• 1 Post By emilio700
  • 2 Post By bellwilliam
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 1 Post By TraderGuy

Thread: Head and neck restraint for 3-point belts

Liked
    0 times

Default Head and neck restraint for 3-point belts

I heard that there was recently a death at a DE event at Road Atlanta--basal skull fracture in a road car.

My wife does DE in her road car, and I'm hoping to get her a H&N restraint that she can use with her Boxster.

I see the Simpson, for nearly $1200
    Hybrid S - 3-Point Belt Compatible: Simpson Race Products

and a 360 Plus, from a company I'm not familiar with
    https://www.valhallaracing.com/products/360-plus-device

Any opinions on these?

Before y'all start saying I need to put a roll cage in her street car, that's not an option, and parking a separate track car would cost me $200+ a month. DE in the road car is the most reasonable option, but I'd like it to be safe.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

This was recently discussed here -
    Looking to get HANS device 3 point compatible

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    I heard death at Road Atlanta--basal skull fracture in a road car.
    Source???

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2589 times

The 360 Plus device looks really uncomfortable. Any strap through the arm pit is going to severely restrict blood flow to the arms. The main artery is in the soft tissue there. Just put your fist in your arm pit with your arm down for 20s and you'll feel your fingers start to tingle from the blood pressure loss. Beyond that, I would find it irritating to have a strap there.
    The Hybrid-S is painfully expensive but it is a known and proven device. Mine is comfortable. I'm going try it in my race car this weekend along with my GT350 HPDE car. If it's comfy for both, I'll retire the Necksgen I have been using in the race car.
    priapism likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Source???
    Just a conversation with some fellow NASA racers in a SE event. I haven't seen any coverage of it.

Nonetheless, I want everyone to be safe.
    Sean
    SoCal Spec e30 #33

Liked
    2528 times

most HPDE fatality/injuries are caused by either really old cars (60's,70's, 80's), removing OEM safety equipment. IMHO, #1 cause of modern car HPDE fatality/injuries is caused by swapping out factory airbag steering wheel for aftermarket non-airbag one. #2 is swapping out to 4 point belt (non-ASM). #3 is caused by incomplete safety mods (say a cage without padding, race seat without halo or center net, race seat not properly mounted)
    These 3 are probably accounted for 90% of all causes in HPDE imo.

Imo, your wife is relatively safe in her Boxster if all OEM safety devices are left intact.

that said, I also bought a Simpon Hybrid-S. Honestly I did it as more of right seat thing. I am comfortable without HANS in a modern car, but I often sit in other people crappy older cars or newer cars but with say aftermarket steering wheel. It also serves as a backup for my HANS.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-22-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    bawareca and priapism like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by priapism View Post
    Just a conversation with some fellow NASA racers in a SE event. I haven't seen any coverage of it.

Nonetheless, I want everyone to be safe.
    Yes but you want to be safe with facts. Last HPDE fatality there to my knowledge was in 2015 nasa hpde2 in mustang. There is no info on the car, accident, or autopsy from what I can gather. So if that was the incident do we really know if cause of death was BSF and under what additional conditions? Safety systems are not designed around guesses. You have also chosen to build a safety system under the most challenging set of conditions which is dual use street and track. The compromises doing so are a plenty. Conventional wisdom in this area is harness bar, 6 point belts and HNR. Once you depart from OEM the process gets very complicated. Survivable OEM is considered 50g's or 45mph crash delta. Survivable in racecars are much much higher than that. Pro racers with black boxes routinely record over 100g's no injury. That said NHR with 3 pts only costs you money. Question is what is the real benefit and should the car be modified for additional safety benfits at what streetable compromise?
    priapism likes this.

Liked
    3 times

I've given this some thought recently. I drive a stock 14 Corvette. I'm told by some the stock safety system makes the most sense unless you go with a complete system, seats, harness bar six point belts and H&N restraint. Others have suggested a H&N restraint designed for three point belts should be worn with the stock systems for an additional level of safety. And that sometimes in a track incident the car can slow fast enough to cause neck injury without airbag deployment, a deep gravel trap was given as an example. I don't have an issue purchasing the H&N restraint if it adds to my safety, but there is no point if there is no meaningful difference. Where do we go to get facts rather then opinions and speculation?
    jqsti2015 likes this.

Liked
    693 times

Quote Originally Posted by TraderGuy View Post
    And that sometimes in a track incident the car can slow fast enough to cause neck injury without airbag deployment, a deep gravel trap was given as an example.
    The airbag module in a modern car measures deceleration and most probably will activate the airbags when the negative G's reach certain pre-programmed treshold. I dont see this gravel trap scenario to work. In a Mercedes most probably the airbags will deploy in something around -5G.

+ Reply to Thread