+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Health in racing

Liked
    466 times

Default Health in racing

Funny how little things cross your mind when **** goes down. Things I would have never worried about before. Reason I bring this up is on Tuesday I had a scare. I have had a few big changes in my life.

Being that I have always been very active, Surfing since I was 7, racing BMX(ranked 5th in the Nation), skateboarding, Mountain biking since it's conception, and just recently road bikes for the past 5 years and have had great successes in all of them. I never really had to think to much about my health. I mean, I would just do it. Never had to used a cool suit. Just got out there and did it.

But after having a cramp (or knot) in my shoulder for a week. Tuesday I got up for work and the pain was bad. Then it got to the point I couldn't even get dressed for work. Then the cramping traveled over into my chest and started down my left arm. I had a Red Foxx "i'm coming Elizabeth" moment, and headed to the ER. After extensive testing. They told me it was not my heart, but an old injury in my shoulder that was causing the pain. After a good nights rest and some physical treatment. I'm feeling much better.

The whole time, in the ER, I was thinking, this is the end of my racing and then how was I going to get better to be able to race in two weeks? One of the good things I did find out while doing all the tests. Was that my Heart was in very good shape. My pulse rate was very low and my BP was good too. I'm sure, do to all the cardio I do.
    Yeah I know. I got very fat in resent years after a knee injury side lined my girl from riding bikes. So that eat what ever you want stuff caught up to me fast. So I've been working hard to trim the fat. Working out everyday 20 to 30 min. Eating better.

Staying healthy is much easier then getting back healthy. Something we all need to think about when we jump into our cars. Putting our bodies through extreme heat and keeping sharp brain activity while traveling as fast as our car can go. I think Mark Martin was the first one to really push fitness in racing and it just makes good sense.

Stay Healthy and drive faster.
    Red_5 likes this.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    466 times

A visual for you youngsters.

Liked
    1541 times

The next sucky thing in life is when you search for a decent physical exercise program that doesn't hurt you. When you have had an active life, low impact exercise is just so dang boring you rather just curl a 12oz beer.
    Blackbird likes this.

Liked
    466 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    The next sucky thing in life is when you search for a decent physical exercise program that doesn't hurt you. When you have had an active life, low impact exercise is just so dang boring you rather just curl a 12oz beer.
    So true..lol

Liked
    239 times

Speaking of health and working out, does anybody here do Crossfit? Looks like a great all-around workout. Plus, I noticed that lots of chicks are into it. Many of them look like they can kick my ass! See pic below.

This Monday, I'll be taking my first class. Wish me luck!

image.jpg

Liked
    751 times

I documented my lifestyle change in this regard on here. The hardest change, because of past injuries, was my inability to do impact exercise for extended periods. What I have found, though, is a great benefit to yoga and stretching exercise. I am not as muscular at my physical peak 20 years ago, but I am finding the added flexibility far more useful and beneficial in my middle age. The flexibility allows me to use better leverage and endurance over shear power. Let's face it, we have done some damage to our bodies from previous activities, working with that damage and focusing on how to minimize it is really key, IMHO. Diet is huge commitment and I have found a good balance to still enjoy my favorites, just less often and in smaller portions. It makes them more of a treat that way. As for beer, I admit I hardly drink it anymore.
    MikeColangelo likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    2265 times

I'm glad to hear you're OK, Gian. I saw on Facebook that you went to the ER. Glad it wasn't your heart. Great subject, especially since racing forced me to reconsider my fitness.

Back in summer of 2009, I looked at my reflection in the glass window on the class room at Auto Club Speedway and I was taken aback at how large I looked. I was 237 pounds, and a weekend of racing would kick my arse till Tuesday.

So in August 2009, Eric Green and I bet who could lose 20 pounds first. Loser buys a night of karting and beer afterward. Well, when I dropped 20, I decided to get back down to what I weighed when I was 21: 190 pounds.

I rode a bicycle three and four times a week for six months, and in January of 2009, I was at 197. About then my wife suggested boot camps and not long after Eric persuaded me to try the Primal Blueprint lifestyle, which has an exercise element to it, but the diet portion is to eat nothing but plants, animals, nuts and seeds. No complex carbs, legumes, rice, sugar, sugar substitutes.

The book says to try it for 21 days to see how you feel. I felt so great after two weeks, I was sold. Now I'm at 190 and have little trouble maintaining that weight, and a weekend of racing still tires me out, but I'm back at the gym Monday morning as if nothing happened. I also think greater fitness it has improved my driving.

Liked
    58 times

A month ago, I watched a documentary called "Forks over Knives" and have cold turkey, changed my eating habits. Good information to help have an informed opinion.

Liked
    751 times

Jan 27, 2013, weighed 225. At my heaviest in '03 around 250-260. I weighed about 180 in my late teens.

Jan 27, 2014, weighed in at 165. 40" waist to a 32". 46R chest to a 42R. Have kept between 165 and 168 for nearly 6 mos now. Most of that loss is from diet and just being better educated about food and intake. I give a lot of credit to my wife, too.

A friend of mine recently sent me some photos from around '04. I didn't recognize myself. I keep those as motivation to stay committed to my revised lifestyle.
    ucfbrett and newold_m like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    751 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Speaking of health and working out, does anybody here do Crossfit? Looks like a great all-around workout. Plus, I noticed that lots of chicks are into it. Many of them look like they can kick my ass! See pic below.

Attachment 6915
    Good luck! Listen to your body. You're starting to discover you don't heal as quickly as before.

My wife does crossfit and still does PX90. I have watched her do some of it and "Nope!" is all I think of doing some of the routine. My knees don't hurt nearly as bad as before, but they will swell pretty bad if I run. They sound like I'm walking on Rice Crispies the next day, too. Bleh.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    13 times

Attachment 6915
    I've started Crossfit last August and, while the initial learning curve is steep (damn you OHS and snatches!), it's a great workout. We get it free at my workplace so it was no-brainer to start; still took me 6 months to make the commitment though.. Hang in there as the first stages can be tough and having the right coach makes a big difference. I'm fast approaching 40 and this is the fittest I've even been.
    10AE Miata

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

In January 2013 I weighted 125lbs.
    In January 2014 I weighed 121 lbs
    Today I weigh 124 lbs.

Amidoingitrite?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    434 times

Shut up fatties!
    MikeColangelo, ucfbrett and Gian like this.
    ~ Jim Tway
    Tway Motorsports
    (714) 528-2150
    #57 Pacific Automotive Recycling Center Corvette

Brought to you by:
    Pacific Automotive Recycling Center
    PA Construction
    American Heritage Performance

Liked
    97 times

I need to get back in the gym you guys just reminded me how much I pay for it and haven't used membership recently.

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    567 times

^ Hahahaha. One of the best things I've ever done was cut soda out of my life a few years ago.

Attachment 6915
    Be ready for a room full of people who actually take fitness seriously. Crossfit isn't afraid of pushing you physically and mentally - it's common to be sweating so much you look like you just took a shower. It's energizing, and if you approach it with the right mindset it's inspiring. Learning curve is steep, just did my first handstand push-up two weeks ago! But stick with it and it's very rewarding. Most of the people are really friendly and super supportive. Look for a gym with coaches that supervise closely and constantly give feedback on form - they are there to encourage you and make sure you kick your own ass while avoiding injuries.

Currently I'm doing alternating weeks of crossfit 4-5 days with some light runs, then a week of 4-5 trail/distance runs.
    Last edited by thepass; 03-30-2014 at 11:35 PM.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I'm glad to hear you're OK, Gian. I saw on Facebook that you went to the ER. Glad it wasn't your heart. Great subject, especially since racing forced me to reconsider my fitness.

Back in summer of 2009, I looked at my reflection in the glass window on the class room at Auto Club Speedway and I was taken aback at how large I looked. I was 237 pounds, and a weekend of racing would kick my arse till Tuesday.

So in August 2009, Eric Green and I bet who could lose 20 pounds first. Loser buys a night of karting and beer afterward. Well, when I dropped 20, I decided to get back down to what I weighed when I was 21: 190 pounds.

I rode a bicycle three and four times a week for six months, and in January of 2009, I was at 197. About then my wife suggested boot camps and not long after Eric persuaded me to try the Primal Blueprint lifestyle, which has an exercise element to it, but the diet portion is to eat nothing but plants, animals, nuts and seeds. No complex carbs, legumes, rice, sugar, sugar substitutes.

The book says to try it for 21 days to see how you feel. I felt so great after two weeks, I was sold. Now I'm at 190 and have little trouble maintaining that weight, and a weekend of racing still tires me out, but I'm back at the gym Monday morning as if nothing happened. I also think greater fitness it has improved my driving.
    I lost the above mentioned bet but I also had a 2 year old and 5 month old child at the time so sleep was terrible and I believed bread was a necessary part of a good diet.

