posted by GraemeD View Post
    we need to make the best of it.
    This was a wake up call for me, telling me to actively pursue experiences I have been "wanting to do some day".
    No day like today, no better time than now.
    I almost died with a whole laundry list of dreams, but I will change it.

Liked
    2343 times

Moti, you probably feel lucky, like this guy:

https://youtu.be/gFdGKeQph-Q

Liked
    2036 times

I had the same reaction, trying to hug the driver door as close as I could... which would've not help me at all had she gotten past the rear axle by any amount.

ETK
    Liked
    125 times

Glad you are OK! Terrifying! Bring on the self driving cars!
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

likes to left foot brake. passmenow's Avatar
    Liked
    95 times

as an air traffic controller I saw many dangerous general aviation pilots pull bone head moves.
    But what worried me most was knowing later they might be back in their cars on the freeways when I was driving home.

Today I can't believe how often I see drivers get completely unsighted where they let the car drift side to side as they look at the phone.

another stupid story before cell phones,
    Some guy driving across Texas middle of nowhere with no traffic decides to read his comic book.
    He places the book on his steering wheel and intentionally straddles the lane divider raised dots to alarm him if the road direction changes while he reads.
    He got pulled over and the cop did not like his story.
    74 911 RSR+.
    88 Imsa Camaro.
    93 Imsa Camaro.

Liked
    23 times

Glad you're OK! I find it frustrating that so much research, technology (and weight!) goes into making cars safer, while in the meantime nothing is done to make drivers safer.
    '09 rx8 sport

Liked
    2339 times

Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Glad you're OK! I find it frustrating that so much research, technology (and weight!) goes into making cars safer, while in the meantime nothing is done to make drivers safer.
    I just helped my parents shop for a car. Their new one has frontal collision avoidance, lane control, it parallel parks for them and more. Add in stability control, ABS, heads up displays, voice controls, etc. and I would say a lot is being done.
    bawareca and Loose Caboose like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast