+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How many here drive their racecar to the track?

Liked
    2 times

Default How many here drive their racecar to the track?

Hi all

How many here participating in door to door racing drive their race car to the track?

I have been trailering for a number of years and wishing for a simpler life ..... (until the car breaks and needs to be towed home anyway...)

Thanks.

Liked
    2363 times

I only know of a few people who do this. I can't say for sure, but I'll bet they all wished could trailer their car to the track, but I'd sure like to see where this thread goes.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Paging jonb94112. Wing, splitter, decals all over. What a sight he must be.

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by flink View Post
    Paging jonb94112. Wing, splitter, decals all over. What a sight he must be.
    Thanks Andrew....

I live in a pretty crowded city (San Francisco) and started out racing wheel to wheel without a trailer. I would borrow one from time to time, but I would more often than not just throw an extra set of wheels/tires in the back of my trunk and passenger seat and hope for the best. End of last season for NASA Nationals, I drove it and on Sunday evening when I realized I had to drive home and had only one headlight, I taped a flashlight where my headlight was and made the trek home.

Broke a couple times, but luckily had AAA to get me home. Leaving early in the morning keeps it less embarrassing as there aren't as many people on the road looking at my ridiculous setup with wing, splitter, stickers, numbers, etc. Have never been hassled by police, and have had a number of them ask me questions when stopped for food etc about my car, what I'm doing, how to get involved, etc. The worst part I would say is driving home in 100 degree weather with no ac and a fixed back seat.

I do have a trailer now, but sometimes I'll get lazy and just drive it. The best part is pulling the car into my garage at the end of a weekend with everything inside and just going upstairs. For someone who has easier trailer logistics(stored nearby, easy place to load, plenty of time to do it) I'd say it's not really worth considering. For others, I'd say it's doable to drive it to the track, but I can't say I would recommend it and I certainly can't say that it's the safest thing in the world to drive a caged race car on the street.
    flink and howang like this.

Liked
    53 times

Jon,

You haven't had any excess tire wear issues driving on hoosiers to sonoma/thill/bw with a track alignment?

Liked
    1720 times

I have considered buying a BMW M3 sedan with DCT to do exactly this. After a long Sunday at the track it would be nice to have an automatic tranny to get through LA traffic. It would be nice to have a Sedan so you could put 4 race tires where the back seat would be. It would be nice to have that big trunk for an easy-up tent, chairs and minimal tools. It would be nice to drive home from BRP at 70mph and be legal in cruise control. The E92 BMW has to make weight anyway for my class so the A/C can stay even if the weight is not located in the best spot in the chassis. I bet I can design a pinned retention system to swap in a race seat at the track and have the stock sofa seat for the ride home.

Liked
    887 times

Swaping seats sounds like a great idea.

Make sure to share your solution if you ever get around to it.

Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
    Jon,

You haven't had any excess tire wear issues driving on hoosiers to sonoma/thill/bw with a track alignment?
    Not too bad really, but for long drives I had a set of wheels with cheap street tires on them so I wouldn't wear out Hoosiers and were much more comfortable. The difference in comfort and noise between a Hoosier and a street tire is significant. If I needed two sets of tires I would have friends bring them. I think the toe is the biggest factor in tire wear-I run 1/8 total toe out front, 4.5 degrees camber front, 1/8 toe in rear with about 2.5 degrees camber in the rear. I do see some inner tire wear on those street tires, but not as bad as you would think.

There are always compromises, and you always seem to need something that you should have brought but didn't due to space limitations, but I've also been lucky to have good friends at the track like Andrew who bring most everything and are kind enough to share.
    RobertR1 likes this.

Sir flink
    Liked
    553 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I have considered buying a BMW M3 sedan with DCT to do exactly this.
    One of the guys up here converted his e46 into a racecar. The DCT just would not last a session without overheating. Apparently it's not fixable so TC design yanked it and installed a 5-speed.

Liked
    2 times

When I first started racing I drove to my first 2?? events I think. Agreed, very uncomfortable driving a race car on the street, with no air con and teeth chattering suspension. I vowed never to again after sweating buckets one particularly hot day driving to the track.

But the comment about just driving into the garage when you get home is spot on for me. The logistics with a trailer is a pita. Every solution is a compromise.

Sounds like it is the absolute minority driving to the track, same as here.

Liked
    232 times

Quote Originally Posted by mazmad View Post
    Hi all

How many here participating in door to door racing drive their race car to the track?
    Don't recall doing any "door to door" racing, but my first "wheel to wheel" race car was street legal and I drove it to the track. I would swap wheels and tires at the track. Had to leave it at the track twice for mechanical failures, and once when a tire wall in turn 6 at Laguna Seca hit me from behind. When we went to a 6 point cage requirement, I bought a track-only car.

We were having breakfast early one Saturday morning at the Willow Ranch in Buttonwillow, when we saw a guy drive up in a Mustang. He got out wearing his helmet, and took it off as he was walking in the door. He recognized us, came over and sat down with us. He had just finishing installing a roll bar his car, and he found that he kept hitting his head on it, so he drove from San Diego & back with his helmet on. What would a cop think??? Must have been an ugly roll bar installation if his head was hitting it with no helmet!
    ucfbrett and bawareca like this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    139 times

So are we talking w2w here or hpde? I street drive my HPDE car that I'm sure most people would consider too hardcore to street drive to the track. Street driving a car with a cage is a different animal entirely however. I've been tempted to go that route with my miata but I can't get over the idea of a roll cage in my face while driving on the street. That and losing functionality of the windows with the door bars.

ETK
    Liked
    127 times

I just made the switch from driving it to the track to trailering it. They are both a PITA. Driving to the track is the quickest, but here are the cons:

1) No AC/Heat.
    2) Fixed Back Seat = Back Pain.
    3) You can't bring as much stuff.
    4) Wind/tire/engine noise is fatiguing.
    5) No modern safety features. This was the deciding factor. I don't like taking long road trips without an airbag.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    2533 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    2) Fixed Back Seat = Back Pain.
    3) You can't bring as much stuff.
    4) tire noise is fatiguing.
    one possible fix is to tow a small Harbor Freight trailer behind the race car. carrying race seat, race tires, spares and tools.

I personally would never do it on a w2w car. but some seems to have made it work.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    51 times

I couldn't imagine driving a car that has a decent probability of not being driveable after the event to the track. That is the first issue. The second issue is that driving a car truly on the limit tears up equipment in a big way. And like I won't drive my car in an enduro (no problem driving someone elses) I won't drive my track car because of the wear and tear on the car in doing so. The last reason I would never do it is related to the first ( the car may not be in one piece to drive home ) I feel strongly that in order to be really fast, you need to be completely comfortable driving the car on the edge. If you are constantly worried about the car, you won't be driving on the limit.

My 2 cents. Buy a trailer if you care about being fast.
    bawareca likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    51 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    I just made the switch from driving it to the track to trailering it. They are both a PITA. Driving to the track is the quickest, but here are the cons:

5) No modern safety features. This was the deciding factor. I don't like taking long road trips without an airbag.
    Maybe we aren't talking about the same type of car here but, I feel way safer in my race car with a full cage and 6 point harness than I do in a standard car with airbags. Safety isn't a concern in any way for me.

Liked
    46 times

I do but I wish I didn't have to. I just don't have a truck or a trailer. No A/C or heater, non-operational windows. It was raining on the way home and I had to drive holding the door open to keep my windshield from fogging up.

Liked
    2363 times

Quote Originally Posted by superpilun View Post
    I do but I wish I didn't have to. I just don't have a truck or a trailer. No A/C or heater, non-operational windows. It was raining on the way home and I had to drive holding the door open to keep my windshield from fogging up.
    You need a towel wrapped around a squeegee so you can clear the windshield while belted in. Aka, racecar defogger.

Liked
    1720 times

Imo one of the things we do not see enough of is flat towing. You can flat tow a racecar on high profile street rubber behind a lesser suv or pickup that has a small tow capacity. You can then have all your gear, comfortable tow vehicle, but legally only drive 55mph in cali and no trailer storage. The 55mph thing is the only negative. That and if post race your car can't roll.

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Imo one of the things we do not see enough of is flat towing. You can flat tow a racecar on high profile street rubber behind a lesser suv or pickup that has a small tow capacity. You can then have all your gear, comfortable tow vehicle, but legally only drive 55mph in cali and no trailer storage. The 55mph thing is the only negative. That and if post race your car can't roll.
    That's like all downside and no upside other than no open trailer storage. Hell a dolly would be better.

Not all transmissions like rolling in neutral too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast