+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Horrific NASCAR Nationwide crash @ Daytona

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Spettro View Post
    The ignorance and stupidity of people running their mouths all over the internet after this really has me ticked off. I'm not directing this at anyone here, I'm just venting. I find it disgusting people just use this as an excuse to rip on NASCAR as a sport and as a sanctioning body. People were injured, some of them badly, yet it seems all people want to do is make redneck jokes and talk **** about NASCAR. You'd think this would bring out a little bit of tolerance in people, guess I'm just an idealist.

All I want to share with my fellow track junkies is that I hope everyone is okay and has a speedy, problem free recovery, and that I have zero doubt in my mind that NASCAR does everything it can to keep drivers and fans safe while still allowing for exciting racing. **** happens in racing, it's the unfortunate dark side of the sport. The more you think about this, the worse you realize it could have been. I am so happy no one was killed, and I truely hope none of the injured people have long term quality of life issues due to this incident.
    Now, now. Don't get too riled up! I think most of the NASCAR jokes are in "good fun." And I am guessing that nearly all the TrackHQ guys recogonize that all of these teams and these drivers are insanely talented. Bumping and countersteering, in turbulance, at nearly 200 mph says it all. And NASCAR'S success as an "industry" is phenomenal. But, dude, some of their most loyal fans are a trip. I could be wrong, but I am guessing the F1 fans blow away NASCAR fans with respect to their average IWL* index.

*IQ/waist line (in inches at navel)
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I don't think it's a difficult problem to solve. As with most other major advances in safety in motor racing, a catalyst is often needed.
    Indeed, much like this one:

f1 crash that killed many spectators - Bing Videos

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1 View Post
    Warning: Flying engines on fire and wheels might splash you in the first 12 rows.
    Don't forget hot coolant, oil, possible flaming fuel cell, and if it lands in your lap free lifetime admission to any NASCAR event.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Raising the grandstands to compensate for raising the SAFER wall is totally out of the question.
    Again, I great idea in theory, but money drives this world. The cost of raising the granstands at 20 speedways would be so high NASCAR would have to raise ticket prices to a much higher level. NASCAR is so widely attended because ticket prices are low enough that the everyman can attend. If Bill the Walmart checker can't come to a race because all of a sudden it costs too much, then NASCAR has lost a fan, and they will lose a lot of paying fans who are upset they can no longer afford to attend the race. So not only do they spend millions, maybe even billions to raise the grandstands at roughly 20 speedways, but then they lose more money on top of that when they can't sell out each Sprint Cup event and lose the trust of their fan base which is the one thing that has built NASCAR to be what it is today. I'm not against your idea, if there was a practical way to do it then of course it should be done, but it's not exactly practical unfortunately to just raise the stands for everywhere NASCAR goes.

I really feel for the NASCAR brass right now, they have to make some tough decisions about what to do that will benefit the largest number of people, even if it means that a small number of people are negatively affected as a result. It's like being a commander on a battlefield. Even if you make the best tactical choice available, there are still going to be some casualties as a result of your action, you just have to try to minimize that number as much as possible.
    Last edited by Spettro; 02-25-2013 at 12:46 AM.
    Thanks to my sponsors: GarageStar and Limitless Motorsport

Liked
    742 times

Living in the heart of NASCAR country, and having lived and attended a few events at Charlotte Motor Speedway, I can tell you those barriers are pretty meager in person. I have also seen them at ACS, MIS, and AMS. I know the ushers at CMS are adamant to keep people off that landing down near the fence in case of this sort of accident. People have told me that people used to rush that area like a rock concert during the start and end of a race.

Like any spectator sport, there is a disclaimer on the back of the ticket. While not a blanket of security, it is about on par with getting beaned by a line drive foul ball at a baseball game or a puck watching hockey. Coincidentally, the baseline seats at baseball games are highly sought after. This reminds me of the nets now in place at both ends of hockey rinks that run about 20-30' above the glass because of a young girl who was killed by a puck at an NHL game in Columbus. Prior to that, as a season ticket holder in Detroit, I can recall about 4 or 5 instances of fans catching the puck in the face or head. Some where funny, most weren't.

I am already seeing a few private posts on FB from people I know who work in NASCAR about the barriers. As mentioned prior, this IS the catalyst for that change.

Something that wonder about, too, is some of these tracks are shared with INDY car. I don't know too much about the composition of those vehicles, but how bad would an Indy car coming apart in a similar situation? Sure, less mass, but don't they use more carbon fiber and exotic materials? Shards or CF or titanium shedding off an INDY car would be just as horrific, I would think.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    1429 times

Anyone think Jimmie tore his splitter off on purpose after the race?

Liked
    2282 times

this is funny....
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    For what reason? Post-race tech? Don't know how it works in NASCAR.

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    this is funny....
    感謝你的有趣的視頻!
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 02-25-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Ham
    Liked
    15 times

What in the world? Chinese media -__________-'
    1996 Mazda Miata
    Starlight Mica
    M-Edition

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    What in the world? Chinese media -__________-'
    Almost but not quite. The animation is from a satirical Taiwanese web site. All in good fun - and very funny.

Ham
    Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Almost but not quite. The animation is from a satirical Taiwanese web site. All in good fun - and very funny.
    OIC. My dad never taught me any Catonese so I find myself as a clueless American.
    1996 Mazda Miata
    Starlight Mica
    M-Edition

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Dan Wheldon, Kenny Brack, Ryan Briscoe, the fans at this NASCAR race, etc all would have been fine if the SAFER barrier were built higher.

Seems like a pretty simple/obvious solution to an ongoing problem.

$.02
    I agree that the mesh fence is what the major problem is. But if you do raise the wall/safer barrier to 20-30 feet high and you raise the grandstands, as the cars hug the walls the fans would not be able to see the cars on the same turn or straight the stands are in. While admittedly safer, I don't know if NASCAR will do that to the fans.

How long ago were fences even implemented on ovals?

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    It's possible but will only be speculation. Teams have been caught in the past telling their winning driver post-race to smash part X (front bumper, rear, etc...). I wont accuse him of intentionally tearing his splitter off but the Gen6 cars do have a major issue with grass and it's customary to spin through the "DAYTONA" logo after winning the 500.

Billy
    Last edited by Stuntman; 02-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2