Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Guess what I got . . .

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    my bad, didnt know 9 inch was too wide.
    I got 9" fronts and they do rub... its doable but messes up front fenders....
    driving cars n stuff....

Liked
    103 times

Quote Originally Posted by nils View Post
    I got 9" fronts and they do rub... its doable but messes up front fenders....
    gotcha, even with a decent amount of performance oriented camber?

Liked
    165 times

Very cool Richard. You'll love it on track; the NSX is a very unique experience.

From the Mclaren F1 Wikipedia:

Gordon Murray had been thinking of a three-seat sports car since his youth, but when Murray was waiting for a flight home from the fateful Italian Grand Prix in 1988; Murray drew a sketch of a three seater sports car and proposed it to Ron Dennis, pitched as the idea of creating the ultimate road car, a concept that would be heavily influenced by the Formula One experience and technology of the company and thus reflect that skill and knowledge through the McLaren F1.
    Murray declared that [5] "During this time, we were able to visit with Ayrton Senna (the late F1 Champion) and Honda's Tochigi Research Center. The visit related to the fact that at the time, McLaren's F1 Grand Prix cars were using Honda engines. Although it's true I had thought it would have been better to put a larger engine, the moment I drove the Honda NSX, all the benchmark cars—Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini—I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target. Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 litre V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine."

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

cool quote.. happy bday btw!
    driving cars n stuff....

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

gotcha, even with a decent amount of performance oriented camber?
    i dont run too much camber... IIRC.. its like -1.7... billy might remember though, he helped me with that...
    driving cars n stuff....

Liked
    1477 times

I haven't actually bought the car yet. I got the financing, downpayment, and insurance all lined up, and sent it out for a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection. Here's what came back:

Compression by cylinder:

1 = 150
    2 = 130
    3 = 155
    4 = 150
    5 = 155
    6 = 160

155 and consistent compression in all cylinders is good. So #2 is a bit off.

Leak down test in each cylinder:

1 = 12%
    2 = 14%
    3 = 14%
    4 = 13%
    5 = 14%
    6 = 10%

10% leakdown is good; 15% is bad.

There are oil leaks from the front and rear valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gaskets. No oil leaks from the engine seals.

The clutch is "iffy." Brakes chatter (I did not notice this when I test drove it). Intake is not Carb legal.

No spare tire, and some missing trim pieces (which you have to know the NSX well to see that they are missing, I never noticed.

I'm reconsidering this. The price is about right for a really good example of a '94 Coupe. Seller (used car lot) has already dropped the price to what they paid for the car, and won't go lower because they will lose money. So the choice is not to negotiate a lower price based on the inspection, it is to either buy it or walk away. The financing got delayed so I have the weekend to think about it.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

sks
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    I haven't actually bought the car yet. I got the financing, downpayment, and insurance all lined up, and sent it out for a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection. Here's what came back:

Compression by cylinder:

1 = 150
    2 = 130
    3 = 155
    4 = 150
    5 = 155
    6 = 160

1 = 12%
    2 = 14%
    3 = 14%
    4 = 13%
    5 = 14%
    6 = 10%

There are oil leaks from the front and rear valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gaskets. No oil leaks from the engine seals.

The clutch is "iffy." Brakes chatter (I did not notice this when I test drove it). Intake is not Carb legal.

No spare tire, and some missing trim pieces (which you have to know the NSX well to see that they are missing, I never noticed.

I'm reconsidering this. The price is about right for a really good example of a '94 Coupe. Seller (used car lot) has already dropped the price to what they paid for the car, and won't go lower because they will lose money. So the choice is not to negotiate a lower price based on the inspection, it is to either buy it or walk away. The financing got delayed so I have the weekend to think about it.

The price is right for a really good example for a 94 Coupe, which it is not. I'd say walk or offer a price that you feel it is worth in light of its issues. Make the dealer consider taking a loss and check in periodically. If it sells to dumb buyer, so be it. Move on and dont get emotionally attached. there will be another one.
    Supra APU (67dbb)

Road Racing Videos: See Youtube handle - smellygymshorts
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SmellyGy...s?feature=mhum

Liked
    366 times

Compression by cylinder:

1 = 150
    2 = 130
    3 = 155
    4 = 150
    5 = 155
    6 = 160

1 = 12%
    2 = 14%
    3 = 14%
    4 = 13%
    5 = 14%
    6 = 10%

Walk and find a car in better condition. These are not cheap fixes, although most are common for the car. (expected)

What is the price? And Mileage? I personally wouldn't pay any more than 20-22 for that car, and even that is pushing it.

yes I have owned and well understand NSX market prices/value. Unless the mileage is sub 50K its not worth more than what I posted above. Good thing you haven't pulled the trigger yet!
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2165 times

my bad, didnt know 9 inch was too wide.

That is what The Sheriff's wife said....

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    That is what The Sheriff's wife said....
    No, she said 9" is too long . . .
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    I'd say walk or offer a price that you feel it is worth in light of its issues. Make the dealer consider taking a loss and check in periodically. If it sells to dumb buyer, so be it. Move on and dont get emotionally attached. there will be another one.
    ^This.

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    ^This.
    Jeff, you are a dealer, aren't you ?
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Jeff, you are a dealer, aren't you ?
    I work at one, yes.

Sks's post was good advice; there's nothing wrong with offering a lower price that takes into account the issues with the car that came to light. (IF Richard even wants to proceed with that particular car...)

The dealer knew (or if not, they are dumb) exactly what they were getting into when they bought that NSX, and the type of customer who would be looking to buy it.

Liked
    546 times

Man, I'd love an NSX. But I always apply the golden rule to cars with needs. Figure out what it needs, double it, add 20%, and then know you'll spend a bit more than that on "well, as long as we're in there, let's do..." stuff.

Steve

Liked
    7 times

my vote is to walk away

Liked
    142 times

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    my vote is to walk away
    Isn't that the name of the song they play ant the end of Pinks when some one loses there car?
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    15 times

walk away man
    imo, on top of the engine condition, new paint + missing interior pieces + no spare tire = car has been involved in an accident!!

my lemon ap1 caused me 2 motors 2 tranny and 2 diffs... tho i drove it hard on the track..
    on the other hand, my newer ap2 (which i finally choose over 30 cars that i checked out in 2 month) has NEVER had any issues for 30 track days in this past yr!!!

take your time and wait for the one that you know is right 100%
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Compression by cylinder:

1 = 150
    2 = 130
    3 = 155
    4 = 150
    5 = 155
    6 = 160

1 = 12%
    2 = 14%
    3 = 14%
    4 = 13%
    5 = 14%
    6 = 10%

The repaint isn't a great thing, but its not necessarily bad either. If it was repainted well then who cares. The car is old and Red (and black) dont always hold up that well. My car is in fairly good condition and i'm going to have to repaint the black roof.

The leakdown numbers aren't that great. Iv'e seen a few high mileage cars with 5% across the board, but I don't always trust other people doing leakdowns because its easy to not perfectly get TDC.

Who cares about the spare tire. It's 20 years old, would have been cracked, useless, and you would never even put it on. Put a can of slime/quick fill in the car and be done with it. If you have aftermarket wheels, there will be no place to put the flat tire anyway, it wont fit in the trunk. Hell, the stock 16" rear wheel BARELY fits in the EMPTY truck when deflated. -Not a big deal.

It all depends on the price, just look it over, framerails for cracks and issues, but if its a simple repaint (and done well), I wouldn't be as afraid as everyone else is acting.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by momofoolio View Post
    walk away man
    imo, on top of the engine condition, new paint + missing interior pieces + no spare tire = car has been involved in an accident!!

my lemon ap1 caused me 2 motors 2 tranny and 2 diffs... tho i drove it hard on the track..
    on the other hand, my newer ap2 (which i finally choose over 30 cars that i checked out in 2 month) has NEVER had any issues for 30 track days in this past yr!!!

take your time and wait for the one that you know is right 100%
    Then you did something wrong. Sure a "lemon" can have issues. But if you replace the motor, trans, and diff, you should have fixed it right and prevented yourself from having to do it again. The first time around is the problem of buying a lemon, the second and third time is all in your hands.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    Man, I'd love an NSX. But I always apply the golden rule to cars with needs. Figure out what it needs, double it, add 20%, and then know you'll spend a bit more than that on "well, as long as we're in there, let's do..." stuff.

Steve
    Mine usually ends up something like triple it and add 50%

Don't bother with it Richard, take it from an idiot like me, it could be a costly/time consuming road when the "well now that the engine is out, why not add that twin turbo setup?" logic starts to set in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast