Thread: GrandAm Cup - Homestead Miami

Liked
    0 times

^ back of the pack to 1st... amazing.

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sti-man View Post
    ^ back of the pack to 1st... amazing.
    They shuffled back after pitting, but Billy did the same thing and brought it home for the win!!!!

Congrats Billy

Liked
    27 times

Niiiiiice!

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Thanks everyone for the compliments and thanks Jeff for following live timing & scoring!

Wow, what a race. We were the fastest in EVERY session during the weekend, Jack qualified P1 which was his first career pole which was taken away on a minor technical infraction and had to start dead last, 34th.

The Technical infraction was: "Improper brake ducts". Our brake ducts fit the wording of the rulebook and it was unfortunate that a disagreement of the interpretation of the rules required us to start last and to remove the brake ducts. Raceday morning I turned a 1:25.9 on old tires -which was 0.016 seconds off our best all weekend with the brake ducts. They didn't affect our speed and in some ways, it might have been a better move to run without them.

Jack did an amazing job moving through the entire field into 1st place without denting a fender. After our pit stop I was in ~12th place and worked my way back up into 2nd place, catching the leader by a little over a second a lap. This pressured him into a mistake where he crashed into another car and I took over the lead and held it for the win.

This should be another very entertaining and exciting race, with both the ST and GS classed cars running together, there was bumping, crashes, great passing, and excitement from start to finish. It's definitely one to TIVO!

This win was a significant milestone marking Jack Roush Sr.'s 400th victory in motorsports!

Billy

Last edited by Stuntman; 03-08-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Liked
    1429 times

More details on the ducts please, engineering minds want to know!

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    +1 and congrats!
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    2165 times

Whoo Hoo!

Way to go Billy.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

I don't have the rulebook infront of me but pretty much: you have to meet the minimum ride height, nothing can stick below the body line of the car, you can't change the 'body lines' of the car, and you have to have 2 brake ducts that take air from anywhere in front of the car.

We had 2 ducts that took air from the front of the car, and wasn't below the min. ride height or any body panel, didn't change the body lines of the car, but it was a wide and thin duct that hasn't really been seen before. The problem was in the interpretation of the rules.

For example: The E46 M3's have a fairly wide brake duct intake taken from the side intakes next to the main radiator inlet (not the kidney grills) and that big brake duct inlet had (2) hoses per side in the one opening. You could argue that they had (4) brake ducts using 2 large openings, but they met the letter of the rulebook just the same as we did. But the officials felt differently about ours.

Rule #1 of the series (in the rule book) is that any race official can make any call at any time even if it conflicts with the rulebook, and that's the final call. You can argue a point but if they don't agree, then it always will go their way. There is no official protest against a decision made by an official. That's a part of the politics and a part of the 'game' when you play in their sandbox.

At the end of the day, the duct did not affect our speed and we still had a great result.

Be sure to catch it on SPEED Channel this weekend: March 6 (Sat.) Homestead-Miami Speedway March 13 (Sat.), 1 p.m. ET

Billy
    Last edited by Stuntman; 03-08-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Working
    Liked
    29 times

Congrats Billy!

Liked
    27 times

Way to bring it on home!
    2009 Nissan GT-R -- nicely modded

Liked
    0 times

Look forward to seeing this on speed.. wish they could broadcast it live.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Here is Grand-Am's official video explaining what happens during the Post-qualifying Tech Inspection. This video was taken during the first race at Daytona, where our car passed PQ Tech with our brake ducts -that you can see in the video if you look closely. Kind of ironic but that's part of the game, and all the teams are in the same boat.

http://www.grand-am.com/multimedia/v...op.cfm?mid=823

Billy

Liked
    1429 times

You know rule #1 may not be all that fair, but a dictatorship is the most efficient form of government. The miatachallenge has the same rule and it wouldn't surprise me if many more non-SCCA orgs have it as well.

You just have to hope you get a fair benevolent dictator

Liked
    3 times

congrats Billy!

way to make that Mustang kick some ass!

one of these days I may be seeking your advice for track set-up on my own mustang.... that is, when the money is there lol.

good luck to you guys on future races too!
    -DanBev

2005 Mustang 4.0L(->4.6L)
    Mineral Grey

FUN!

Liked
    22 times

You know rule #1 may not be all that fair, but a dictatorship is the most efficient form of government. The miatachallenge has the same rule and it wouldn't surprise me if many more non-SCCA orgs have it as well.

You just have to hope you get a fair benevolent dictator
    Well maybe, but I kind of like bribing the judges like the lemons races better

Nothing a good bottle of booze won;t get you.
    Corvette Specialty C6
    Life is like a race, the best times win!

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Thanks everyone!

Liked
    47 times

Thats the thing about the GA rules that really made it tough for me as an aero guy. Basically whatever they say is approved is approved. There aren't really any rules.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2