+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Going out on sticker tires

Liked
    2243 times

Default Going out on sticker tires

The last race of the season, I had some new tires installed at the track. Normally, I peel off the "stickers" on the tires before going out, but I didn't have time to do that at Buttonwillow.

I suspected the car would handle funny, but it was much worse when I got out on track. The car chattered in the turns so bad it felt like the lug nuts were loose, yet I see people go out on fresh stickers all the time.

Do any of you bother to peel off the stickers before heading out? If you don't, what do you do to minimize/combat the quirky handling that first lap? Do yo dump the clutch to peel off the rears and let the front wear off gradually?

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

I didn't know that leaving the stickers on was a thing. Seriously? Just pull them off-- they're stickers.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2243 times

It's not a thing, at least that I know of. I just didn't have time to do it this time. They are a bit of a nuisance to remove. They don't always come off in one piece. I seldom have the fingernails it takes to do it. It takes a few minutes per tire and the glue really sticks to your fingers afterward.

Liked
    2282 times

sigh........thread like this is what gives Miata drivers reputations....

just leave them on. it had nothing to do with your wheel chattering.

ideally. you put on sticker tires. bring it up to speed gradually (say 80% 1st lap, 95% 2nd lap), park the car, take tires off. and let it sit overnight. next session, tires will be FAST !!!
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 10-28-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    742 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    It's not a thing, at least that I know of. I just didn't have time to do it this time. They are a bit of a nuisance to remove. They don't always come off in one piece. I seldom have the fingernails it takes to do it. It takes a few minutes per tire and the glue really sticks to your fingers afterward.
    You don't have long fingernails? Are you sure you drive a Miata?
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    2282 times

It takes a few minutes per tire and the glue really sticks to your fingers afterward.
    don't all Miata drivers carry a hair dryer like I do ?
    or may be you put on too much hand lotion in the morning ?
    Olitho, hakeem, ucfbrett and 4 others like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    977 times

I've never peeled the stickers off, I'd be amazed if you could tell they were there. Maybe if they create this kind of chattering on Miata's you could go around sticking pieces of paper to your competitors tires, destroying their races, hopes, and dreams?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    Beee Essss.

Going out on stickers had me thinking my wheels were about to fall off during the warmup lap.

Liked
    704 times

I think I've only gone out on one set of stickers and they were RRs, didn't notice any issues. I only ran them for a couple of laps then put them away.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    116 times

Not so stickey on stickers I take it! Did you get your engine rebuilt ?
    ucfbrett likes this.

Liked
    29 times

when i purchased a new set of tires last month, the tech peeled them off but tons of goop was left on the tires which collected crap off the street. took a few miles and corners to clean them off. i say leave them on.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    sigh........thread like this is what gives Miata drivers reputations....

ideally. you put on sticker tires. bring it up to speed gradually (say 80% 1st lap, 95% 2nd lap), park the car, take tires off. and let it sit overnight. next session, tires will be FAST !!!

I agree. I never take the stickers off. If it was chattering it must be that your car was not used to all that grip. My tires/wheels never chatter, although the sticker is a much smaller footprint on my tire. The sticker is always gone by about the third turn due to all the tire warming I do pre-race. I race on A6s and I never pre-scrub or heat cycle the tires. I just go out and race them. The whole heat cycle thing is hard to do just right, I think it has dubious benefits, and it is a PITA.

Put them on and go race, stickers and all.
    bellwilliam and jimt like this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2243 times

I'm with Rob. The stickers cover much more surface area on a 205/50/15 than on a T2 Vette tire. I'm not imagining it the chattering.

It took nearly a whole lap of CW13 to get the weirdness out of the car. I was scrubbing side to side trying to get them to go away. Maybe I should just drive the lap, although it still would have chattered in all the turns, and they probably wouldn't have come off as quickly.

No, despite Miata ownership, I don't have fabulous fingernails. As soon as they start hitting the keys on the keyboard before my fingertips, they get clipped.

Yes, my engine is still kablooey. I'm kind of waiting for all the Spec Miata rules to be settled before I dive in.

Liked
    977 times

Btw Brent, I swear I posted a FS thread that disappeared. Is it your doing?
    Olitho likes this.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    It vanished almost as fast as your engines!
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2243 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I have For Sale threads going into a moderation queue because I'm going to start charging for for sale items. I just approved the thread. I installed a plugin that was supposed to send the seller to PayPal before the thread went live but it's not working. Something about a cron job or some such gibberish I know nothing about.

Liked
    1429 times

I have For Sale threads going into a moderation queue because I'm going to start charging for for sale items. I just approved the thread. I installed a plugin that was supposed to send the seller to PayPal before the thread went live but it's not working. Something about a cron job or some such gibberish I know nothing about.
    Cron jobs are something that gets run on a timer. Like you might set up a cron to execute a script that backs up a file at 2am each day.

Liked
    981 times

I peel my stickers off and put them on Oli's scrubs when he's not looking.
    Olitho, hakeem, ucfbrett and 4 others like this.

Liked
    46 times

I'm with Rob. The stickers cover much more surface area on a 205/50/15 than on a T2 Vette tire. I'm not imagining it the chattering.

It took nearly a whole lap of CW13 to get the weirdness out of the car. I was scrubbing side to side trying to get them to go away. Maybe I should just drive the lap, although it still would have chattered in all the turns, and they probably wouldn't have come off as quickly.

No, despite Miata ownership, I don't have fabulous fingernails. As soon as they start hitting the keys on the keyboard before my fingertips, they get clipped.

Yes, my engine is still kablooey. I'm kind of waiting for all the Spec Miata rules to be settled before I dive in.
    Sticker tires are actually named as such because the manufacture intended for new tires to be worn in with the stickers still attached. During transport and storage, the very outer layer of rubber suffers from micro-oxidization and the chemical engineers of the sticker factory design the adhesive to neutralize this effect when the tires get spun past a certain rpm. Once the chemicals are activated, they wick around the circumference of the tire and provide a momentary increase in maximum grip. An old school trick that is now banned in many organizations is to obtain surplus stickers and completely cover the tire before each race. The chattering you experienced might be caused by improper break in of the stickers. You must maintain a certain g-force for a certain amount of time to achieve the maximum retention of grip enhancing adhesive compounds. Usually the tire manufacture can provide you with this information, although only the higher-ups will be privy to this insider secret information.

Liked
    2243 times

It seemed to me the chatter was from the stickers sliding on the asphalt, then the tire gripping as it rotated to where bare rubber was in contact with the racing surface.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast