Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By 2GRX7
  • 1 Post By Richard EVO
  • 1 Post By Johnny_Se7en

Thread: Happy MLK Day!

Liked
    114 times

Default Happy MLK Day!

It may not seem significant to many, but his actions change the course of Americas' history and has allowed many, including me and quite a few on this forum, to publicly express our passions without fear of retribution.

While not free of racism, I can only thank god that I wasn't born/didn't grow up 1-2 decades earlier not having the opportunity to race a car in a competition that included ALL races.

Thank you, Mr. Martin Luther King Jr., Lyndon B. Johnson and his constituents that voted for change!

~Mike

Liked
    1477 times

Interesting that you mention LBJ. He rarely gets credit for his contributions to the civil rights movement, but he should.
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    855 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Interesting that you mention LBJ. He rarely gets credit for his contributions to the civil rights movement, but he should.
    ++

He sure should.

Liked
    142 times

Republicans have done more for African Americans them the Democrats have. All the democrats want to do is pimp their constituency.
    DutchOven likes this.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Se7en View Post
    Republicans have done more for African Americans them the Democrats have. All the democrats want to do is pimp their constituency.
    Johnny - You are a moron. Please don't post to political threads here. Your black American hero is Clarence Thomas, right? Pubic hair on the Coke can . . .

1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    114 times

This was not to start a political party debate. Frankly, if you're that gung-ho on one party over the other, then you've basically taken the "blue" pill. This is about racism, as it's pervasive amongst ALL PARTIES.

Racism rears its ugly head in SO many ways; overt, subconsciously and institutional. Imagine going to a racetrack to help set up a LMP1 car. When you get there and tell the head engineer of a race team I'd be assigned to, "I'm your Michelin liaison". Man, the looks I've received have gone from "OH NO! We're on our own" to, "Yeah, you can carry the tires over to the pit wall for us" to which, that head engineer would promptly head over to the older white guy (my boss)with a Michelin shirt. My boss would say, "he's the dude-sets up my personal race Porsche". I used to love that.

The point to of all this is that;
    1- I wouldn't have had the chance to be in that pit as a Michelin tire engineer had it not been for the struggle of my family members before me and
    2- Even in 21st century America, the historical perspective of the African-American man is one of being token, incompetent, lazy, and incapable of teaching the white man anything.

Like I said, I'm, at least, getting opportunities where there wouldn't have been any, say, 35-50 years ago. So that is progress. I can only hope that my son is faced with the opportunity to compete based on ability alone.

OK, Imma slow this one down. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by 2GRX7; 01-21-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Liked
    1477 times

The idea that the Republican party has been better than the Democratic party for the civil rights movement in this country is so preposterous that I can't even believe that I'm posting about it. But I am. It does matter about political parties. The Democrats had Kennedy, LBJ, Carter, Clinton, and Obama (the first black President of the USA ever). The Republicans had Nixon, Raygun, Bush I, and Bush II. You tell me which political party is about diversity and inclusion, and which one is about being a rich, elitist, racist asshole.

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Johnny - You are a moron. Please don't post to political threads here. Your black American hero is Clarence Thomas, right? Pubic hair on the Coke can . . .
    Richard,

I'm not even "butthurt" by that statement, I'm basically making my statement from my perspective and to some it may seem a bit narrow. Now about my perspective, I lived in Compton for 21 years and the people that ran the city were all messed up and generated no jobs I'm not going to say what political party they were but I'm sure you will figure it out. I left Compton in 2001 but go back on Sundays to do good works.

The people that I work for all live in Orange County and are NRA members (still not saying what political party) but they have blessed me greatly, because I showed then I was willing to work hard.

Peace

Oh one more thing I drink Dr. Pepper.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    114 times

Richard and Johnny, your references are a bit short-sighted.

Richard, I know you know this stuff;
    1. Lincoln, Republican-reluctant but still, I wouldn't be doing what I do had it not been for him
    2. Republican party-First black senators where Republican (reconstruction)
    3. ^^^^Official party of the Ku Klux Klan: Democratic Party^^^^

Johnny, I think you need to take a trip around the country because the class of blacks (working class primarily) in Compton, while somewhat common to see, is not the norm. East coast tends to have a higher percentage of middle/upper middle class blacks. East coast also has a higher number of white-collar blacks in wealthier classes than out here-and we have a different way of thinking than what you may have witnessed here in Compton (although there are more upper middle class communities sprouting up).

I've been fortunate enough to travel/live all over this country of ours and with 3000 miles of land, and culture between us, you really get to see why we're in the predicament we're in these days. BUT, you also get to see/meet the ones that "just get it" and are going to "get us out" as well.

This is how I grew up

+ Reply to Thread