+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How green is your driving?

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    Why would one buy a motorhome that's not diesel? Or rather, why do they even make non-diesel motorhomes?
    you would be surprised. I have a class C motorhome (ones you see as a rental fleet, like Cruise America). probably less than 5% are diesel. if you exclude the Benz diesel (tall narrow ones), may be less than 1%.

Class A motorhome (bus like) are more popular with diesel. but those diesel pusher command a HUGE premium.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you would be surprised. I have a class C motorhome (ones you see as a rental fleet, like Cruise America). probably less than 5% are diesel. if you exclude the Benz diesel (tall narrow ones), may be less than 1%.

Class A motorhome (bus like) are more popular with diesel. but those diesel pusher command a HUGE premium.

Wow, ok gotcha. I would have thought motorhomes are the perfect candidate for diesel, especial considering the E-series Fords they're usually based off of were all available with diesel engines. I guess if you aren't towing, the V8/V10 power is enough, and if you are, you can get by with it. BTW my 5.3 liter gas Suburban had the hardest time pulling a friggin Miata over the grapevine. Like 2nd gear 45mph.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    Wow, ok gotcha. I would have thought motorhomes are the perfect candidate for diesel, especial considering the E-series Fords they're usually based off of were all available with diesel engines. I guess if you aren't towing, the V8/V10 power is enough, and if you are, you can get by with it. BTW my 5.3 liter gas Suburban had the hardest time pulling a friggin Miata over the grapevine. Like 2nd gear 45mph.
    I used to tow my Miata on flat trailer with a v6 Pathfinder. no problem over Grapevine, it tows easier than my E450 RV.
    I was shopping for diesel motorhome, you would think it made a lot of sense, but nope, couldn't find anyone have them (aside from the smaller Mercedes version). they do exist, but are and expensive.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

They way they build motorhomes is to take the smallest possible platform (gas engines seem to be cheaper) and glue the largest possible amount of stuff onto it. Leaving very little headroom in terms of frame strength, GCVW, etc. 3000 lbs towing capacity is common, many offer a 5000 lbs upgrade. More than 5000 is rare

I saw a guy at thunderhill last time towing an enclosed trailer with a cheap motorhome - 30-odd ft, x350 based, maybe 20 years old. "What's it like towing?" "OK up to 50, then it gets a bit scary".

Liked
    1429 times

What are the pitfalls of going over the capacity?

CHP rape-age?
    sway issues?
    hitch/frame failure?
    braking problems?
    power problems?

Seems like you could work around braking and power issues, but I'm not sure what scenario would "test" the capacity.

pucsicsal, sucks for your suburban. My 4x2 shortiecab ram is like 230hp with the old 5.2/318, but it still hauls ass up grapevine. It just chugs gas while it does it.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 08-17-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I used to tow my Miata on flat trailer with a v6 Pathfinder. no problem over Grapevine, it tows easier than my E450 RV.
    The 4.0 nissan vq is awesome. I was able to tow up grapevine doing ~75-80 switching between 4th / 5th gear easily. Yeah my rig was only ~3300lbs but its still very impressive for a V6.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    What are the pitfalls of going over the capacity?

CHP rape-age?
    Yup. Plus possible nasty legal liability problems if you get into a smash - if the plaintiff can prove that you were over capacity then...

sway issues?
    Yup, sway is perhaps manageable with appropriate loading and perhaps anti-sway controllers, etc.

Other problems are that the suspension isn't up to handling the trailer load. Also many motorhomes have added a huge overhang between the rear tires and the rear of the vehicle, which creates a long lever arm with which the trailer can wag the vehicle.

hitch/frame failure?
    Yes. This is probably fixable by getting a good shop to beef things up, but that still didn't increase your official load rating (I think - unless the shop can re-rate it). Hence legal liability..

braking problems?
    Should be a non-issue with electric trailer brakes.

power problems?
    I suppose so, but that's addressable by getting a powerful motorhome! Also attention would need to be paid to engine cooling, transmission cooling.

Seems like you could work around braking and power issues, but I'm not sure what scenario would "test" the capacity.
    Apparently driving a cheap mohome can be a pretty nail-biting experience, especially when poor surfaces, trucks and cross-winds are involved. And things get worse when you put a big trailer on the back.

Another problem is living in the 'burbs and only having a 25ft parking spot Although I could perhaps store the enclosed trailer offsite then use its 40ft spot...

Liked
    1429 times

dang, that's too bad.

Liked
    704 times

MPG SCORE : 73%
    VEHICLE : 2006 Subaru Outback
    You're green behind the wheel, but you keep it simple. It feels great to save gas whenever you can, but going overboard and completely altering your driving style to save a few bucks is counterproductive. There are other priorities for you in life besides hypermiling, but your MPG score is quite decent and you're off to a good start. Gas prices will only keep rising in the future, and when it gets to the point of actually hurting your wallet, then you might consider slowing down a little or buying an even more efficient car.

Simple Green, how did they know it's me?

Re: Towing

I've been towing my Miata for the last 2.5 years with a 98 4Runner. It was fine at first but now I bring way more stuff and am probably at the 5K pounds limit. It sure feels that way. I can't wait to get a new tow vehicle but I think it will have to wait unfortunately.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2