+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hey, don't tell anybody..

Liked
    73 times

Default Hey, don't tell anybody..

But I think Rob Burgoon has a thing for my Crown Vic..
    SteveLevin, 2GRX7 and Fabman like this.

Liked
    1429 times

True story. While I was driving it I'd forgotten it has a splitter and a spoiler. Was creeping up on going through 8 at full throttle in a big heavy car and was completely befuddled why it was so effortless and planted.

Balance was good, detroit locker was surprisingly well behaved, car would still turn under power in the omega, and downforce is like god mode.

Even the brakes survived!

Was laughing out loud with a big grin in the last couple laps. My expectations were completely blown away. Who knew a 4,000 pound car could be such a baller in the corners!

Big thanks to Andrew for letting me drive it. That was REALLY fun.
    SteveLevin, 2GRX7, tq3z and 4 others like this.

Liked
    1429 times

Found myself in turn 9 leaning hard against a door labeled "ballistic panel" thinking, "didn't I just pull roughly the same G load in an s2000 last session? How is this happening!?!"
    2GRX7, Pure EvoIX, slodrew and 1 others like this.

Liked
    73 times

The brake pedal was definitely spongy for awhile on the way home so I ordered some bendix pads and I think you'll be amazed by how much better they work.. Get this, when I filled up on the way home the car had traveled 158 miles with at least 30 of those miles on the track and it took 11.5 gallons to fill it.. that's almost 14 miles per gallon.. and on the way to the track I got over 25 mpg..

it's weird, I always think the car is going to seem tired after a track day but it always seems to run better.. it was beastly on 166 on the way home.. 150k + miles
    and almost 2700 idle hours

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    Found myself in turn 9 leaning hard against a door labeled "ballistic panel" thinking, "didn't I just pull roughly the same G load in an s2000 last session? How is this happening!?!"
    If you were in the power in 5th gear you were doing at least 115 -120 which is good for mid 1:30's.. and you were definitely on par with the fastest cars on the track.. shed a couple/few hundred pounds (teksid block and A/C delete is good for 160 lbs.) and add 30-40 hp, which will come along with the teksid block, and it will easily be good for low 1:30's

Liked
    237 times
    slodrew likes this.

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
    But I think Rob Burgoon has a thing for my Crown Vic..
    Not going to lie...so do I
    slodrew likes this.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by heypal View Post
    Not going to lie...so do I
    I'll bet he was thinking about it when he woke up this morning..
    and he's probably thinking about it now lol

Liked
    1486 times

Is that the vic you built and acquired cheap? Post up the synopsis of the vic. I would race spec-Vic.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Is that the vic you built and acquired cheap? Post up the synopsis of the vic. I would race spec-Vic.
    yessir! $1800 auction price and I hear that they can be bought much much cheaper by people in the know that are licensed car dealers.. the suspension can be made to work remarkably well by simply cutting the front springs just enough that you can reassemble the strut assemblies w/out using a spring compressor.. I say strut assemblies because technically that's what they are but they are not to be confused with McPhearson struts.. CV's have upper and lower control arms and you can get plenty of negative camber when you cut them down like this.. The rear is a little more of a PITA because after you cut the springs they wont sit right in the perches without using a torch lol. next thing you want to do is a manual trans swap and that is when the crown vic really becomes cool. It's a PITA in some respects, mostly because the firewall was not designed for the stress that a clutch pedal will put on it and tuning a drive by wire manual swapped vic can be challenging.. ok then it's all about putting as much sticky rubber on the road as possible.. I went with the American racing Torque Thrust 17" x 10.5" with 315/35/17 NT01's simply because that was the cheapest combo that I could come up with that would fit under the fenders. All you need is a baseball bat and someone to drive the car back and forth slowly as you roll the bat between the tires and the wheel wells a few times and you're good to go.
    Oh yeah, air dam, splitter, and rear spoiler can be had pretty cheap and are great bang for the buck as well.. cabinet grade birch ply for the splitter.. racer's plastic for the air dam, and I just used a piece of plexiglass and a piano hinge for the spoiler.. i'm a DIY guy lol..

The other approach would be no mods allowed. Take the cars from the auction block to the podium.. their cooling and brake systems are engineered to to take a beating and the cop spec goodyears work remarkably well and last a long time
    2GRX7 likes this.

Liked
    73 times

It would be a kick in the pants to run enduros with stock CVPI's on a dirt oval.. cars just taken out of service (mine was listed as "ready" so I knew it was good to go) and taken to the track.. could even do a group buy and have the participants draw numbers for car selection lol..

there's nothing like steering with the long skinny pedal on the right.. right?
    Fabman likes this.

Liked
    226 times

I'm liking the concept of a Spec Vic class.Brings back memories of NASCAR in the 60's.
    slodrew likes this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    114 times

This is what's really cool about Track HQ- seeing stuff like this on here! Thanks for sharing, Slodrew! More pics, please!
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
    This is what's really cool about Track HQ- seeing stuff like this on here! Thanks for sharing, Slodrew! More pics, please!
    Is there something specific that you'd like to see pics of?

I'll be taking two flagpoles to San Francisco in the morning..20150811_112614-copy.jpg
    2GRX7, Pure EvoIX and Fabman like this.

Liked
    1429 times

That pic does the air dam some justice.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2165 times

Is there something specific that you'd like to see pics of?

I'll be taking two flagpoles to San Francisco in the morning..Attachment 9256

It looks like a Moti Creampuff on steroids and retaining water....
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    73 times

Rob, were you feeling like the limit was still a long ways away or were you not far from the cars maximum cornering speeds? lol!

<mumbling to myself> "...I sure hope those bendix fleet metlok titanium pads were as much better as I remember them being.."

Liked
    73 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    That pic does the air dam some justice.
    I've been thinking about tucking the front bumper cover back a few inches to close in the space in the wheel wells like I did in the back.. yup, I think I'm going to have to try that out..

Liked
    1429 times

Rob, were you feeling like the limit was still a long ways away or were you not far from the cars maximum cornering speeds? lol!

<mumbling to myself> "...I sure hope those bendix fleet metlok titanium pads were as much better as I remember them being.."
    I believe I got a small slide going in 2 a couple times, hung it out a smidge in 3, 4, 5. It was utterly planted in 6,7,8. 1 and 9 the downforce was confusing me and "not my car" was on my mind.

I could enter 2 a lot harder, and could brake much harder going into 3, but that might have wiped out the brakes. I could go down 5 a lot angrier, but it's an easy place to have an off. 1 and 9 are tricky to exploit in the best of circumstances.

There are absolutely more seconds to be had, but I would need instructions along the lines of "splitter is disposable" or more than one session to do it. Seat, harness, and roll bar will knock even more time off.

I think you're gonna need real race pads, and even then it's not going to be enough at other tracks. Air ducts will help. The best move might be to just completely give up on most of the tracks that require hard braking and focus on WSIR and maybe buttonwillow and thunderhill.

Liked
    73 times

The tires didn't seem like they were up to their full operating temp and I have not experimented much with tire pressures and fine tuning the setup.. so I guess the trick is to know when to abort a botched corner and straighten the car out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast