+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By bellwilliam
  • 2 Post By bellwilliam

Thread: Goal Zero Yeti 1000 Lithium battery power station "generator" using solar setup

Liked
    2528 times

Default Goal Zero Yeti 1000 Lithium battery power station "generator" using solar setup

want to share my new "generator" setup.

relatively lightweight
    not super expensive, ~$1,500. just a little more than a Honda Eu2000i.
    QUIET, as in nothing.
    great for race weekend
    makes coffee
    microwave works
    runs hair dryer
    runs water kettle
    no running cost (sun is free !!)

At trackside, I often want to run a coffee maker, water kettle (for ramen), TV (for video review), charge tool. Problem is they all run on 110v, coffee maker, small microwave and water kettle is a high draw item, ~1,000-1,500w. Hair dryer (Miata OEM) also is a high amperage draw item.
    110v means a loud generator, and often require refilling fuel throughout the weekend. It also takes time to kick in, so turn on generator, wait a minute, then run your appliance, then turn off generator.

This just came out and is a Costco exclusive item. A Lithium battery power station generator. I've tested it out, it will run my all items above. The only thing it can't run is my RV's AC.

https://www.costco.com/Goal-Zero-Yet...100338966.html
    $1,000 and 42LB. They got them in stores locally.
    Portable Solar Battery Charger | Portable Solar Panels | Off-Grid Solar Generators | Goal Zero - Extreme Portable Power

You would charge it fully at home (AC). It will probably last you the weekend if you are careful with power usage. If you drink coffee 5 times a day, then you might want to add solar: x2 100w solar panel - flexible ones ($180 each) is more expensive then rigid one ($100 each). But you can tape (permanently and easily) it onto roof of a trailer or your SUV / truck and/or lighter to move around.

Yeti 1000 has a built in solar charge controller, will accept max of 160w (using 8mm) or 240w (using Anderson PowerPole connectors). It also accept AC (110v, slow like 18 hour to fully charge) and DC (car, even slower) input. It has AC output (110v), DC output and 4 USB output.

this is the exact parts list you need to build a simple solar setup. Everything is plug and play. No drilling (unless you want to permanent mount on trailer), no screw driver needed. Just your credit card.

x2 flexible 2LB solar panel (if you are frugal with power, 1 panel would do. you can also go with cheaper $100 rigid 15LB panel)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013E07FNM

Y cable, to run them in parallel
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FWO3RAE

8mm to MC4 adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N80YN2K/

30' 8mm extension cable, pick your length, but 30' is great for roof install or portable. Cheaper on Goalzero than Amazon (as in 1/2 price, free shipping if you use "SHIPZERO" code)
    8.0mm Input 30ft Extension Cable | Cords & Adapters | Goal Zero

if you are installing it on roof, tape for taping onto trailer roof. it is STICKY, and all you need.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GOM2I8

note if you install it on the roof, because of angle, you will never get maximum solar input. Max you gonna get is probably 60w (5a) mid day.
    you can add up to 4 panels, but 3 is probably better. It also gets a bit complicated, you need to start adding fuses (15a fuse by the panel), use Anderson PowerPole plugs instead of the 8mm (which is kinda thin, not enough gauge of a wire)
    You can shop around for solar panels, just make sure they have MC4 connectors (95% of them do).

with this setup, I was able to run a big TV (we use for video playback for all SuperMiata drivers), run Espresso maker few times a day, water kettle couple of times a day, charge tools and USB devices for 1 race weekend. no noise !! only time I run a gas generator is when I need air conditioner.

Last edited by bellwilliam; 04-28-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Red_5 and bawareca like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    764 times

This seems like a great product especially for a portable option. I hope the prices on these types of products keep dropping. At this price, I'm more tempted by a gas & propane generator. A down side of generators is dealing with old fuel and general maintenance.

I need to upgrade the battery system for our travel trailer along with adding solar to the roof. I really like the idea of the flexible panels stuck to the roof of my trailer.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2528 times

If you are adding house batteries to your trailer. Costco currently have 6v Golf cart Interstate batteries really cheap (~85)

For trailering:
    6v golf (wired in series for 12v) > 12v RV/marine > car battery

With a portable gas generator. You need to do a ton of stuff to just run that 30 seconds microwave. If you have no remote control. You got to go outside to generator, start it. Wait 1 minute for house to kick in, start microwave, go outside and shut off generator.

With Yeti, you run house 110v cord to it. Always on.
    Red_5 and bawareca like this.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

+ Reply to Thread