+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grand Am Koni Challenge -Daytona race airs on SPEED Sat. 1/31/09 at 4pm EST

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Exclamation Grand Am Koni Challenge -Daytona race airs on SPEED Sat. 1/31/09 at 4pm EST

The Grand Am Koni Challenge Fresh from Florida 200 airs on SPEED tomorrow (Saturday 1/31/09) at 4pm EST.

Set your DVR and cheer on the #18 Porsche 997!

Here's my press release for the race (WARNING: Spoiler)

Daytona: Billy Johnson Race Notes
    Racing series GRANDAM-SCC

Date 2009-01-28

MOTORSPORT TECHNOLOGY GROUP FINISHES 4TH AT DAYTONA

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Jan. 28 - The No.18 Motorsport Technology Group Porsche 997 of Tony Buffomante of Naperville, Il. and Billy Johnson of San Clemente Ca. finished fourth in the Fresh from Florida 200 season opener Friday at Daytona International Speedway. The strong top-5 is Motorsport Technology Group’s best finish at Daytona, positioning them for a strong run at the 2009 Koni Challenge Series Championship.

The 4th place finish marks the highest finishing Porsche in the Mustang-dominated GS class, as well as the highest finishing driver from the inaugural Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Series with Tony Buffomante. With only seven laps under his belt in a Porsche and at Daytona International Speedway, Buffomante qualified the No. 18 Morris Animal Foundation in the 21st position. Like a seasoned veteran, Buffomante fought through the GS field into the top 10 before turning the controls over to Johnson.

"Tony did a great job especially with so little seat time" Johnson said. "Every session Tony was dropping seconds and was great to work with. He moved through the field, took care of the car, and turned it over in a great position. I couldn’t have asked for more."

When the race resumed after the third caution, Johnson found himself in the 42nd position right behind Bill Auberlen. Consistently turning some of the fastest times of the race, Johnson in the No. 18 Porsche matched Auberlen pass for pass and eight laps later both found themselves in the top 10.

“I had a great time moving through what seemed like the entire field with Bill. I could hang with him through most of the traffic and infield but that car was a rocket-ship on the straights.”

Johnson worked his way up to 6th before the next caution came out on lap 44. Many of the leaders including Johnson pitted for their last fuel stop. Unfortunately some complications in the pits caused the No. 18 to drop down to 14th. With just an hour to go, Johnson worked his way back up to 4th closing in on Auberlen and the following two Mustangs before the last and final yellow fell ending the race.

“The guys at Motorsport Technology Group did a fantastic job this weekend. The car handled the best it ever has and hooked up better than most cars coming out of corners. This is a great start for the 2009 season and I look forward to keeping this momentum to see the podium in the near future” said Johnson.

-credit: Johnson

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
    The Grand Am Koni Challenge Fresh from Florida 200 airs on SPEED tomorrow (Saturday 1/31/09) at 4pm EST.
    Tomorrow? Saturday? Today is Saturday.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Tomorrow? Saturday? Today is Saturday.
    <copy> <paste> -from another forum posted yesterday

What's Traction Control? 600RR_Rocket's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Nice...from 14th to 4th...that's quite a position change in such short of a time...congrats!

Love all those neon, multi-colored dog bone/paws stickers all over the Porsche!

BOOM!Tough Actin Tinactin minorthreat's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

daaaaaaaam im up north and we dont have that channel!
    Jairo "Hido" J

Gamble It Films!
    http://www.GambleItFilms.blogspot.com

Liked
    165 times

Great job man. I look forward to watching you & MTG taking the fight to guys like Auberlen this season!

Liked
    0 times

hey billy, this kid Connor De-Flippi or something was at my house last night hanging out with my little brother, he said he knew you. Seems like a bright one with a good future.

Liked
    103 times

yeah the paint job/sticker job is way cool

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
    hey billy, this kid Connor De-Flippi or something was at my house last night hanging out with my little brother, he said he knew you. Seems like a bright one with a good future.
    Haha, small world. I think he's 15 or 16 now.

Connor was in my sister's class in elementary school. He also raced karts at the same events as I did. At the time he was a little tyke racing in the junior-karts. He has come a long way and now positioned himself within Skip Barber and Mazda's ladder program. He is a very good driver and does have a bright future.

Liked
    1 times

Billy - Is MTG a new name for PTG? The same team you've been running with for a while??
    Montinola Racing | www.montinola.com
    Silicon Valley Racing | www.DriveSVR.com
    Driver Coaching :: Private Track Events

i dont care
    Liked
    5 times

congrats billy.. good job
    driving cars n stuff....

Liked
    0 times

very nice work man!!

Liked
    549 times

you definitely got cheated out of coverage on a great drive as you moved the car up and they stayed focused on the top 3. heck of a deal!

Steve

"Shoe"
    Liked
    542 times

Quote Originally Posted by MontinolaRacing View Post
    Billy - Is MTG a new name for PTG? The same team you've been running with for a while??
    I've driven for MTG (Previously Marcus Motorsports) last year and now this year. The name was switched to "MTG" because of the owner's (Steve Marcus) relationship with PTG owner Tom Milner. I guess more of emulating Milner and his team's name rather than using his last name. -I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    you definitely got cheated out of coverage on a great drive as you moved the car up and they stayed focused on the top 3. heck of a deal!

Steve
    Yea I know, but you could see me in the corner of the screen for the last half of the race Next time i'll just have to be in that mess to get some coverage

Liked
    2165 times

Darn. I think I missed it. I will have to look for re-broadcasts.

To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

+ Reply to Thread