I started going to group workout 3-4 days a week 2 years ago. I weighed 207 when I started. After 8 months, I had only lost 5 pounds. That's when I found the Primal Blueprint and Marksdailyapple.com - no this isn't an infomercial and I don't get anything if you buy the book or go to the site but it has changed my life and fitness. I dropped down to 172 at one point but I'm currently up to 180 but that gain has been muscle. It's even more important as we get older to keep lean muscle.

An important part of my lifestyle shift was figuring out that I'm allergic to wheat. I used to take allergy pills daily now I haven't taken one in several months. I used to think that I ate reasonably healthy foods but I've changed much of my diet and even though I can't eat lots of things I used to, I enjoy what I do eat much more. There are lots of bad things in the foods most people eat that we really shouldn't eat and I look and feel better without those things.

Even being 27 pounds lighter, I still suffer in the heat. It might be my northern European genes or living 1/2 mlle from the Pacific ocean, but man I was miserable at CVR and it wasn't even that hot.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Co Owner of Weekend-Racer John Mueller's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Gian View Post

But after having a cramp (or knot) in my shoulder for a week. Tuesday I got up for work and the pain was bad. Then it got to the point I couldn't even get dressed for work. Then the cramping traveled over into my chest and started down my left arm. I had a Red Foxx "i'm coming Elizabeth" moment, and headed to the ER. After extensive testing. They told me it was not my heart, but an old injury in my shoulder that was causing the pain. After a good nights rest and some physical treatment. I'm feeling much better.

The whole time, in the ER, I was thinking, this is the end of my racing and then how was I going to get better to be able to race in two weeks? One of the good things I did find out while doing all the tests. Was that my Heart was in very good shape. My pulse rate was very low and my BP was good too. I'm sure, do to all the cardio I do.
    Yeah I know. I got very fat in resent years after a knee injury side lined my girl from riding bikes. So that eat what ever you want stuff caught up to me fast. So I've been working hard to trim the fat. Working out everyday 20 to 30 min. Eating better.

Staying healthy is much easier then getting back healthy. Something we all need to think about when we jump into our cars. Putting our bodies through extreme heat and keeping sharp brain activity while traveling as fast as our car can go. I think Mark Martin was the first one to really push fitness in racing and it just makes good sense.
    :
    6-months after my 40th b-day I was rushed to the hospital with heat attack like symptoms... I got there just in time to stave off the myocardial infarction and possibly saving my life as I had three major blockages (95%, 85% & 75%). Angioplasty got everything flowing and I was sent home with a daily regimen of cardiac-durgs that are helping keep me alive (I've never missed a day).

After a month I visited my cardiologist, he asked if I was back to doing 100% of what I was doing before. I hadn't resumed racing and a few other physical activities because I pretty much assumed they would kill me. He ORDERED me to resume EVERYTHING and I did in short order.
    Now I'm more careful with respect to heat (I take June, July & August off in SoCal) but otherwise the past 5.5yrs have been the most fun racing I've had.

The point is, get checked-up often (every year) and if your family has a history of heart issues get your cholesterol checked EVERY-E'FFIG-YEAR if you think you need to or not. And if you are prescribed by your doctor take your anti-cholesterol drugs and aspirin exactly as prescribed, they WILL allow your to keep your life!
    Last edited by John Mueller; 03-31-2014 at 10:12 AM.
    --------------------
    Thanks,
    John
    NASA SM National Director
    http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
    #13 House Garage-built & Prepped Mid-Pack 1.6 SM / PTE / E3 Miata

Liked
    751 times

I have to get blood work done every year as a requirement for our health insurance to keep our premiums lower. My results were even better than last year when I was only 6 months into the lifestyle change. I find it surprising because of what runs in my family. I am 15 mos into this change and it is the best I have felt since I was 18-20 y.o. I have a few more changes to make, then I will be on the right path.
    Red_5 likes this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    466 times

Because of my early extreme sports years. Low impact training is all I can do. The rowing machine, elliptical, a road bike and dancing are my main source of exercise. Walking instead of short trips in the cart at work. Stairs instead of the elevator. Just simple things.

Of course diet and nutrition is a big key too. But if you have seen me. You know, this motor don't run on empty. But the right foods at the right time and amount are a big part of how our minds and bodies react it the extreme heat and stress of racing.

I'm @ 315 lbs. On a chart, that would put me way over weight. But being my weight out of High school was 280 with no fat. At 315, I'm very close to my goal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast