+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: How to Decide when to move on from a project car...

  1. #21
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,335
    Liked
    765 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
    Yeah, my initial injury was in 2011 so I've been a healthy diet of that since then, plus many other things. I woke up on march 9th last year and had no control over my right leg, it was completely dead. Part of one of my herniated discs had torn off and was crushing my sciatic nerve. After a period of time with no improvement, the decision was made to have emergency surgery to remove the portion of the disc and hope for the best. I've recovered to around 80% of where I was before surgery, which is just enough to enjoy life to it's fullest extent.

    At this point, there just are no guarentees for me. I do all of the things you're supposed to do to stay healthy. Quite frankly, the doctors that see my medical imaging are amazed that I live daily with minimal pain and still am still active.
    I would love to hear more about your diet, I'm always interested in food as medicine sort of things. Do you supplement a combo of vitamin D3, K2 and A for for bone health? I find stuff like that fascinating.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  2. #22
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,835
    Liked
    817 times

    Default

    Despite being 34, I'm still in the pre-marriage phase, young, dumb and naive.

    I see it this way... I feel sorry for all of your married guys. It's Stockholm syndrome. It's seems like everyone bends over backwards to use family and kids to justify abandoned fun.

    Make track days family events. Brings a BBQ, TV, Playstation, Camping Equipment, and so on. I get that you can't determine what interests your kids do and do not have, but if you can drag your kids to church/sports/after school activities against their will, then a track day should be equally as well justified. It should go without saying that you'll need to return the favor and accompany your spouse and your kids on their preferred pleasure activities.

    Well, this is my plan, anyway. My fiancee is most definitely aware of it.
    bawareca and Johns_EvoIXSE like this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    179
    Liked
    141 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Despite being 34, I'm still in the pre-marriage phase, young, dumb and naive.

    I see it this way... I feel sorry for all of your married guys. It's Stockholm syndrome. It's seems like everyone bends over backwards to use family and kids to justify abandoned fun.

    Make track days family events. Brings a BBQ, TV, Playstation, Camping Equipment, and so on. I get that you can't determine what interests your kids do and do not have, but if you can drag your kids to church/sports/after school activities against their will, then a track day should be equally as well justified. It should go without saying that you'll need to return the favor and accompany your spouse and your kids on their preferred pleasure activities.

    Well, this is my plan, anyway. My fiancee is most definitely aware of it.
    There is nothing to be sorry for. My wife maintains a switzerland position on my car (and bike for that matter, which is arguably more expensive) habit. She refuses to give an opinion on if the miata should stay or go and has left it completely up to me. So really, it's more of my priorities changing then anything. I walk by a great car all the time and don't have much of a desire to use it, which in a way is a burden. I am fortunate that she also AutoX's and likes to have her own sports car which puts me in a position to still have a car to play with if the purpose built toy goes away.

    Regarding bringing the family to the track, that's a mistake imo. Part of staying in a happy relationship is time and hobbies away from each other. My wife enjoys her vacations from me when I am off on MTB trips or track days. Marriage (and i'm sure families) are for sure worth it and worth any trade offs that come. But my wife is a go-getter and she doesn't need me to make decisions for her on how to spend a weekend. IE, she's too smart to sit around and watch me do something for fun. :P

  4. #24
    Senior Member bellwilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    La Verne, California, United States
    Posts
    7,904
    Liked
    2533 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post
    Well, this is my plan, anyway. My fiancee is most definitely aware of it.
    come back in 10 years and tell us how that went

    ** all the married guys here are laughing their ass off **
    Olitho, Red_5, ucfbrett and 2 others like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

  5. #25
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,089
    Liked
    1721 times

    Default

    As a go fast crack dealer the answer to your dilemma is finding the answer yourself with guidance. My guidance would be assume you are going to sell the car. But before you do have one last hurrah. You live in OC, CA. So plan a trip to CoTA with speedventures perhaps. Don't be cheap get some new sticky tires. Stay in a good hotel and spend your not track time eating Texas BBQ and maybe do somebass fishing. If after that trip you still think selling is a good idea then sell it. Im convinced a good hit on the crack pipe of tracking will bring you back to your senses.
    Red_5 likes this.

  6. #26
    Member Cory M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    34
    Liked
    12 times

    Default

    Might be a relief to be done with it. There are a lot of nice street cars that do just fine at the occasional track day. You can pick up a nice Cayman S or used Corvette for mid to low twenties...
    MikeColangelo likes this.

  7. #27
    Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,835
    Liked
    817 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
    Regarding bringing the family to the track, that's a mistake imo. Part of staying in a happy relationship is time and hobbies away from each other. My wife enjoys her vacations from me when I am off on MTB trips or track days. Marriage (and i'm sure families) are for sure worth it and worth any trade offs that come. But my wife is a go-getter and she doesn't need me to make decisions for her on how to spend a weekend. IE, she's too smart to sit around and watch me do something for fun. :P
    You are definitely not wrong. There needs to be away time. It varies from family to family, to be sure. My tabletop gaming and video games will be my away time. Track days will be family bonding. Hopefully.

    It might take me a few marriages to figure this out.

    To get back on topic, a lack of motivation could signal many things. Maybe the issue is that the project is too close to completion and another is needed. Or it could be that the project is not close to completion, and every time you think about the car you are reminded of all the things that are left to do. With regards to the former, the solution is to start a new project. With regards to the latter, Moti's advice rings true: reevaluate what's needed to get the car running and do those things. Everything else is superfluous.
    Last edited by SDSUsnowboards; 03-14-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

  8. #28
    The Real Captain Slow Red_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    4,335
    Liked
    765 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDSUsnowboards View Post

    To get back on topic, a lack of motivation could signal many things. Maybe the issue is that the project is too close to completion and another is needed. Or it could be that the project is not close to completion, and every time you think about the car you are reminded of all the things that are left to do. With regards to the former, the solution is to start a new project.
    Erik, I think he's trying to sell you his MR-211 project.
    Olitho and SDSUsnowboards like this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

  9. #29
    fe4
    fe4 is offline
    Senior Member fe4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    136
    Liked
    58 times

    Default

    I have been trying to figure out how to get out of my Corvette and into a slightly more practical toy car (hopefully expecting kid 2 in a month or so) but it sounds like I should skip the intermediate step and just buy a minivan. And then have Moti cage it.

  10. #30
    Administrator ucfbrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ventura, Calif.
    Posts
    5,646
    Liked
    2364 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fe4 View Post
    I have been trying to figure out how to get out of my Corvette and into a slightly more practical toy car (hopefully expecting kid 2 in a month or so) but it sounds like I should skip the intermediate step and just buy a minivan. And then have Moti cage it.
    The answer is ... well, you know.

  11. #31
    http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northridge
    Posts
    2,351
    Liked
    2086 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fe4 View Post
    And then have Moti cage it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    The answer is ... well, you know.
    Wait, Moti Is Always The Answer?
    Did I have it wrong the whole time?!

    Erik, definitely let's go for a last hurrah and then make your decision.

  12. #32
    RaceTape Ninja Force McCocken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,551
    Liked
    813 times

    Default

    My wife still misses CA from time to time. I miss my friends there. There are so many more things about CA I don't miss, though. Each time I have returned for business, I keep remembering how crazy it is to live there. Sacrifice/risk vs reward.

    We moved from LA to Raleigh, NC and though it was good for my wife's career, it was just too small of a city for us. ATL has been great and makes economical sense for us.

    Regarding the car...I would say that if you haven't used it in that long, I would dump it. I was used to having 3-4 cars, but only two of us driving. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have that much tied up into an item that you don't use or won't appreciate financially. It's something you can come back to when you are healthier and have less burden on your plate.
    Yer pal,
    Force

  13. #33
    Senior Member fatbillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    by the beach
    Posts
    2,089
    Liked
    1721 times

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Force McCocken View Post
    There are so many more things about CA I don't miss, though. Each time I have returned for business, I keep remembering how crazy it is to live there. Sacrifice/risk vs reward.

    Not to go too politico...Cali is even crazier now. Since the election the heads of the majority Blues are blowing off. Everybody has a hair trigger and are having daily meltdowns. Bush coined the term "kinder gentler nation", We don't have that in Cali. Instead we have a discordant battle where there is a disconnect between the spoken words and physical actions. You are missing nothing living in ATL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts