Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Getting married = game over track days

Liked
    6 times

Unhappy Getting married = game over track days

So after finally getting the miata ready and all

I recently got married.

And it seems impossible now to hit the track again without jeopardizing my savings. We want to save up for our wedding ceremony (believe me, for our culture this is mandatory to satisfy the parents from both sides) and get our own place to live together as soon as possible.

I'm very lucky to have a wife who encourages me to hit the track, but it is hard for me to go knowing that it will eat away from my savings, and thus delay the wedding ceremony and getting our own place.

So it seems like I will not hit the track for a loooong time.

What do you guys do to satisfy your cravings for the track? just go-kart and game simulation will do?

I've been itching to go for a while and I'm definitely playing a LOT more video games now... which my also gamer wife approves.

Liked
    1429 times

Tell the parents if they want a wedding so badly they can pay for it.

Are you so sure you actually have a wife that encourages you to hit the track?

Richter's fav quote still applies: "Son, this is not a sport for poor people, maybe you should take up basketball"

But yeah, karting, autocross, and iRacing. Maybe go crew for the 949 team? Take up lemons?

But seriously though, if you can't afford it now, unless you're gonna make lots more money, you are well and truly boned for decades. If your family demands a wedding, I'm guessing they demand grandchildren as well?
    MikeColangelo and psychoazn like this.

Liked
    981 times

If you are in SoCal there are some good places down there for auto-x. Hone your skills in auto-x and it will transfer to the track later when you have more cash. Plus your wife can co-drive if she's interested.

Liked
    2282 times

Not sure what culture you are from. But it is a myth that parents from some culture demands a big wedding.
    It is YOU who think they WANT a big wedding.

You are lucky your wife encourages now. That will Change once she has kids. Trust me on that.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    c32b likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    1477 times

Let me get this straight. You are married, but you have not yet had a marriage ceremony, and you don't live with your wife. She encourages you to go to the track but you don't because you are worried about money. You spent money to get your Miata track ready, knowing that you were getting married, which would put the kibosh on going to the track. What's wrong with this picture?
    hakeem and krazik like this.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    1429 times

disregard-females-acquire-currency.jpg

Liked
    6 times

i got the miata track ready thinking i can still go to the track relatively cheap even after I get married... but relatively cheap is still not cheap, and so I decide to not go to maximize savings.

My wife love ride-alongs at the track... she got a ride once from Robi (Robispec), and she told me I still have loooooong ways to go to reach his level of driving smoooooothness... ugh! Definitely motivates me to drive better.
    Last edited by bluefrog; 06-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Liked
    29 times

how much for the miata?

Liked
    2282 times

It is YOU who think they (parents) want a big wedding. Regardless of the culture
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    6 times

can't sell this awesome daily driver just yet! It takes on 15mph on-ramp at 60! and throttle response like no other!

well, we actually just plan to have a nice small wedding, 10K max. Parents can take it or leave it. We both hates attention so no wedding ceremony would be optimal for us. But just can't upset the parents like that...

Fortunately, my wife is not into kids... so maybe i can track again after the wedding thing and getting our own place.
    Last edited by bluefrog; 06-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Liked
    29 times

oh man consider yourself lucky to only being having a 10k wedding! I will be tying the knot next sept and already our guest list is 375+

Liked
    6 times

375+!!! wowow, I'll get a weak knee delivering speech to that many people for sure! Hopefully we can keep ours under 100... hopefully...

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by bluefrog View Post
    she got a ride once from Robi (Robispec), and she told me I still have loooooong ways to go to reach his level of driving smoooooothness... ugh!
    This is a thinly veiled deep insult.
    bellwilliam, psychoazn and krazik like this.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by bluefrog View Post
    375+!!! wowow, I'll get a weak knee delivering speech to that many people for sure! Hopefully we can keep ours under 100... hopefully...
    Wait, are you married or engaged to be married? Maybe there's a cultural thing going on that I don't know about.

How will you have 100 guests and keep the cost below $10k in SoCal? I hope you can make it work.
    Congratulations on the engagement.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I was thinking that too wasn't going there. Maybe I just did.
    bellwilliam likes this.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    97 times

I knew a guy who always bought toys and fancy stuff even if he knew he couldn't pay for them. The thought of losing his toys and the pressing bills motivated him more to make more money than anything else could. He's now a legit millionaire. Interesting perspective if you like to be entrepreneurial..
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    Maybe maybe not. If she likes cars and track events and stuff and "cares", it might just be an observation/piss taking.

If she secretly hates the track, then it might have been a legit inferiority claim.

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    I knew a guy who always bought toys and fancy stuff even if he knew he couldn't pay for them. The thought of losing his toys and the pressing bills motivated him more to make more money than anything else could. He's now a legit millionaire. Interesting perspective if you like to be entrepreneurial..
    holy crap. Did this thread suddenly end up in the "****ty advice" subforum of trackHQ?
    pucsicsal likes this.

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    holy crap. Did this thread suddenly end up in the "****ty advice" subforum of trackHQ?
    We should make a piss-off-robburgoono thread. I think my post is a good start
    bawareca likes this.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    1882 times

True fairy tale:

Once upon a time, a guy asked a beautiful girl ‘Will you marry me?
    ‘ The girl said, ‘NO!’
    And the guy lived happily ever after and drove race cars and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank Bloody Mary and Captain Morgan and coke and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever he wanted.

The end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast