+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: This is golden age of trackable OEM cars...

Liked
    89 times

To clarify, the only point that I was *trying* to make was how quickly folks can come to the (incorrect) conclusion that Car Model "a" is faster than Car Model "b" because they saw it with their own two eyes!
    bellwilliam and Red_5 like this.

"Shoe"
    Liked
    590 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    On the positive side, we were at our home track at Spring Mountain this weekend and the local (Las Vegas) Porsche Car Club was there and they ran a really great event - in fact one of the most drama-free HPDE events that I recall attending in years. Kudos to both the organizers and also the participants. It was a beautiful weekend with peak temps on both Sat and Sun around 73-75F!

The event had a very wide variety of entrants - GT3, GT4, E92 M3's, Mclaren 675, Fiesta STs, C7, C6, GT350, GT350R, etc. We were there this weekend to practice and get set-ups for the NASA Thunderhill race in two weeks. We had a guest there with us also and, like us, was running his NASA Spec Miata. I am reminded again and again, at these venues it is ALL driver. Of all the entrants (in the top 2 run groups) there may have only been 1 or 2 cars lapping faster than the Spec Miatas were. Despite that virtually all of the cars in these run groups had MUCH better straightaway acceleration, once again kudos for good driving and letting the Miatas inch by in these passing zones.
    Playing devil's advocate:

PCA tends to be the most strict hpde organizers out there. If a SM is one of the fastest cars in track, that does not speak well to the ability of the owners of those much faster cars. so the difficulty becomes the balance of keeping people safe and far from the limit vs giving people a safe environment to learn how to push the limits of their cars and themselves to learn and get better.

I understand the liability and position event organizers have to keep their patrons safe, but I guess without society as a whole taking responsibility for ones own actions, it becomes difficult and somewhat pointless to have an HPDE event if you're not allowed to push the limits of one's self and car in a safe environment rather than on the street.

I wonder what the future of the sport/hobby holds as things get stricter in hpde events..
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    2356 times

Quote Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
    What big brand rental cars might make the list?
    Maybe they need their own list of rental cars that can be driven at 9/10ths and still make it back to the counter with no obvious damage.
    I can tell you the Hemi Dodge Challenger does not make that list.

Liked
    89 times

I think PCA ran a good event. Turnout was smaller than usual despite PERFECT weather. Not sure PCA did anything to limit drivers from exploring the car's limits - especially in the two fastest groups. The reality is the the capability of many of these cars far exceeds the skills of most of their owners - therefore making "exploration" somewhat of a dicey proposition.

Liked
    2528 times

it could be as simple as I really don't care if I totaled my Miata, but I care very much getting a rock chip on McLaren 675

from experience (as a Miata owner). braking duel with a nice car, Miata always win, for some strange reason, the other car always give up the corner.....
    as a new GT350 owner, I can assure you I hate Miata in my session........
    Olitho, bawareca and JJ1 like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    89 times

Not sure if you are my age but back in the day, if you wanted a great track car, you took your Datsun 510 to the track and could explore limits all day long. In today's world, you will see track inexperienced peeps showing up in GT350's and vettes where the limits of the car are comparably exceptional.

Liked
    41 times

Comparing lap times at Road America 2014

60's Vintage Lola T70 hot lapping at 2:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A59ViKFoMyA

Modern Audi R8 LMS at Parilli World Challenge race 2014 at 2:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqo7bvtw_VA

In todays dollars the Lola T70 is 1/10th the cost of an Audi R8 LMS.
    And you could drive your Lola T70 to the track in the '60s
    Pick your Golden Age
    Olitho and passmenow like this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2585 times

You're missing the point entirely Richard. That laws in that era allowed one to drive race cars on the street has no bearing on its utility.
    One could rather easily configure the R8 to be road legal and it actually has air conditioning, starts hot or cold at the push of a button and probably gets pretty good gas mileage.

No, the point of this thread is that these modern streetcars work so well on the track and still function well as daily drivers. My bone stock GT350 recently turned lap times at Buttonwillow that would put it at the top of a grid at an scca race 20 years ago. Our engineer drove it there in air conditioned comfort, on cruise control, diddling with the onboard nav. Sonny then flogged it for two days. Never needed oil, didn't overheat. John drove it home.
    My condolences to someone who wants to drive the Lola T70 from Buttonwillow to Laguna Niguel with a little bit of stop-and-go traffic in 100 weather.
    Last edited by emilio700; 11-20-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    bellwilliam and ucfbrett like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    41 times

I get it Emilio. The Mustang is an amazing piece of engineering.
    And to each I say, pick your Golden Age.

But to paraphrase your remarks on the new Vette...
    "Weighs like 3800#
    I'd take Viper ACR over this hog
    Still waiting for the 2000#, 550whp Lola T70 street car
    yawn "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6