+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: how many cars have you totaled ? how many crashes

Liked
    2282 times

Default how many cars have you totaled ? how many crashes

just finish reading 350/370z - which one is uglier thread, turned out Chris has totaled 2 S2K, Richard 1 350z.

wondering how many cars have you totaled ? include number of rack days have you've attended (to get a ratio) ? were you hurt ? how did the car held up ?

there need to be a definition of a "total", let's be liberal, say a street car standard. so if you rolled it, even if it was fixed later, is still consider a "total". if you smashed it hard enough that more than 4 pcs of sheet metal need replacement, we will also call it a "total".

if you bang it hard enough that air bag deployed, and/or 2 pcs of sheet metal need replacing, let's call that a crash..
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    58 times

on track? zero

on street? 3 plus a motorcycle.

Liked
    114 times

this is a great discussion. Unfortunately, i have nothing to add, it would be a big Goose egg for me on all fronts.

Liked
    977 times

On track zero, on street zero.

Maybe I am not going fast enough.

Liked
    1477 times

I did most of my crashing when I was pretty new to running open track, like in the first year and a half. Totaled 350Z at Buttonwillow, and crashed B6 S4 at SoW twice, but it was not nearly totaled either time--just a few grand in paint and body and a new radiator. I also hit the hay bales between Turns 3 and 4 at WSIR in 2007 in the Miata, but the damage was pretty minimal. I never even fixed it, and I raced for 2 years that way after it happened. I also had a couple of really minor car contacts when I was racing the Miata, but again, nothing that I even bothered to fix. Oh, and I hit that hill on the infield of WSIR going up to Turn 4 in the S2K, but the damage was pretty minor. My mechanic pulled out the fender and we left it that way--was sold as a rolling chassis when motor blew not long after.

So a fair amount of carnage for me, but over approximately 300 race and open track days in the last 9 years. Never a scratch on the C4 Corvette, Evo VIII, or Formula Mazda. And at least I have never been hurt.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    57 times

On the street I totalled 1 car in 1998, almost died a few weeks before my 21st birthday.

On the track I haven't totalled any cars. Hit the tire wall at Thunderhill in 2002, but just did some damage to the fender of my Supra.

Not sure how many track days I've done, maybe 35 or 40 before I started racing last year. And maybe 60 so more since I started racing.

-mike

Liked
    2241 times

By William's definition of totaled:

- One street car. No serious injuries, banged my chin on the steering wheel on the way to the windshield. Not belted. I was too cool for that at 19. Traded that wrecked Trans Am for a neglected '69 Road Runner that ran and drove. Least reliable car I've ever ownedóand my last Chrysler productóbut it got more compliments and thumbs up than anything before or since.

- One race car. No injuries, thank God. Sore neck and back for a week. Still working on a viable solution to replacing the car without losing my wife.

You neglected to give us your total, William.

Liked
    1477 times

If we are talking about street cars, I totalled a 1990 BMW 535i. Broke my nose, a finger, and got 200 stitches in my head.

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    You neglected to give us your total, William.
    I was referring to track cars only.. (for street, we were all once young and stupid)
    but I've had zero track crashes or roll. had 1 contact total. and that's probably not a contact by Burgoon's definition, as I never went offline or off track.

200 stitches !!! you win
    don't they just pronounce you dead or something ?
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    977 times

I think that's called rubbing. And rubbing, son, is racing.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I was referring to track cars only.. (for street, we were all once young and stupid)
    but I've had zero track crashes or roll. had 1 contact total. and that's probably not a contact by Burgoon's definition, as I never went offline or off track.

200 stitches !!! you win
    don't they just pronounce you dead or something ?
    It's a funny story. I was driving on brand new tires that were a little oily, hit a patch of sand in a corner on Sepulveda Bl. in Sherman Oaks, slid sideways into oncoming traffic, and a big SUV broadsided me (on the passenger side, fortunately). It totalled the car (the fight with the insurance co. is another story), and I got taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I was in my younger (but not that young) stupid days, so I wan't wearing my seat belt. The air bag opened, but I wasn't sitting in front of it when it did. My head went through the driver's side window, broke it, and I got a bunch of cuts - the top right front edge of my scalp was a patch of hamburger.

OK, I guess all that is not so funny. But here's the funny part. I am in the Emergency Room and the nurse comes in and asks what must one of the stupidest questions of all time. She says "you have a choice, you can have the Emergency Room Doctor sew you up, or I can get a Plastic Surgeon to come down here and do it." Duh. I waited for the Plastic Surgeon. He did a good job because that part of my head healed and don't look like hambuger no more.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    It's a funny story. I was driving on brand new tires that were a little oily, hit a patch of sand in a corner on Sepulveda Bl. in Sherman Oaks, slid sideways into oncoming traffic, and a big SUV broadsided me (on the passenger side, fortunately). It totalled the car (the fight with the insurance co. is another story), and I got taken to the hospital in an ambulance. I was in my younger (but not that young) stupid days, so I wan't wearing my seat belt. The air bag opened, but I wasn't sitting in front of it when it did. My head went through the driver's side window, broke it, and I got a bunch of cuts - the top right front edge of my scalp was a patch of hamburger.

OK, I guess all that is not so funny. But here's the funny part. I am in the Emergency Room and the nurse comes in and asks what must one of the stupidest questions of all time. She says "you have a choice, you can have the Emergency Room Doctor sew you up, or I can get a Plastic Surgeon to come down here and do it." Duh. I waited for the Plastic Surgeon. He did a good job because that part of my head healed and don't look like hambuger no more.
    IDK if that is that dumb of a question, i know i my right mind i wouldn't be able to afford the services of a plastic surgeon and know that i would be better off financially getting the basic services done.

Just sayin'. I can understand why they would give you a choice.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    IDK if that is that dumb of a question, i know i my right mind i wouldn't be able to afford the services of a plastic surgeon and know that i would be better off financially getting the basic services done.

Just sayin'. I can understand why they would give you a choice.
    Don't you have health insurance? A plastic surgeon should be covered to fix you up after a car accident.

Liked
    114 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Don't you have health insurance? A plastic surgeon should be covered to fix you up after a car accident.
    Actually no. A trend that has been growing recently requires you to be hired on for more than a year before benefits begin, and i've been laid off 3 times in the last 4 years. Either companies moved or closed shop completely. Been at my current place for about a year, i wont be up for benefits and insurance for another 2 months or so. Being young and poor makes having the independent heath insurance options too expensive to consider. ( Though we did/do have insurance for the wifey as we were planning on having a child, but that was a different story).

Liked
    2165 times

Since this is in a racing context are you asking how many cars we have totalled that the postee owns... or do you just want to know in absolute terms how many cars we have totaled?

I have never totaled one of my own cars, but there is a Spec Miata in car heaven somewhere....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2282 times

Track cars only.

If you total someone else's track car, that count as 2

Or if you were like Emilio that scared a spec miata to crash into a Mustang. that count as 1/2
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-11-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

That sucks. The USA needs a single payer health care system like every other civilized Western democracy. I don't care what Oli says, Obamacare doesn't go anywhere near far enough to that end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neocataboi View Post
    Actually no. A trend that has been growing recently requires you to be hired on for more than a year before benefits begin, and i've been laid off 3 times in the last 4 years. Either companies moved or closed shop completely. Been at my current place for about a year, i wont be up for benefits and insurance for another 2 months or so. Being young and poor makes having the independent heath insurance options too expensive to consider. ( Though we did/do have insurance for the wifey as we were planning on having a child, but that was a different story).

Liked
    1429 times

per Williams standards, 1 crash per 180 track days. Maybe 130 races or so.

I'm going to deliberately leave out the rollover and many crashes in the oval car at ages 5-7...

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Since this is in a racing context are you asking how many cars we have totalled that the postee owns... or do you just want to know in absolute terms how many cars we have totaled?

I have never totaled one of my own cars, but there is a Spec Miata in car heaven somewhere....
    Didn't Clement's car come back with a new front clip? I'm not sure.

Liked
    11 times

I've done about 40 track days so far.

1 crash back in Feb 20, 2010 when I suddenly lost front grip on the entry to Turn 9 at WSIR. No brakes, no turn-in. Went off Turn 9 backwards at around 100 mph. Needed to fix some dents in the door, fender and replace the front bumper. Found out later that day that someone's mechanic forgot to screw in the transmission oil fill bolt, and was spilling oil all over Turn 9.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast