+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 9 Post By bellwilliam

Thread: How to do a European Ring / SPA trip

Liked
    2283 times

Default How to do a European Ring / SPA trip

it has been 18 months since we've done the Ring/SPA trip. I am gonna type this up before I forget: Rylan (I am sure he will chime in) is the expert, goes there every few months.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Flight

We flew from LAX direct to Dusseldorf by Air Berlin. Not sure if they still do that. it costs us ~$1,050 per person.

when flying into Germany. choose Dussledorf, Frankfurt or Stuttgart (where museum is, but further south). all within few hours of drives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geography

this link includes all the places I will be discussing
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/D%C3...d50.436912!3e0

The Ring is in Nurburg. NOT Nuremberg.

it is a small town, just a few hotels and restaurants. Because it also has a F1 track, it has a "commercial center", with some shops, roller coaster and kart center. But most of the shops are closed other than holidays.

btw, Hockenheimring is located 1/2 way between Stuttgart and the Ring. We visited it, took a few pictures. But didn't get to drive or see the track if you can on the track, please post here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Track day

public track days suck at the Ring. You are on the track with buses and motorcycle.
    go with private track days. These guys (below) are awesome !!!!!

DN Events

We showed up late both days at SPA, they charged us 1/2 day rate only.
    They run continuously. you pay per car (plus nominal $ for additional drivers) !!!!!!! so it isn't as expensive as it seems. 4 of us drove around non-stop (1 driver with 1 passenger, while the other 2 rest). that's a lot of seat time.

While we attended, they did SPA and Ring back to back (2 days at SPA, then 2 days at Ring). great for us.

Their next event (April 2015), is 1,000 pound (1 pound = 1.5 US dollar) per car with 1 driver for 2 VLN (Ring + F1 ciruit) days, add 50 pounds per driver. so 4 drivers in 1 car is ~$1,800. That's about $450 per person to do the 2 full day events at Ring. More if you are driving 2 cars (about $750 per person). You can also get a package deal including race car rental from rent4ring.

this is for SPA track days, we rented cars from them, but signed up track day with DN people. But it seem DN is not offering SPA track day this year, so here is some info.
    Trackdays » RSRSpa

Track day drivers are the same everywhere. most can't drive to save their lives. if you are black group here, you are more than black group driver there.

rental cars:

They say you can't take rental cars to the Ring. We didn't plan to, we drove on SPA instead
    they gave us a BMW 320d. okay car for Autobahn. I believe we cruised at ~140mph. although Autobahn is a bit over-rated for me. 80% of time, it is NOT unlimited speed. and is narrow.

rental race cars:

this is where is gets really expensive.
    all rental race cars are technically street legal, as the Ring is a public road. As for SPA, rental places drive the race cars (really is just street cars) TO SPA to rent to you (not tow). so all of them have either OEM seat belts or lousy dangerous 4 points belt (not ASM), bolt in roll cage, with noodles covering them.

2 places to rent race cars (there are 2 other places, but not as popular)
    Rent4Ring | Race car rentals at the Nurburgring Nordschleife
    They have this OBD2 thing. it records over-revs....there is a penalty every time you over-rev it (mechanical on down shift). 2 of us got dinged a couple of hundreds for it.

Home » RSRSpa and Home » RSRNurburg are both same company. based at Nurbergring. They just have 2 web sites, 1 for SPA, 1 for Ring.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hotel at Ring:

There are only a few, This hotel came highly recommended.

It is located right in middle of the track (Ring). If you are going to SPA, it is about 90 minutes away.

hotel rooms (probably only 15 rooms) upstairs. Bar and restaurant on ground floor. free breakfast (real breakfast).
    owner is English. located right in middle of the circuit. 5 nights cost us ~$700 Euro. This was for 1 room with 4 single beds. small room with a bathroom. food is good, beer even better. They also have 2 Renault for rent.

Burgstube Nürburg - Hotel and Track Car Rental at the Nürburgring - +49 170 8080256
    +49 (0) 170 8080256

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ring: aka Nordschleife

This is a 21-26 km long depending on config.

There are 3 config:

Bridge to Gantry - This is the public day mode most talk about. you drive on 19/20 part of the track. to picture this: BRP put a toll gate at Buttonhook, so you pay your toll at hot pit. drive BW13, first turn is Buttonhook. last turn is the Esses. you then exit to hot pit. and pay your toll again at hot pit. so Bridge to Gantry = Buttonhook to Esses.

complete track - I don't know how often this is ran. I think this is what manufacturer claim is. or could be how some private track days are ran.

VLN - GP track is right next to the Ring. so you run 3/4 of GP (F1) track and 49/50 part of the Ring. This is how they run the 24 hours races at the Ring. Because GP track has those F1 paddocks needed for pit. This is the config we ran during the private track days (but not all private days are VLN, many are Bridge to Gantry). I loved it, because it means you get to run a F1 track in addition to the Ring.

Language
    for some strange reason. both places I rented race cars from, hotel I stayed at, and track day promoter are all English..........apparently nobody speaks German

Museum
    museum are closed on Monday. Porsche and Mercedes museum are nice. both are in Stuttgart.

cool museums. Stuttgart is a bit out of the way. But it gives you a chance to also visit Hockenhiemring and drive on Autobahn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GT6

I practiced on GT6 for a week. I setup a similar car that I was going to rent, with street tires on my sim car (instead of R888 on real car). IMHO, if I can take Turn whatever flat in the SIM, I should be able to in real life
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-29-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    tq3z, fatbillybob, dball33 and 6 others like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    366 times

Thanks William!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    1486 times

On my bucket list! Competing in Runoffs and not totally sucking...done. Race at iconic tracks around the USA...in progress now to be completed November 2015. The nordschleife 2016??? TerryW. you in?

Liked
    2283 times

This trip cost us ~$3,400 per person. It was about the same as doing a 3 hours enduro in NORCAL then....and definitely cheaper than doing COTA this year

Though we were doing it on the cheap. Economy class in the plane. Suzuki sprint race car and 4 people in one room.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 01-29-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    12 times

Now just need to convince the wife we need to go on a German vacation next summer. Thanks William!
    FE3 NA - NB2 SM - 6262 AP1

Liked
    546 times

That sounded like a very cool trip!

At one time (this goes back about 10 years now) Hertz would charge 300 euro to pick up a car in Germany and drop it in Amsterdam (and vice-versa). While 300 euro might sound like a lot, at European gas prices, it was easily a wash versus the cost of driving back (We would often fly into AMS on the SFO-AMS nonstop, do work at our data center in Amsterdam, then drive to Frankfurt, work at out facility there, then either fly back to SFO or onwards). Needless to say, there might have been some scheduling wherein we had time to stop at the 'Ring along the way, as well as the various museums).

Steve

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Best annual thread on TrackHQ has arrived early this year.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2283 times

Paging Rylan
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    299 times

Great Summary and writeup. Maybe you can also include information about the karting tracks in the area. I believe we went to 2 right?
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR