+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet cam video from my kart

Liked
    165 times

Default Helmet cam video from my kart

Thought you guys might like to see this. jzchaser & I took my old TonyKart out last week, and I ran it again at Adams this past Thursday & stuck a GoPro on my helmet. Sorry, Adams is really bumpy in a kart so the video is a little shaky.

Mine did ~75mph at the end of the main straight at 16,500rpm. Shifterkarts are topping 90mph there.

T1 felt like about 3g's. I didn't have an accelerometer so I don't know exactly what it was, but my kart does 1.7-2g on a flat surface and T1 felt like twice as much force! Very intense. Literally could not hold my head up in that corner by the end of the day.

2 solid laps starting just after 4:00

Click 720p for good quality video

[YOUTUBE]V-WSQT13RMM[/YOUTUBE]

Tons of fun. Any of you guys are welcome to drive it next time I take it out

Liked
    2165 times

What were your lap times?

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    What were your lap times?

47.5xx was my best

~47.8 consistently

...HPV motor with a 4 pipe. The kart has been sitting in my parents garage for 6 years, and I haven't driven a kart in that long either. I know I'm leaving a tenth or three on the track, the motor hasn't been built/blueprinted, I've done zero work/adjustment to the setup (no idea what it 'should' be for that track) and it's an old kart; technology has advanced since 2002. And I am massively out of shape. And the track was super green because of all the rain lately. And the moon was out of phase causing a slight gravitational shift.

What does Kristjian(?) race?

Liked
    2165 times

HPV2, now KPV2....

He has outgrown his class so he will probably go to TAG.

I put an HPV4 pipe on his kart last month and took it out and did a 1:46.2, but mostly 1:46.5 and 1:46.6s.

Oli

Liked
    165 times

HPV2, now KPV2....

He has outgrown his class so he will probably go to TAG.

I put an HPV4 pipe on his kart last month and took it out and did a 1:46.2, but mostly 1:46.5 and 1:46.6s.

Oli
    You mean 0:46.xx

That's fast! IKF just ran there and the fast time of the weekend for KPV4 was a 46.5 IIRC.

Liked
    34 times

dude, that track looks like a ton of fun. and great driving as usual. I'll go with you guys next time.

Last month I did a 4hr enduro at Cal speedway. During one of the stint, I had an intense battle with another kart. We exchanged position probably 4 times per lap for half a stint. The karts were probably similar to Dromo speed. But for some reason, doing it outdoor was so much better. It was a blast. So bought a used CRG rebel with Rotex Sr right after that. This kart is fast. I'm so out of shape, I can only do 2 laps at 10/10th on CSW before my heart starts to pound hard. the Rotax might be too much engine for me right now. I'm selling this one now because I found a killer deal on a used 08 Tony Kart roller from a guy on the east coast. It should be here next week. I'll either put a HPV or KT100 on it for now to build up my stamina. the work out is good and i need the exercise. It beats going to the gym any day.

Liked
    15 times

Great driving Jeff!

Thats awesome Manly. I've driven Jeffs kart and its plenty quick, just loses out the the Rotaxs on the straights. That said however I should be picking up a shifter next week to fix up! I foresee a bunch of trackhq karting trips in the future

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser View Post
    I foresee a bunch of trackhq karting trips in the future
    oh yeah! Tell the Right Seat Driver to fix his kart up too!

Liked
    15 times

Quote Originally Posted by mlk_f1 View Post
    oh yeah! Tell the Right Seat Driver to fix his kart up too!
    He has two Rotax Sr sitting there! He is too busy racing big trucks down in Mexico for the next month

Liked
    165 times

dude, that track looks like a ton of fun. and great driving as usual. I'll go with you guys next time.

Last month I did a 4hr enduro at Cal speedway. During one of the stint, I had an intense battle with another kart. We exchanged position probably 4 times per lap for half a stint. The karts were probably similar to Dromo speed. But for some reason, doing it outdoor was so much better. It was a blast. So bought a used CRG rebel with Rotex Sr right after that. This kart is fast. I'm so out of shape, I can only do 2 laps at 10/10th on CSW before my heart starts to pound hard. the Rotax might be too much engine for me right now. I'm selling this one now because I found a killer deal on a used 08 Tony Kart roller from a guy on the east coast. It should be here next week. I'll either put a HPV or KT100 on it for now to build up my stamina. the work out is good and i need the exercise. It beats going to the gym any day.
    I say keep the Rotax. You'll grow into it (and into shape) quickly. HPV would be ideal to learn on, but they are expensive motors... I certainly wouldn't sell a Rotax motor to buy an HPV. However, if you do get an HPV, we can have battles so that would be cool

Don't get a KT100

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    I say keep the Rotax. You'll grow into it (and into shape) quickly. HPV would be ideal to learn on, but they are expensive motors... I certainly wouldn't sell a Rotax motor to buy an HPV. However, if you do get an HPV, we can have battles so that would be cool

Don't get a KT100
    cool, now i can seek expert advice from you. haha.

Which out of the three will be the most reliable? I won't run max power, just a conservative tune if there is such a thing. and why not a KT100? maybe i knwo the reason, I went to look at a kart with a KT100. It was shooting out oil droplets from the can. I thought the engine was bad. But the owner told me thats normal for those engines.

Liked
    2165 times

You mean 0:46.xx

That's fast! IKF just ran there and the fast time of the weekend for KPV4 was a 46.5 IIRC.
    I have a friend I race with on occassion. He would always ask me, "How'd you do, how fast did you go?" I would tell him my lap time and he would always subtract about 1/2 a second from my lap time and tell me that was his time. I would always answer with, "Really?" Then he would always chuckle and say, "No." and then tell me his real lap time. I fell for his foolery for two years.

So you should ask me, "Really?"

Liked
    165 times

cool, now i can seek expert advice from you. haha.

Which out of the three will be the most reliable? I won't run max power, just a conservative tune if there is such a thing. and why not a KT100? maybe i knwo the reason, I went to look at a kart with a KT100. It was shooting out oil droplets from the can. I thought the engine was bad. But the owner told me thats normal for those engines.
    HPV's are reliable if you limit the revs to about 15,500. IKF guys run them over 16,500 but rebuild them almost every event.

Rotax & KT100 I am not too familiar with, but everyone seems to say Rotax are very reliable. I say forget KT100 because they are slow...

I am no expert at this. If you live in Irvine, you might want to head over to 2Wild Karting in Lake Forest & talk to Rod or Wayne. They know their stuff and will be happy to give advice. $.02

Liked
    34 times

cool thx

Liked
    165 times

I have a friend I race with on occassion. He would always ask me, "How'd you do, how fast did you go?" I would tell him my lap time and he would always subtract about 1/2 a second from my lap time and tell me that was his time. I would always answer with, "Really?" Then he would always chuckle and say, "No." and then tell me his real lap time. I fell for his foolery for two years.

So you should ask me, "Really?"

I was going to ask if I could borrow Kristjian's motor...lol

Liked
    34 times

I like to try a wet kart day this winter. AJ/Jeff you guys down for it?

Liked
    2165 times

I was going to ask if I could borrow Kristjian's motor...lol
    Yeah, I have never even driven that track before. Kristjan has, but off hand I cannot recall his lap times.

Oli

Liked
    216 times

I like to try a wet kart day this winter. AJ/Jeff you guys down for it?
    I highly recommend this. Not for the faint of heart though.

Earlier this year I spent a day driving a Shifter in down-pour conditions at Willowsprings on slicks. It was like a water ride. Unforgiving track conditions changed every lap with the rain intensity fluctuating. Certain sections of the track were flooded in standing water immediately following the heavier rains. I never put the kart off, but it took all of my concentration to keep the kart moving forward. Rubbered in corners become ice. Simply accelerating out of the corner on slicks is a challenge. The slightest of slightest misapplication of throttle spins the tires.

Spending the day, soaking wet and cold, was worth every penny. Here's why: it forces the driver to constantly reevaluate every corner of every lap for every tenth of a second. The threshold one lap is completely different the next. Within a few corners, your compensating with a soft touch, sensing the limit of every inch of track, and using ALL available grip. The driver adjustment happens quickly, and before long you'll be strategizing your next pass.

Do it.

Liked
    216 times

Recommendation: For those who want to kart, but don't have their own kart, I highly recommend renting from US Racetronics, located at Buttonwillow. The karts are 125cc tags. They are maintained in excellent condition. The buttonwillow kart track is a favorite of mine.

I've rented from US Racetronics many times. I've rented solo and as groups. Definitely worth checking out. I know that a few regulars here will agree (who have also rented from US Racetronics).

Karting-Experience

Liked
    366 times

How much are you guys paying for these karts? I was talking to AJ about it and this might just be a cool/better way to get my driving cravings in if you go regularly.
    Do you understand?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast