+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hey, don't tell anybody..

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    The tires didn't seem like they were up to their full operating temp and I have not experimented much with tire pressures and fine tuning the setup.. so I guess the trick is to know when to abort a botched corner and straighten the car out
    With a splitter, if you botch the corner you're liable to botch the splitter.

But yeah, ideally you have the tires squirming in every corner like I was starting to in 3,4, and 5. Shame we didn't get video or temps.

Liked
    545 times

I would definitely go for a Spec Vic class!

I'd offer to trade dinner up north for a look at the car but we're actually down in LA this week with family.

Steve

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    I would definitely go for a Spec Vic class!

I'd offer to trade dinner up north for a look at the car but we're actually down in LA this week with family.

Steve
    Hit me up if you're going to be driving through San Luis Obispo and want to try and meet up.. You know the very first "motel" or "motor hotel" in the world, "The Motel Inn" was/is here in San Luis Obispo and it was established as the perfect half-way point to accommodate motorists that were traveling between Los Angeles and San Francisco

Liked
    114 times

Is there something specific that you'd like to see pics of?

I'll be taking two flagpoles to San Francisco in the morning..Attachment 9256
    That's cool! Just wanted to see the details of your build! I like when people, "think out of the box" and build the "unorthodox" build.

I know you've put more money into this particular build, but it's got me thinking about a Track HQ crowd-sourced, "Grassroots Motorsports 2016 Challenge"!

Liked
    73 times

"downforce was confusing me and "not my car" was on my mind."

I really want to thank you again Rob. I feel like you were very respectful of my car and that you treated it better than you would if it were your own. You could not have been any cooler and that says a lot about your character. I also like your "don't knock it til you try it attitude" and I really appreciate all of the input you've given me. It's very encouraging and quite frankly, it's been a long time coming..

Thanks again!
    bawareca and SDSUsnowboards like this.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    With a splitter, if you botch the corner you're liable to botch the splitter.

But yeah, ideally you have the tires squirming in every corner like I was starting to in 3,4, and 5. Shame we didn't get video or temps.
    Splitters are more or less disposable.. I worry a lot more about shredding a fresh set of tires than splintering up some plywood.. I should make a tracing of what I have now for future reference though..
    I'm going to focus on the Teksid short block swap and brakes.. do the good pads have to get hot to work good? Like if you went out and ran a good, hard, 20 minute session, do they have to get hot again to get good bite when you start your next session an hour later?

I see carbotech makes pads for the cv but they're pricey.. the Performance Friction pads I had on the car when you drove it are a lot more like the Hawk HPS street pads I tried before than the bendix pads I had on it before that.. the bendix pads kind of came alive and got that really good bite when they got hot and I was thinking the performance friction might do the same but they were duds like the hawk hps.. also the first lap of my second session on the bendix pads the bite was not there and I spun the car off the track but the bite came back with heat and they did not fade at all or give me a spongy pedal like it had after your session.. and that was with regular cheap DOT 3 brake fluid..

Next time we'll get video, timing, and tire temps..
    Last edited by slodrew; 08-13-2015 at 01:53 PM.
    robburgoon likes this.

Liked
    20 times

Awesome thread. I wish someone around my area would build one of these. Pure entertainment.
    '99 miata

Liked
    73 times

next time I want to run in your run group too Rob lol! I don't know if you use your Miata for regular track days but following you around WSIR in my crown vic would be a blast cause I'd be all up on your ass lol

Liked
    1429 times

Splitters are more or less disposable.. I worry a lot more about shredding a fresh set of tires than splintering up some plywood.. I should make a tracing of what I have now for future reference though..
    I'm going to focus on the Teksid short block swap and brakes.. do the good pads have to get hot to work good? Like if you went out and ran a good, hard, 20 minute session, do they have to get hot again to get good bite when you start your next session an hour later?

I see carbotech makes pads for the cv but they're pricey.. the Performance Friction pads I had on the car when you drove it are a lot more like the Hawk HPS street pads I tried before than the bendix pads I had on it before that.. the bendix pads kind of came alive and got that really good bite when they got hot and I was thinking the performance friction might do the same but they were duds like the hawk hps.. also the first lap of my second session on the bendix pads the bite was not there and I spun the car off the track but the bite came back with heat and they did not fade at all or give me a spongy pedal like it had after your session.. and that was with regular cheap DOT 3 brake fluid..

Next time we'll get video, timing, and tire temps..
    Try Hawk DTC-60.

80-hawk_compound_graph_dcad6be2bd6f8bd4b86a28da35177dc57f7e1eb3.jpg

I think I have some hawk bucks laying around.

You're gonna want some serious brake fluid. Try Castrol SRF or that RT700 stuff. Something with dry boiling point north of 550 and wet over 400.

Race brakes will work when cold, they just work harder when hot.
    Last edited by robburgoon; 08-13-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Liked
    1429 times

next time I want to run in your run group too Rob lol! I don't know if you use your Miata for regular track days but following you around WSIR in my crown vic would be a blast cause I'd be all up on your ass lol
    I do sometimes, but it's gonna get obnoxious when you're running me down in straights and I just vanish into 2. Following dissimilar cars isn't much fun.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    73 times

all hawk makes for the vic are the HPS but carbotech has their whole line up.. XP8, 10, 12, 20, 24.. RP2 and a couple others.. and I already own a couple bottles of RBF600 which is what Emilio uses in his cars..

Boiling point

Dry: 594F (312C)

Wet: 421F (216C)

Liked
    1429 times

all hawk makes for the vic are the HPS but carbotech has their whole line up.. XP8, 10, 12, 20, 24.. RP2 and a couple others.. and I already own a couple bottles of RBF600 which is what Emilio uses in his cars..

Boiling point

Dry: 594F (312C)

Wet: 421F (216C)
    Some of the higher heat tolerant carbotechs might be a good option. I prefer them to hawks.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I do sometimes, but it's gonna get obnoxious when you're running me down in straights and I just vanish into 2. Following dissimilar cars isn't much fun.
    is your S2000 a better match? It would be the best learning experience for me if you're driving something with less grip than my car or maybe just ride with you in my car.. driving angrier everywhere couldn't hurt either..

Liked
    1429 times

is your S2000 a better match? It would be the best learning experience for me if you're driving something with less grip than my car or maybe just ride with you in my car.. driving angrier everywhere couldn't hurt either..
    Yeah, it's a better match. Lots more power in the S2k.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Which pfc pads were they?

Liked
    73 times

I'll be lighter, have a lot better brakes, and I should have quite a bit more power.. I'm working now on figuring out the best way to cut valve reliefs in the teksid short block's pistons without having to disassemble anything.. The cams I'm running will love the added compression and I think it will really come alive if I open up the intake with the 90 mm lightning MAF and a JLT CAI that I already own.. getting rid of the cats probably wouldn't hurt either but it would be way too loud for the street..

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Which pfc pads were they?
    Performance Friction 0931.20 Carbon Metallic Brake Pads

Liked
    73 times

is it a common characteristic of high performance pads to not bite until they're hot after a cool down after getting them really hot? that is how the bendix behave.. almost like they get glazed over when they cool down after running them really hard and not wanting to bite until that glaze starts to melt again.. they return to normal with a little bit of normal street use too though

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

You need a track pad like an 01 or 08
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1429 times

I'm frankly shocked the car didn't try to kill me if it was on a HPS style pad. I probably wouldn't have driven it at all if I knew that going into it, haha.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast