+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Horrific NASCAR Nationwide crash @ Daytona

Liked
    977 times

Default Horrific NASCAR Nationwide crash @ Daytona

Woah. Don't remember ever seeing an engine come flying out like this into the stands.

Liked
    38 times

I don't know what I find more horrific, the crash or that Amir watches NASCAR....
    hakeem, bawareca and JJ1 like this.

Liked
    142 times

Someone was hit by a tire, there was a video that showed who got hit by the tire but it was taken down due to copyright claim by NASCAR
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    Someone was hit by a tire, there was a video that showed who got hit by the tire but it was taken down due to copyright claim by NASCAR
    You can never censor the interwebs:

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Wow, i hope everyones ok.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times

Liked
    366 times

All white people. Every last one.
    JJ1 likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    91 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    All white people. Every last one.
    What's your point?
    Theseus: '94 Miata, NASA SU/TTU (in progress)
    Rover: '90 Miata, NASA PTE/E3

Liked
    3 times

The ignorance and stupidity of people running their mouths all over the internet after this really has me ticked off. I'm not directing this at anyone here, I'm just venting. I find it disgusting people just use this as an excuse to rip on NASCAR as a sport and as a sanctioning body. People were injured, some of them badly, yet it seems all people want to do is make redneck jokes and talk **** about NASCAR. You'd think this would bring out a little bit of tolerance in people, guess I'm just an idealist.

All I want to share with my fellow track junkies is that I hope everyone is okay and has a speedy, problem free recovery, and that I have zero doubt in my mind that NASCAR does everything it can to keep drivers and fans safe while still allowing for exciting racing. **** happens in racing, it's the unfortunate dark side of the sport. The more you think about this, the worse you realize it could have been. I am so happy no one was killed, and I truely hope none of the injured people have long term quality of life issues due to this incident.
    Thanks to my sponsors: GarageStar and Limitless Motorsport

Liked
    1429 times

Other sports are plenty dangerous for fans. Soccer fans... riots...
    ucfbrett, Johnny_Se7en and suki101 like this.

Liked
    165 times

Dan Wheldon, Kenny Brack, Ryan Briscoe, the fans at this NASCAR race, etc all would have been fine if the SAFER barrier were built higher.

Seems like a pretty simple/obvious solution to an ongoing problem.

$.02

Liked
    133 times

Quote Originally Posted by Spettro View Post
    The ignorance and stupidity of people running their mouths all over the internet after this really has me ticked off. I'm not directing this at anyone here, I'm just venting. I find it disgusting people just use this as an excuse to rip on NASCAR as a sport and as a sanctioning body. People were injured, some of them badly, yet it seems all people want to do is make redneck jokes and talk **** about NASCAR. You'd think this would bring out a little bit of tolerance in people, guess I'm just an idealist.

All I want to share with my fellow track junkies is that I hope everyone is okay and has a speedy, problem free recovery, and that I have zero doubt in my mind that NASCAR does everything it can to keep drivers and fans safe while still allowing for exciting racing. **** happens in racing, it's the unfortunate dark side of the sport. The more you think about this, the worse you realize it could have been. I am so happy no one was killed, and I truely hope none of the injured people have long term quality of life issues due to this incident.
    While I understand the underlying motivation and frustration that's driving your comments. I don't fully agree. NASCAR as an organization makes enough money where they should be continually advancing fan and driver safety. They've done a good job on the cars (not so much for indycar) but catch fencing is insufficient and has been around in it's current state for far too long. The idea that major accidents with collateral damage as "**** happens" just isn't acceptable. People shouldn't need to take their life into their own hands to come and watch a motor race. There is enough money and engineering going on within the sport where there are better solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Dan Wheldon, Kenny Brack, Ryan Briscoe, the fans at this NASCAR race, etc all would have been fine if the SAFER barrier were built higher.

Seems like a pretty simple/obvious solution to an ongoing problem.

$.02
    Agreed.

Liked
    3 times

While it would be nice to have higher walls at the tracks, it obstructs the fans views. If fans can't see the race from the stands, they will just stay home instead. Not selling tickets loses money for the sport, which then doesn't allow for even more safety advances, etc. They have to walk a fine line between safety and fan involvement. It's a lot more complicated than just building taller walls or thicker fences.

You get a much better seat at home, so why go to the race anyway? The sights, smells, and sounds of being so close to the action. If you take that away, people won't show up. Find a way to make see through walls and maybe the races could be 100% safe and still as enjoyable for the fans. It's a difficult problem to solve, I for one have no idea what the best course of action would be not keep people safe yet not take away all of the reasons to go to the event in person.
    Last edited by Spettro; 02-24-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Thanks to my sponsors: GarageStar and Limitless Motorsport

Liked
    977 times

I don't think it's a difficult problem to solve. As with most other major advances in safety in motor racing, a catalyst is often needed.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Spettro View Post
    While it would be nice to have higher walls at the tracks, it obstructs the fans views. If fans can't see the race from the stands, they will just stay home instead. Not selling tickets loses money for the sport, which then doesn't allow for even more safety advances, etc. They have to walk a fine line between safety and fan involvement. It's a lot more complicated than just building taller walls or thicker fences.

You get a much better seat at home, so why go to the race anyway? The sights, smells, and sounds of being so close to the action. If you take that away, people won't show up. Find a way to make see through walls and maybe the races could be 100% safe and still as enjoyable for the fans. It's a difficult problem to solve, I for one have no idea what the best course of action would be not keep people safe yet not take away all of the reasons to go to the event in person.
    Yeah, you're right. Raising the grandstands to compensate for raising the SAFER wall is totally out of the question.

Liked
    545 times

You'd also have to narrow the track so that the cars didn't get "hidden" under the ultra-tall SAFER barrier. And at the smaller tracks then you end up with a one groove track.

Admittedly, it'll save money by just having qualifying and no racing (since there will be no point to racing since you can't pass) but I don't think it'll be popular.

Steve

Liked
    142 times

I start looking at the components that failed and perform an FMEA. The next thing would be to build another fence 20 ft. behind the first one, nobody except track officials and safety crews are allowed in no man's land. Sure it will take away a few hundred seats and it will look ugly but it will catch the large parts from flying in to the crowd.

Oh one last thing place add a few right turns.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    2241 times

When you go to the killer whale show at Sea World, the front rows are clearly labeled "Splash Zone." Maybe NASCAR should do the same.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Warning: Flying engines on fire and wheels might splash you in the first 12 rows.

JJ1
    Liked
    177 times

Im sure they could build a safer fence that doesn't keep people from having a good time, and for much less than they are about to be sued for probably. I don't see how anyone can reasonably argue that the fans should have to worry about a car flying into the grandstands. I really doubt the two people (and their families) in the hospital thought that was a risk they were taking. Drivers take a calculated risk, but fans should only have to worry about fighting with other drunken belligerent fans. And Im not saying all NASCAR fans are drunken and belligerent, theres just a lot of that at any major sporting event.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast