+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet cam video from my kart

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    I like to try a wet kart day this winter. AJ/Jeff you guys down for it?
    Yeah! Just need to rainproof my kart/gear.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB View Post
    I highly recommend this. Not for the faint of heart though.

Earlier this year I spent a day driving a Shifter in down-pour conditions at Willowsprings on slicks. It was like a water ride. Unforgiving track conditions changed every lap with the rain intensity fluctuating. Certain sections of the track were flooded in standing water immediately following the heavier rains. I never put the kart off, but it took all of my concentration to keep the kart moving forward. Rubbered in corners become ice. Simply accelerating out of the corner on slicks is a challenge. The slightest of slightest misapplication of throttle spins the tires.

Spending the day, soaking wet and cold, was worth every penny. Here's why: it forces the driver to constantly reevaluate every corner of every lap for every tenth of a second. The threshold one lap is completely different the next. Within a few corners, your compensating with a soft touch, sensing the limit of every inch of track, and using ALL available grip. The driver adjustment happens quickly, and before long you'll be strategizing your next pass.

Do it.
    Wow that sounds like fun fun fun! But it also seems like a lot of work on slicks. I'll try it with rain tires first.

Recommendation: For those who want to kart, but don't have their own kart, I highly recommend renting from US Racetronics, located at Buttonwillow. The karts are 125cc tags. They are maintained in excellent condition. The buttonwillow kart track is a favorite of mine.

I've rented from US Racetronics many times. I've rented solo and as groups. Definitely worth checking out. I know that a few regulars here will agree (who have also rented from US Racetronics).

Karting-Experience
    +1 I rented with them once. Their karts are fast and trouble free. But if you go regularly, its best to buy your own kart. Average rental on a TAG is Approx $200 per hour track time. If you have your own kart, all you need is pay for the track fee ~$45 and gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    How much are you guys paying for these karts? I was talking to AJ about it and this might just be a cool/better way to get my driving cravings in if you go regularly.
    Depending on the setup. Since I was shopping for a kart recently, here is my take on the current market prices. a decent KT100 ~$2200 - $2500. a Decent Rotax ~$3200 - $3500. And then Fireball engine karts are around $2500 - $2800. Leopard Karts ~$3000. If you are interested in one I can sell you my rebel rotax sr for good price since i just got a TK Roller for a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Yeah! Just need to rainproof my kart/gear.
    You need to show me how to rain proof the kart when the time comes.

Liked
    15 times

Manly I'm with Jeff. If you haven't sold it yet, keep the Rotax!

Ameer, Not taking away from Manly but I bet Brent would sell one of his as well. Still not sure why he bought the second one.

Liked
    34 times

Well, since i got the TK chassis coming in, I don't need 2 karts. And I want to build on the TK. I will try to find a used rotax for it. I should of hit up brent b4 i bought the rebel.

Liked
    15 times

manly i want ur rotax!!
    just let me find a place to put it first =)
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Liked
    34 times

cool, Alex. you get first dibs. You can store it in your living room if you stand it up right against the wall. Same way to get it in yoru front door too. Oh wait, you are on the second floor. That might be a problem.

anyways, the kart comes with an AIM 3 dash that reads Temp, RPM and Laptime. I believe that alone is pretty pricey. And it has a ribtect carbon seat, extra set of wheels and tires, trickle charger. I got it for $3400 less than a month ago. And only took it out once. CSW has NAscar week recently, so track is closed. You can have it for $3k. And if you don't need the AIM dash and the extra set of rims. I can let you have it for $2800. Because i can use those parts for the Tony chassis. u are welcome to come check it out. u have my number

Liked
    366 times

Didn't William post a thread as well about the costs of these on THQ? I am having a hard time finding it =[

I think karting was almost as expensive as tracking your car in the end, right?

But it looks so much more fun
    Do you understand?

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by tq3z View Post
    Didn't William post a thread as well about the costs of these on THQ? I am having a hard time finding it =[

I think karting was almost as expensive as tracking your car in the end, right?

But it looks so much more fun

Yes that was for competitive W2W for the top runners i believe. Those guys change chassis and rebuild their engine quite often. but running track days, you can't beat karting for the thrill IMO. Tires are less than $200 for a new set. Gas mileage is good, way better than a Prius. lol. and a track day is $45. The best bang for a close to F1 experience. haha

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    HPV's are reliable if you limit the revs to about 15,500. IKF guys run them over 16,500 but rebuild them almost every event.

Rotax & KT100 I am not too familiar with, but everyone seems to say Rotax are very reliable. I say forget KT100 because they are slow...
    Unless times have changed dramatically, I don't remember rebuilding my HPV more than once or twice a season in IKF.

KT100s are about as fast as a HPV4 when using the Formula Y pipe if I remember correctly. But I agree, stick with TAG or HPV.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    But I agree, stick with TAG or HPV.
    I see ppl use the term Tag in different ways. TAG can mean Touch and Go. meaning karts with built in starters, ie leopard, PRD, Vortex etc. And other use Tag exclusively for Rotax. did you mean the latter? I'm just starting to learn about karting, so its a bit confusing to me.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    Unless times have changed dramatically, I don't remember rebuilding my HPV more than once or twice a season in IKF.

KT100s are about as fast as a HPV4 when using the Formula Y pipe if I remember correctly. But I agree, stick with TAG or HPV.
    Well, that's coming from a guy I was talking to who races HPV now who said the top IKF racers replace the piston & lightly machine the head pretty frequently. Of course it's going to depend on how high you let the rpm's get. Rod @ 2Wild echoed that.

HPV & Rotax are a nice place to start because they are popular. Saw lots of HPVs & Rotaxes at the track last weekend, zero KT100's.

Working
    Liked
    29 times

jeff, hit me up next time.

Looking to pick up a tk chassis w/lepard engine come january.

-Dino

Liked
    4 times

Recommendation: For those who want to kart, but don't have their own kart, I highly recommend renting from US Racetronics, located at Buttonwillow. The karts are 125cc tags. They are maintained in excellent condition. The buttonwillow kart track is a favorite of mine.

I've rented from US Racetronics many times. I've rented solo and as groups. Definitely worth checking out. I know that a few regulars here will agree (who have also rented from US Racetronics).

Karting-Experience
    In addition:
    Cal Speedway, Karttech has Rotax CRG and GP, Tag and Shifter rentals
    CalSpeed Karting has PRD Sodi Karts for Rent
    Adams has Avanti PRD's for rent
    Henderson Karting rents PRD's at Apex
    Jim Hall Karting has PRD 125 and KPV 100's (formerly called HPV) for rent at his track in Oxnard
    Karttech will rent at Grange as well.
    Not sure about Willow Springs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2