+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Halo seats for track day cars

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    Did you sit in one. If so, was it significantly more upright than other Sparco seats (or competition seats in general)?
    I did sit in few of them (halo only) to see how upright it is.
    It isn't more than other Sparco halo seats.

The "wings" are very strong. No way it will bend before the seatback does.

Emilio did order one (large size) and that didn't fit in a Miata.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-08-2015 at 06:49 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

I have Ergos at the shop, Loose, you can take a look when you come here tomorrow.

William, there's at least 7 degrees difference in the natural recline of the Ergo comparing to a Cobra Evolution (using it as an example because it is a popular halo seat).
    That's huge.

Liked
    4 times

Bolt pattern is not optimal for for the lateral load, puts the bolts in bending. W/ that said, anyone know what size bolt that is?

Liked
    2085 times

Pretty sure it's M8x1.25

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

One of my builds had a Sparco Circuit Pro installed. It had the same contoured sides as the ERGO so even the Sparco supplied brackets would not fit flush with the sides of the seat. A few minutes on the mill shaving away extra bracket material solved that problem. I swear Sparco never mounted that seat as the brackets were not even close before we modified them.

Mark
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    2085 times

^ My pet peeve for all seat mounts and side mounted seats.
    Even seats and mounts made by the same manufacturer don't fit together properly 80% of the time.
    In the Ergo installation we did on Emilio's car I ended up making custom side mounts altogether...

Liked
    764 times

Maybe more seat manufacturers should look into this idea and add them to more seats. It seams like a pretty good idea for a street driven track car.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    299 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I figure the holy grail here is to come up with a solution that allows use of the stock 3 point belt on the way, then a 5/6 pt harness at the track, and then a seat with ears and/or a pair of nets. The trouble with the nets is nowhere to mount them on a street car.

Maybe some seat inserts to tighten up the seat at the track.
    I ran oem seat and setup with cg-lock for 4-5 events. Worked great. Kept all my oem safety features. CG-Lock tightens up the lap belt and only the lap belt. Butt is more planted.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Pure EvoIX View Post
    I ran oem seat and setup with cg-lock for 4-5 events. Worked great. Kept all my oem safety features. CG-Lock tightens up the lap belt and only the lap belt. Butt is more planted.
    but you ran without an airbag steering wheel ? you need to be banned....
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    I figure the holy grail here is to come up with a solution that allows use of the stock 3 point belt on the way, then a 5/6 pt harness at the track, and then a seat with ears and/or a pair of nets. The trouble with the nets is nowhere to mount them on a street car.

Maybe some seat inserts to tighten up the seat at the track.
    on a Miata (and few others). I would recommend a stock seat with OEM belts for everyday driving.

when leaving for track. install a race seat (it is only 4 bolts) and 6 point harness (shoulder harnesses already on the harness bar, sub and lap belts mounted on seat bracket or just tuck it out of the way for street driving, so there is no work on harness).
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2085 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    on a Miata (and few others). I would recommend a stock seat with OEM belts for everyday driving.

when leaving for track. install a race seat (it is only 4 bolts) and 6 point harness (shoulder harnesses already on the harness bar, sub and lap belts mounted on seat bracket or just tuck it out of the way for street driving, so there is no work on harness).
    You make it sound way easier than the actual clusterf**k that it is, and I'm rather surprised because you own/ed a good number of them.
    To start with, no OTS mount works in these car properly.
    Every single one of them is too high or off center or both.
    To properly locate a racing seat in a Miata you HAVE to do some irreversible mods, and if you do it right, the OEM seat will never go back in the car.

Relying on the factory mounting points for racing seat installation is also not a great idea, as especially in the 90-05 cars they are not only flimsy as s**t but also develop cracks over time (surprise!).
    Let me know if you need any pics, I'm sure I can dig a few that I took on cars that came in..

This last point is BTW true to a lot of 90's and older than 90's cars.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 12-09-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Liked
    2528 times

Moti: I love you too.

I've made it work in 2 of my cars. I am relatively short (5'7", 30"
    Seam), may be that's why it works for me.

It was a Sparco Sprint (yes, it is FIA and bottom mount) and I did mount it on a custom bracket that mounts on stock seat mounting holes. I would put stock seat back in when done.

Sparco Sprint isn't a halo seat. But with a Miata. Center net is a little easier, by running it to center vent (there is a bar behind the vents) ? I didn't do that, but I don't think it is a lot of work as in other cars.

Didn't know about stock seat mounting holes crack. I kinda always trust oem mounts.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    35 times

Most newer cars have airbags built into the seats. If you remove the factory seat and install a race seat would you have the same side impact protection as the airbag equipped seat?

Liked
    2085 times

Moti: I love you too.
    Hahahahahahaha, I love you too
    Didn't know about stock seat mounting holes crack. I kinda always trust oem mounts.
    Here's one to shake that trust -
    seatmountcracks.jpg

I circled the crack in the second one because the pic is a bit out of focus.
    Seen it happening in more cars than you'd think, Miatas and others.
    OEM mounts starting in the early 2000's became far more robust on many cars.
    Last edited by Blackbird; 12-09-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Liked
    672 times

I was going to reply that on my chassis (1990) as well, three of the four stock mounting points were cracked. But I think those pics are actually from my car before Moti cut out the mounts... so... yeeaahhh
    Last edited by thepass; 12-09-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    2085 times

That's a negative, these pics were taken about 3-4 months ago, which is why I remembered which folder they were in... I did your car about what? 3 years ago?

Liked
    672 times

Yeah long beyond the 'remember where I put those pics' window. That top photo is a spitting image of what my mount looked like.
    Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

Liked
    138 times

The miata is an even tougher nut to crack. I have what I feel is arguably the best safety setup you can possibly have an in NA/NB chassis and still be able to drive street drive the car to the events with above 80% oem functionality.

I have:
    -Cobra Suzuka Seats mounted on BFW Proprietary Mounts
    -BFW GT3 6 Point
    -Schroth Profi 6 Points
    -Maintained oem 3 points for street driving
    -Airbag removed
    -Roll bar padded etc

Now... I have made some consolations in my setup and tried to mitigate the results. First is the airbag. I could unfortunately not run with an oem wheel due to my size and it's placement. Because of that I have removed it, and I have to drive very defensively on teh street as a result. I was not comfortable running 6 points on the street due to the possibility of a BSF in an accident (likely, no abs, worn 200tw max perfs, race pads, etc etc) so I run an oem 3 point with the stretch stitching carefully removed from the webbing.

Now... onto the reason for my post. I do not believe you can safely run a halo seat in a miata while retaining the front triangle window. I would abso-****ing lutely love to especially after the recent events. But I do not believe you could exit the car through the remaining window opening if the door were pinned shut and say the car were on fire.

Removing this window creates a landslide of issues that cause streetability problems, such as, no longer having any operable windows.

What I'm ultimately getting at is safety is a landslide of systems. There really are two right answers all of it, or none of it. Anything in between is an un-researched grey area that is an educated guess at best.

YMMV

Liked
    1495 times

Quote Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
    The miata is an even tougher nut to crack. I have what I feel is arguably the best safety setup you can possibly have an in NA/NB chassis and still be able to drive street drive the car to the events with above 80% oem functionality.

I have:
    -Cobra Suzuka Seats mounted on BFW Proprietary Mounts
    -BFW GT3 6 Point
    -Schroth Profi 6 Points
    -Maintained oem 3 points for street driving
    -Airbag removed
    -Roll bar padded etc

Now... I have made some consolations in my setup and tried to mitigate the results. First is the airbag. I could unfortunately not run with an oem wheel due to my size and it's placement. Because of that I have removed it, and I have to drive very defensively on teh street as a result. I was not comfortable running 6 points on the street due to the possibility of a BSF in an accident (likely, no abs, worn 200tw max perfs, race pads, etc etc) so I run an oem 3 point with the stretch stitching carefully removed from the webbing.

Now... onto the reason for my post. I do not believe you can safely run a halo seat in a miata while retaining the front triangle window. I would abso-****ing lutely love to especially after the recent events. But I do not believe you could exit the car through the remaining window opening if the door were pinned shut and say the car were on fire.

Removing this window creates a landslide of issues that cause streetability problems, such as, no longer having any operable windows.

What I'm ultimately getting at is safety is a landslide of systems. There really are two right answers all of it, or none of it. Anything in between is an un-researched grey area that is an educated guess at best.

YMMV
    You could rig up the triangle window so it will snap free if you punch it or yank on it. I think a SM guy did that.

Liked
    990 times

I think this is the same seat I have in my car. Seems to work pretty well assuming your seat bracket and harnesses are installed properly. Center net didn't even seem to be a factor at all. Go to 1:30 and watch in slow motion after normal speed. I think we've seen this here before, but it's relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZafJW8Ao0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast