+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honda F1 - First Things First

Liked
    854 times

Default Honda F1 - First Things First

I probably don't understand, but it seems like the rules are a disincentive to introducing new motors.

Anyway, it seems Honda wants to proceed in a very deliberate manner.

McLaren-Honda won't use F1 engine tokens for Spanish GP - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Liked
    76 times

They are probably saving their engine tokens for when they really need them. Since the engine is so new, there are probably more gains to be found in areas that don't require tokens to be used. They probably believe that the foundation for their engine design will be competitive as is once they shake out all the bugs. It's a smart play in my book. Honda-McClaren have repeatededly said they are thinking long term so it only makes sense.

Question: if they don't use all the tokens allotted for this season, do they roll over to the next season? The allotted tokens get less and less over a 5 year span if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 05-07-2015 at 05:15 PM.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johns_EvoIXSE View Post
    Question: if they don't use all the tokens allotted for this season, do they roll over to the next season? The allotted tokens get less and less over a 5 year span if I remember correctly.
    They do now:

Renault saving F1 engine upgrade tokens for mid-season update - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

In the meantime:

"Danny Ricciardo, who scored his first three wins last year, will already be using the fourth and last allotted unit in Barcelona, which means that he might start collecting Grid penalties as early as Monaco, and mind you, Renault hasnít introduced a single improvement yet."
    Last edited by Loose Caboose; 05-07-2015 at 06:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread