+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: great driving

Liked
    97 times

Wow that guy got off good.. Was expecting him to get tank-slapped up against that wall like a pimp's backhand.

Great driving though.. I'd have a fun enough time keeping that thing pointed forward, let alone win some kind of race.

Liked
    0 times

In the video in the rain, he appears to better: smoother, however not too slower with the controls as some drivers are in the rain. The problem in the wet (which I believe this mysterious drivers suffers from too) is that drivers cannot wait for the car to turn by itself, without turning the wheel more.

Liked
    15 times

wow if they were to let me drive this 911
    with my driving style/ input
    i probably wouldnt be able to even drive it straight lol
    man i wanna learn how to control oversteer at 120mph+
    the fastest oversteer ive had was at riverside which is only abt 95~100mph
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by Astraist View Post
    There is also a weight transfer involved. If you keep a very slight amount of throttle on, it will improve the recovery.
    I get what you are trying to say and you are correct, there is weight transfer involved. I will caution that there is a fine line between adding beneficial rear weight transfer/grip and adding too much gas and making the slide/spin even worse. In general, its best to not touch any pedal and catch the slide by steering only.

If you do not release pressure from the throttle or sometimes if you just lift-off, your steering corrections would be greatly ineffective, so the throttle is more important than the steering. In a FWD, for an example, the correction is 90% throttle. I do not clearly see his feet on the pedals, so I will not guess anything.
    I disagree. Regardless of FWD, RWD, AWD, steering is the majority of the correction. When you lift off the throttle, where does the weight go/transfer? -to the front. Your front tires have added load which increases grip. If your tires are pointed in the direction you want to go, the added grip will help the front tires straighten out the car. Out of any drivetrain layout, I might reccomend a slight throttle application in a FWD car compared to no throttle application in a RWD car.

Here's a video from the Compass360 Acura TSX I raced in Grand Am from Laguna Seca in '07. Notice in Turn 10 (1:20 into the video) I caught the slide with steering input and slight throttle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iBEIBLbK6I
    Additionally, if oversteer is a result of a forward weight transfer rather than excessive power -- and oversteer on the track should only be of this nature rather than by power -- surely one could apply a nice amount of power (not an agressive application, just moderate acceleration) to make the car grip again while straightening the steering and possibly applying slight countersteer. In this case, the transition in weight is more dominant than the tractive demands of the power application, or the steering angle, in any car.
    I disagree. Steering is the #1 priority (along with looking where you WANT to go). Actually, looking where you WANT to go is probably #1 and steering in that direction will be a natural subconscious byproduct of looking where you want to go.

There is no such thing as "powering out of a slide". -This is one of the biggest misconceptions out there.

Even in a low powered car in a highspeed corner, an aggressive throttle input can prolong the slide because if the rear tires are already sliding, the tire has already lost grip. If the tire loses grip you want the tire to regain grip as fast as possible. Adding gas puts an acceleration load on the tire and keeping in mind that a tire only does 100% of one thing (or a combination of two things that add up to 100) you are reducing cornering grip for acceleration grip -which will prolong the slide, prolong the recovery, and possibly lead to a spin.

It is far better to just look where you want to go and DO NOT touch any pedal. 2 famous sayings:

"When in doubt, (if you're going to catch a slide/spin) Both feet out".
    "When in a spin, both feet in"

Catch the slide by looking where you want to go and steering in that direction. DO NOT touch the throttle because its a knife-edge between a slight improvement in the recovery and greatly worsening the slide by overdoing it.
    I think we can generally agree that this driver could have been much more precise and less horny over the steering wheel.
    I'm surprised our 'mature' audience hasn't caught this yet...

Liked
    1477 times

Good driver. Great track. Damn I'd like to run Spa Francorchamps.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    704 times

I don't know enough to argue with anyone but he looked pretty good to me. I loved the pass on the left with half the car in the grass.

e

Liked
    15 times

^+1

and i hate it when billy is right! (copied from william)
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Liked
    2165 times

I think we can generally agree that this driver could have been much more precise and less horny over the steering wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    I'm surprised our 'mature' audience hasn't caught this yet...

I don't know where everyone else has been, but the I have been in the bathroom. The new Momo steering wheel catalog just arrived in the mail.

Liked
    165 times

It is far better to just look where you want to go and DO NOT touch any pedal. 2 famous sayings:

"When in doubt, (if you're going to catch a slide/spin) Both feet out".
    "When in a spin, both feet in"...
    And, most importantly, "When in doubt, pull it out!"

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Which is difficult if you're too horny over the wheel.

FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Hang on to it, Jeff.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    I don't know where everyone else has been, but the I have been in the bathroom. The new Momo steering wheel catalog just arrived in the mail.

Which is difficult if you're too horny over the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong View Post
    Hang on to it, Jeff.
    Good stuff :lol

I would love to drive Spa as well.... Most F1 drivers say it is their favorite track.

Liked
    2283 times

I would love to drive Spa as well.... Most F1 drivers say it is their favorite track.
    that's probably with a F1 car though. with a Spec Miata, you probably keep throttle floored 99% of the lap.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

FIA WTCC/Formula D Driver MiataCharles_Hong_Kong's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    that's probably with a F1 car though. with a Spec Miata, you probably keep throttle floored 99% of the lap.
    No one drives or knows what a spec miata is in Europe anyway

Liked
    2283 times

Quote Originally Posted by MiataCharles_Hong_Kong View Post
    No one drives or knows what a spec miata is in Europe anyway
    in Europe, they have a ton of Spec series that's way slower than SM. so it will be WOT 99.9% of the time.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2 times

Is it me or... is going into Eau Rouge the scariest fukken thing EVAR

Liked
    0 times

Forgive me for not being available over these last four days (which, to my dismay, was not due to issues related to motorsport).

Billy, the throttle makes up most of the correction: In a RWD (or AWD) if you get power oversteer you can apply full opposite lock, but keep spinning if you do not ease the application of power off. The same applies to lift-off/braking oversteer in a FWD. As a very basic technique, I would either suggest coasting and countersteering or "Both feet in", as you suggested. One of the advantages of the second solution is that wheel-lockup tends to straighten the car, given that all four wheels are locked.

The correct corrections would be one of the following:

1. In a rear or all wheel drive: You keep constant throttle while steering where you want to go (not nessecarily countersteer!). How much throttle/steering depands on many factors: the cause of oversteer (power, lift-off or braking) the drivetrain (more power in a AWD), engine layout and power, sort of corner, speed. If the corner is very fast and the engine really cannot spin the wheels, the advice is simply to accelerate quite hard, without almost any steering input taking place.

2. In a FWD: Hard power while making steering corrections. Often, you will not have to bring the wheel completly straight. Countersteering here means your correction was applied too late or too hard. Another gain from this is that in slower corners, it might spin the front wheels up slightly, which acts like countersteering.

Liked
    15 times

some amazingly great info in this thread!

Liked
    0 times

Let me guess, you were countersteering in a FWD before, eh?

Liked
    15 times

Let me guess, you were countersteering in a FWD before, eh?
    no I'm not that good, I'm havnt graduated to FWD yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast