+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: great driving

Liked
    103 times

its not bordem, its just how trackhq is, the more drama the better

Liked
    0 times

So what is the next stage, you would have me cry?

Returning to the subject, the pedals often do take precedence over the wheel, particularly when the car is sliding (not necessarily oversteer), which consists of a great part of the video.

Yes, at a lower level of expertise it would be better to try and correct by steering alone (which is easier for a less-skilled driver) or just brake (my preferred method for roadcar driving).

However, the correct application is a synchronization of pedal-work and steering, with the stress being on the former, rather than the latter (as in the video discussed). Surely the balance depends on many factors, such as speed and corner severity, but in general, the method I implied was best.

As I have said, I believe the driver is smooth enough, it's accuracy he is short of!

Liked
    2 times

This thread is very entertaining.

Liked
    0 times

Glad you enjoy the show. Input is welcome.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Astraist View Post
    Glad you enjoy the show. Input is welcome.
    The 911 driver is very skilled. That's all I'd like to say. Don't want to get into a debate.

Liked
    0 times

Skilled? I dare say he is! I have said it in my first reply.

However, we down here have a saying: "a wise man avoids a situation a clever man overcomes", it's better not to slide the car around as much and not having to correct it at all, especially not with the steering.
    Last edited by Astraist; 02-19-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by JDMxDB8 View Post
    The 911 driver is very skilled. That's all I'd like to say. Don't want to get into a debate.

I thought his driving sucks. It all starts with the use of his gloves and the way he hooks his forefinger. That is a sure way to get it broken when steering wheel whips when the GT1 Corvette comes around and punts him off the track.

Liked
    1477 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I thought his driving sucks. It all starts with the use of his gloves and the way he hooks his forefinger. That is a sure way to get it broken when steering wheel whips when the GT1 Corvette comes around and punts him off the track.
    Yes, when you see the Corvette coming, it's best just to fold both of your arms in front of your chest and hold on for crash, so that you don't break your arms. That's what all the pros do.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    0 times

Oli, are you being sarcastic or are you referring to hooking the thumb inside the wheel?

If you are the latter, I dissagree. On tarmac (track or road), the chance of being bumped to an extent where your thumb will be fractured is very slim, and I would prefer the additional control allowed by hooking the thumbs (I have only lately discovered that the fingers do a better job in stabilizing the wheel rather than the palms).

Liked
    2165 times

I notice that the driver has the wrong gloves, too. He is driving with rally gloves and not road racing gloves. That is so lame!

Liked
    0 times

The gloves depend on the wheel (which is this case is not fit for rally gloves, so I agree). Rally gloves are intended to allow a very strong grip by creating a link between carbon fibers that cover both glove and rim. Returning to the point of the thumbs, I have seen rally drivers who keep the thumbs hooked even on gravel.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Astraist View Post
    The gloves depend on the wheel (which is this case is not fit for rally gloves, so I agree). Rally gloves are intended to allow a very strong grip by creating a link between carbon fibers that cover both glove and rim. Returning to the point of the thumbs, I have seen rally drivers who keep the thumbs hooked even on gravel.

That extra heavy stitching also interferes with the finer feel you need for the road course. In rally you need a good feel, but you also need more robust gloves.

Liked
    97 times

Thumb fail, spec piñata style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=645gZR6OKsA

Liked
    2 times

LOL @ the gloves topic.

Liked
    2165 times

If you look closely, his gloves use the 5/8" wide Overlock stitch method turned inside the seem. While this is very durable and robust, it is an excellent method for rally gloves.

Sparco and Alpinestar have white papers on the 2-thread, 1/8” wide, 20 stitches per inch differential feed seem that provide a much better and intimate feel on the road course. As you can see this driver does not have that. I am sure it is contributing to his exaggerated inputs at the steering wheel.

Liked
    142 times

Can you say neck brace
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK3rg9qTX8A[/YOUTUBE]

Liked
    1477 times

^^^ Was he pushing or pulling on the wheel? That probably happened because he was wearing the wrong gloves.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    If you look closely, his gloves use the 5/8" wide Overlock stitch method turned inside the seem. While this is very durable and robust, it is an excellent method for rally gloves.

Sparco and Alpinestar have white papers on the 2-thread, 1/8” wide, 20 stitches per inch differential feed seem that provide a much better and intimate feel on the road course. As you can see this driver does not have that. I am sure it is contributing to his exaggerated inputs at the steering wheel.
    +1

Liked
    2283 times

+2
    that's why I prefer Sparco. High thread counts glove make me feel sexy !!
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    ^^^ Was he pushing or pulling on the wheel? That probably happened because he was wearing the wrong gloves.
    Richard, when I suggested to pull the wheel it was only in rare cases where the input is very large (normally only at a hairpin, where the final conclusion was oddly to shuffle steer ). At any other case (say, 95% of the track time), both hands stay on 9 and 3 and rotate the wheel as one.

I actually agree with you, and have already criticized the driver for being "unsymmetrical" with his handwork on the wheel. I.E. Pulling and pushing it.
    Last edited by Astraist; 02-20-2010 at 04:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast