+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RobertR1
  • 2 Post By J. Tyler

Thread: Going to Japan...Automotive Things to Do?

Liked
    51 times

Default Going to Japan...Automotive Things to Do?

Taking my first trip to Japan next year. Probably going to spend around 3 weeks and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far as what to do/see from a car lovers perspective? I have looked a few things up but figured definitely some well traveled car fanatics on this site so couldn't hurt to ask.

Not sure exactly time of year but probably June into early July or September into October. Although it was a while ago, my wife lived in Japan for over 3 years (different parts) and speaks Japanese so we plan to see as much of the country as possible (not planning to rent a car, just use trains).

Thanks for any recommendations.

Liked
    50 times

Suzuka trackday. One of my bucket list tracks.
    JJ1 likes this.

Liked
    2 times

Tsukuba and Ebisu are some other fun circuits. Guess it depends what part of the country you're in.

Maybe try do a visit of some of the more famous tuning shops; RE Amemiya if you're a Mazda/rotary fan; Spoon Sports for Honda; Mines; Top Secret and HKS for more variety.

For super cheap second hand (sometimes new) parts and other car related items visit UpGarage and Autobacs.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    345 times

Go shopping for Emilio.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    140 times

small thread detour ahead...

Has anyone been the GP in Japan? I will be in HKG the week before to visit my brother (ex pat chinglish professor). Looks like the track is a bit out in the sticks what where did you stay (area/city) and what mode of transport did you use?
    Not sure you really want a car and deal with the parking?

TIA

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    small thread detour ahead...

Has anyone been the GP in Japan? I will be in HKG the week before to visit my brother (ex pat chinglish professor). Looks like the track is a bit out in the sticks what where did you stay (area/city) and what mode of transport did you use?
    Not sure you really want a car and deal with the parking?

TIA
    Yep, went in 2011, stayed in Nagoya, took the train to the track every day (easy, it drops you off near the track).

Can't say enough good things about the Japanese GP. It's an incredible event, F1 cars through 130R, Spoon, T1, the Esses, etc are just amazing to behold, the Japanese people are awesome, great food/beer.... basically, just go lol.

Liked
    140 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    Yep, went in 2011, stayed in Nagoya, took the train to the track every day (easy, it drops you off near the track).

Can't say enough good things about the Japanese GP. It's an incredible event, F1 cars through 130R, Spoon, T1, the Esses, etc are just amazing to behold, the Japanese people are awesome, great food/beer.... basically, just go lol.
    Thanks, it is looking more and more like we are going to make the side trip from HKG. The wife is on board too that says alot she has NEVER been to any of my local track events in 20 plus years of amateur racing.

Liked
    855 times

Pretty understandable.

Local riff raff versus international celebrities.

Easy call . . .

Liked
    165 times

Quote Originally Posted by granth View Post
    Thanks, it is looking more and more like we are going to make the side trip from HKG. The wife is on board too that says alot she has NEVER been to any of my local track events in 20 plus years of amateur racing.
    Get to the track early on Friday and spend the day walking around the track watching for a little while from each corner. On Friday, all grandstands are open to any/all ticket holder and it's a great chance to learn your way around and see the cars. Saturday & Sunday will be pretty packed and you are limited to your assigned seats and general admission viewing areas only.

+ Reply to Thread