+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: This is golden age of trackable OEM cars...

Liked
    2282 times

Default This is golden age of trackable OEM cars...

We are living in the golden age of track cars.... so many great OEM cars that requires very little or no modification for track duty. No times in the history, have cars been this reliable let alone fast !!

ND Miata
    GT350
    ZL1
    Vette z51
    Viper ACR
    GT4
    GT3

what cars am I missing ? modern cars that can go fast with simple (brakes and tires) and not breaking or go into limp mode......

I am not sure about c7 z06. GM had so many issues with 15 and 16, now they again claimed they've fixed it in 2017.
    I also am not to sure about any modern BMW (even old ones) or Mercedes......
    also not sure about any of exotics.....only read what they can do, but reviewers almost never poo poo on those cars fearing of not invited back to Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren events (which are certainly fancier than a Kia event)
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2391 times

Agree. It's a shame that the manufacturers took so long to bring true track ready cars down under $100k for the proletariat. HPDE/ Track days sorta started in the late 80's but didn't really go big time until the early 00's. So it's taken roughly 12 years for the US mfr's to get it right.
    Porsche always had the GT3 but to be fair, it was a detuned version of a fully developed race car and well beyond the reach of the average enthusiast. Japan and the rest of Germany are still lagging. A fully track ready 370Z, or lightweight M2 would be sweet. How about a lightweight 86 with another 60 forced induction whp, crazy brakes and coolers everywhere.

ZL1 1LE. To be fair the 1LE should have three separate entries. V6, SS and ZL1. Three separate drivetrain and aero packages. Kudos to Chevy for doing this. Sad that they can win Le Mans with the C6 a bunch of times and never delivered the track ready car we all hoped for. Love my GT350 but would have rather
    had a C6R clone. Not to be confused with that sticker speed C7R abomination they offered.

86 overheats but the car itself works really well on track. ND gets scary hot diff/trans/oil temps but keeps going fast and doesn't shut down.

You almost need two categories:

Cars that Billy can drive for 5 laps on BW13CW on a 100° day without going into limp mode and throwing codes, losing brakes. We could call these TrackHQ Certified - Track Ready®
    vs
    Cars that merely work well on track but **** the bed after one lap on a warm day. We could call these TrackHQ Certified - Track Wannabe®

The 370Z works pretty well for one lap on a cool day but ****s the bed past that. Probably most M cars fall into that category.
    SteveLevin, Stuntman and JJ1 like this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

Liked
    51 times

I like Emilio's idea of creating a couple of lists of cars, and then continuing to improve/refine them as we get more information. I agree that there are a lot of track capable cars out-of-the-box that track newbies can have a lot of fun in. Then there's the smaller list of production cars that can REALLY do track days with a skilled driver in weather that is frequently 95F+.

I thought the the Grand Sport was now the best track model from GM? All of the coolers of the Z06 but NA and doesn't overheat like its predecessors?
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2242 times

Quote Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
    I like Emilio's idea of creating a couple of lists of cars, and then continuing to improve/refine them as we get more information. I agree that there are a lot of track capable cars out-of-the-box that track newbies can have a lot of fun in. Then there's the smaller list of production cars that can REALLY do track days with a skilled driver in weather that is frequently 95F+.

I thought the the Grand Sport was now the best track model from GM? All of the coolers of the Z06 but NA and doesn't overheat like its predecessors?
    That's how I understood it, too. The Grand Sport has 460 horsepower and a dry-sump oiling system. It's 45 horsepower down from a C6 Z06, but this is the track car to have if you're looking for a brand new 'vette.

Liked
    2242 times

Maybe in 2020, we'll have a rotary-powered GT3 car from Mazda:

It's Official - Mazda is Working on a New Rotary Engine » AutoGuide.com News

Liked
    2282 times

Brenda of Trakhq can make a ton of money !!! like Jeep's "trail rated" or CR's "recommended"

categories:

A - zero issue what soever, fluid change allowed.
    B - needs brake pads and/or tires and/or fluid change and/or etc....simple mods
    C - good for 1 lap in hot weather or 5 laps in cool weather or you are just slow
    D - good for beginners
    F - the rest
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 09-05-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    JJ1 likes this.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    6 times

ZL1 1LE ftw!

Loose Caboose likes this.
    2015 GT3
    2013 GT-R (Sold)
    2009 GT-R (Sold)

Liked
    2282 times

was at Chevy dealer last weekend....this is a 1LE (it was a $7,500 option)

I am pretty sure if I had offered $10k over, they would of took it. Chevy performance model also have a history of heavy discount, so wait a year, I bet it is gonna be cheap !!

17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2391 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Brenda of Trakhq can make a ton of money !!! like Jeep's "trail rated" or CR's "recommended"

categories:

A - zero issue what soever, fluid change allowed.
    B - needs brake pads and/or tires and/or fluid change and/or etc....simple mods
    C - good for 1 lap in hot weather or 5 laps in cool weather or you are just slow
    D - good for beginners
    F - the rest
    I would narrow it down to 3 categories

Track Ready. No asterisks. GT3, 1LE, GT350
    Wannabe. Handles well, needs to work to survive with expert driver. 86, Z06, M3, STi
    Just No. Has no business being put on a race track. Sienna, Any VW, Kia
    jqsti2015 likes this.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    6 times

was at Chevy dealer last weekend....this is a 1LE (it was a $7,500 option)

I am pretty sure if I had offered $10k over, they would of took it. Chevy performance model also have a history of heavy discount, so wait a year, I bet it is gonna be cheap !!

Wow $20k mark up?!? I sent these guys a message the other day and they stopped responding when I asked for a ballpark trade in for my car. lol! I really liked how it looked in gunmetal. Oh well.
    2015 GT3
    2013 GT-R (Sold)
    2009 GT-R (Sold)

fe4
    Liked
    29 times

This is a great list for the "life after C5Z06" search...

ND and 86 have decent Solo2 crossover classing, the others not so much.

Liked
    237 times

Add 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302 to that list. I know guys who tracked them with the OEM brake pads (not that I recommend that).
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    51 times

Are we discussing brand new cars only? The S2000 does surprisingly well with the factory cooling, even in the SoCal summers. Just gotta keep an eye on rotors, they don't last long, with advanced drivers cracking rotors rather often
    bellwilliam and Loose Caboose like this.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    Add 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302 to that list. I know guys who tracked them with the OEM brake pads (not that I recommend that).
    really ? surprised to hear that..I can't remember a time I saw a fast stock Boss 302 car. no overheating ? brake pads is no biggie. even cars with trackable OEM pads probably swap them out soon.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by JulioG View Post
    Are we discussing brand new cars only? The S2000 does surprisingly well with the factory cooling, even in the SoCal summers. Just gotta keep an eye on rotors, they don't last long, with advanced drivers cracking rotors rather often
    yeap, S2k are great track cars (other than pads and rotors you mentioned). it was the official Trackhq vehicle for many years.
    only problem is their price kept climbing for past 5 years, no longer a great deal.
    17 GT350 !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    366 times

Here's a 1LE for 7000 less than MSRP.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...elow-msrp.html
    bellwilliam likes this.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    2391 times

yeap, S2k are great track cars (other than pads and rotors you mentioned). it was the official Trackhq vehicle for many years.
    only problem is their price kept climbing for past 5 years, no longer a great deal.
    I would still put the S2K in the Track Ready list. Rear hubs and rotors go boom but only if maintenance is really neglected. But one could buy a bone stock S2K from the dealer, swap pads and do maybe 3 track weekends in the heat before touching anything.
    Value wise, the bottom out price was a few years ago but they're still cheaper than most track cars.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Liked
    33 times

86 does not need much cooling wise to survive, oil cooler or oil cooler/rad combo is a simple solution to that problem.

Liked
    237 times

really ? surprised to hear that..I can't remember a time I saw a fast stock Boss 302 car. no overheating ? brake pads is no biggie. even cars with trackable OEM pads probably swap them out soon.
    I tracked mine at ACS in July. No engine overheating.

In stock form they are fast cars. I was hitting 141-142 mph on the oval portion of the track. My car is totally stock except for camber plates, BBS wheels, trans cooling scoop (which may not do much), Boss 302S upper grille, track pads, DOT 4 brake fluid, and brake cooling ducts.

What impressed me most about the Boss 302 is how capable and track-ready it is straight out of the box. In that regard, it is kind of like a Miata on (lots of) steroids.
    Last edited by MikeColangelo; 09-05-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    bellwilliam and jnathan68 like this.

Liked
    51 times

A while back, I bought a 2012 Boss Mustang with 4000 miles and no modifications (factory brakes, factory tires, no additional cooling mods (although car came stock with a bigger aluminum radiator), etc.). Took it to Auto Club on a 95 degree day and drove it all day without any issues. Now, I am not the fastest driver (believe I was running low 1:58's, first time tracking that car) and I didn't have anyway of monitoring certain fluid temps (e.g. diff or trans) but brakes and everything else worked all day long.
    bellwilliam and MikeColangelo like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast