Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Slaysman
  • 3 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By Slaysman

Thread: Great Race Start Practice - Driving in Palermo, Sicily

Liked
    231 times

Default Great Race Start Practice - Driving in Palermo, Sicily

Holy crap, Batman! We left Sicily the other morning by car, and it was like a race with 25 minutes from the green flag to turn 1! Not so much trying to pass someone, but constantly maneuvering to get in the proper lane for necessary turns. The GPS kept calling out the turns, and I was completely engrossed with finding holes to get a nose in. Just when you thought you had it, a pedestrian pops up, or a motor scooter comes out of nowhere. Think of the scooters as sports racers of open wheelers. They are hard to see, and they come up real fast. Speeds were only maybe 25-35 mph, but is was non-stop action. Situational awareness was stretched to the max! It really was like the first moments of a rolling start race, but it went on and on!

On the other hand, if you can't afford to go to Sicily, or don't have the time, the second best option is to attend our upcoming driving school at the Streets of Willow, Nov 12-13.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

Liked
    278 times

Cool. Do you have any pics?

I always wanted to visit Sicily. My grandparents are from there. Syracuse to be exact.

Liked
    2361 times

Quote Originally Posted by Slaysman View Post
    Holy crap, Batman! We left Sicily the other morning by car, and it was like a race with 25 minutes from the green flag to turn 1! Not so much trying to pass someone, but constantly maneuvering to get in the proper lane for necessary turns. The GPS kept calling out the turns, and I was completely engrossed with finding holes to get a nose in. Just when you thought you had it, a pedestrian pops up, or a motor scooter comes out of nowhere. Think of the scooters as sports racers of open wheelers. They are hard to see, and they come up real fast. Speeds were only maybe 25-35 mph, but is was non-stop action. Situational awareness was stretched to the max! It really was like the first moments of a rolling start race, but it went on and on!

On the other hand, if you can't afford to go to Sicily, or don't have the time, the second best option is to attend our upcoming driving school at the Streets of Willow, Nov 12-13.
    This wins the best writing award for a driving school promotion.

Liked
    231 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Cool. Do you have any pics?

I always wanted to visit Sicily. My grandparents are from there. Syracuse to be exact.
    No traffic pictures. I was doing the driving, and my wife had no interest in taking a video. She was busy enough with the GPS and acting as a "spotter".

Syracuse was nice, particularly the island of Ortigia. Taormina was the best, but with some pucker factor roads.
    MikeColangelo likes this.
    Terry Watson
    AROSC Competition Director

+ Reply to Thread