Kam
    Liked
    87 times

$3.59/ga for 87.
    $3.89/ga for 91.
    4.6lbs / whp -- 4lbs / bhp

Liked
    97 times

At least there will be less traffic.. I know the last time when gas prices went above $5 in socal, my commute went down from 1 hour to around 35-40 minutes. I'll gladly take that for a few bucks. My time is much more valuable.

Liked
    2282 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    At least there will be less traffic.. I know the last time when gas prices went above $5 in socal, my commute went down from 1 hour to around 35-40 minutes. I'll gladly take that for a few bucks. My time is much more valuable.
    are you sure that wasn't summer. where school is out...
    my company drivers goes from Pomona to Burbank and Santa Monica every day. so we know traffic pattern pretty well...
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    are you sure that wasn't summer. where school is out...
    my company drivers goes from Pomona to Burbank and Santa Monica every day. so we know traffic pattern pretty well...
    Good point, it was indeed summer. But it was the only one where I experienced that drop in traffic. I recall it clearly. And I know that it didn't happen any other summer before or after that (BTW the commute is from Corona to Irvine via 91 and 241 toll, and back. I think traffic patterns are different around here than in greater LA area, more predictable. Not sure why though, they both suck.)

Liked
    1477 times

I don't see gas prices really reducing rush hour traffic in L.A. significantly until they hit $9/gal. That's about what they pay in Europe, Britian and Japan now, and not out of the question here in the next few years. In other cities with better public transit, driving will go down with much lower prices than in L.A.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    51 times

Default All I can say is: E85!

All I can say is: E85!

I filled up in brentwood @$3.85 super was $4.60

Just my way of "sticking it to the man!!!!"

Cranked up my aftermarket EFI system %30 to compensate, E85 needs to run at a super rich 9.4:1 ratio instead of 14.7:1 for gasoline.
    E85 is about %20 cheaper than 91 right now, but I need %30 more fuel, so there's a %10 net loss, I'm hoping the price will not rise as much as gasoline will over the next 6 months, if 91oct reaches about $4.70 per gallon, then I'll break even!

Now for the fun stuff; exhaust smells like sterno, or better yet, it smells like an Indycar!!!
    It idles smoother, runs cooler, doesn't knock (E85 has an oct rating of 105+), and sounds different, power wise, it's hard to tell, I had a 200lb passenger and a full tank when doing full throttle runs.
    I'd say the top end felt softer, but I know I can run a ****load of advance with E85, I'm currently at 12 because anymore than that, and it would knock like a mofo (on 91oct gasoline), I even ran it dog**** rich; 11.5:1 at full throttle and it would STILL knock!
    I have a full tank to experiment with to see what the best combo is, I might just run this full time and then run 100oct race gas at the track....

los03.jpg

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by TYP85 View Post
    All I can say is: E85!

I filled up in brentwood @$3.85 super was $4.60
    Help me with my math here. $3.85 is 81% the cost of $4.60.

You pump up your fuel injection by 30% to compensate for the lower BTU/energy rating of E85 so I will assume you are getting 30% lower miles per gallon.

30% lower fuel efficiency minus the 19% savings I think it might be fair to compute you are paying 11% more per mile for 105 octane E85.

Oli
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    51 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Help me with my math here. $3.85 is 81% the cost of $4.60.

You pump up your fuel injection by 30% to compensate for the lower BTU/energy rating of E85 so I will assume you are getting 30% lower miles per gallon.

30% lower fuel efficiency minus the 19% savings I think it might be fair to compute you are paying 11% more per mile for 105 octane E85.

Oli
    Yes, that is correct BUT two things; if you compare it to VP 100oct racing fuel in the valley, that's $7.00 per gallon, 91 oct is $4.50+, now another $.20 increase and it'll be the same relative cost to E85.
    There are huge advantages to running E85, my engine runs cooler, MUCH cleaner and will never knock, in fact, I checked the plugs today and can see that some of the carbon has been burned off from running alchohol!
    If you can take advantage of it; on hi comp. engines, you can run max advance producing more power and higher efficiency/better mileage.
    Last edited by TYP85; 03-01-2012 at 08:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3