+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bawareca
  • 1 Post By TYP85

Thread: Gas prices from Cali to Texas

Liked
    464 times

Default Gas prices from Cali to Texas

Just spent a week in Texas visiting family.

Keeping track of gas there and back. Driving my 05 Mustang in mostly stock trim. Tune, CAI, Underdrive pulleys and cat back exhaust. One thing the Stang lacks is fuel capacity. @16gal I was averaging 0nly 320 miles a tank.
    Worst MPG was 18mpg at the first part from Ventura to Needles. I think the Pearblossom Highway killed it. There was a lot of slow traffic and only 2 lane road. And I may have been a little over excited trying to get out of Cali.
    Best MPG was 25mpg @ 85+mph. This was coming home from Flagstaff. So it was down hill most the way.

Lowest price was 1.99 (although I did get a wonderful bonus from my Von gas rewards in NV. 1.00 off! So I only paid 1.55 for supreme in Flagstaff..... Happy dance! ) with an average of 2.09 over the whole trip.

Highest price and a nice Welcome back to Cali. 4.08 Supreme @ Barstow. I was empty and a little dingy from 2 days of driving. So I didn't look till I saw the price going over 50.00 and still going. F@&k me!
    It hurt even more when I saw the price at the next off ramp @ 1.00 less.

The fuel prices on the trip were welcomed. But what I enjoyed most were the fuel nozzle. If you have ever tried to fuel an early s197 mustang. You understand. Just getting the fuel in one of these things is work! The Cali EPA vapor recovery system sucks. Fighting to get the proper angle. Clicking off at every chance the wind changes, the way you look at it, or if a fly buzzes by. But the non-Cali nozzle I could turn on and walk away. Do the windows, check the oil, scratch my butt or what ever.
    Last edited by Gian; 02-18-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    704 times

I always try to fill up before crossing back into CA. I consistently get better mileage from gas outside of CA.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    237 times

I have the same issue refueling my 2006 Mustang GT. It's all about the angle! :-)

Regarding California gas, is it any different than other states who also have 10% ethanol gasoline? A tech at my local motorcycle shop swears Cali gas is worse than other surrounding states and says much of his work these days is getting motorcycles with stale gas (2-3 months old) running again after the bad gas gums up the carb.

Liked
    1477 times

Gas prices have gone up about 50 cents/gal. in California, just in the last 2 weeks.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    464 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    I have the same issue refueling my 2006 Mustang GT. It's all about the angle! :-)

Regarding California gas, is it any different than other states who also have 10% ethanol gasoline? A tech at my local motorcycle shop swears Cali gas is worse than other surrounding states and says much of his work these days is getting motorcycles with stale gas (2-3 months old) running again after the bad gas gums up the carb.
    Yes, Supreme is 93 octane. The car seemed to start better and run a little smoother.

But I think I remember that when the fuel prices started jumping a few years back. People were stockpiling fuel. So as a "safety" issue, to keep the fire hazards down from storing in (not always "approved) containers in the garage, They made it so it will go bad faster. 2or 3 months compared to 6 to 8 months.
    Not sure if that was just I Cali or not.

I have also heard that by adding just a little "new" fuel. That helps to keep it from turning bad.
    Last edited by Gian; 02-18-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Liked
    704 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post

In the past I would consistently get much better mileage from NV and AZ gas than CA. I don't drive out of state as often as I used to and when I have recently I haven't seen the difference but I've also been driving an SUV a HEMI instead of a 4 cylinder. Our '03 Honda Accord jumped from about 32 mpg highway up to 37 mpg on a trip home from Phoenix. I made it on one tank the whole way back to Santa Barbara. I'd see similar results driving home from Vegas to LA. Gas might have changed in those other states since then.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    464 times

Oh and just FYI. I only had 2 close calls with state troopers. Both were in New Mexico coming in and going out to the AZ border.
    Coming in. They just pulled up behind and looked at me.
    Going out, I got pulled over by a undercover Tahoe. He was very nice and let me go with a warning for not using my blinker when changing lanes.

I also found that driving in Texas is more of a sport. They do not like getting passed. But are very gracious when you need to pull out of a parking lot or something.
    Most everyone stays in the slow lane unless they are passing and pull to the next lane if here is a car/truck stopped on the ide of he road.

Liked
    641 times

The ethanol in the gas has 3 months pot life, but it is hygroscopic and attracts water and vapor all the time. I use Startron stabilizer in my boat and after sitting for a 5-6 months the gas inside smells just like new.

Liked
    1477 times

The 997 I bought from William did not start out life in California. It was originally a South Carolina car. There is a sticker inside the fuel filler cover that says the car requires at least 93 octane. Since it got to California, we have been putting California 91 pizzwater in it. I wonder if that does any damage?
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    641 times

the low octane wont cause any damage to a modern car, the worst effect may be a bit reduced power. The water that is collected by the ethanol is a bad thing. It is not recommended to leave your tank under 1/4 full, that is where the water collects. If you remember a few years ago all BMW turbo engines high pressure fuel pumps started to fail. That was in N.America only, mostly because of the water getting in contact with the very precise internals of the pumps.
    MikeColangelo likes this.

Liked
    51 times

From my understanding, ethanol is only added in the winter (E10) as an "oxygenate" (oil co. have make special "blends" only for Cali. big improvement in emissions), back in the day they used to use MTBE wich is nasty as hell! E10 will reduce mileage because of the ethanol content.
    It does attract water and does not do well sitting in carburetor float bowls for a long time, fuel stabilizers seem to be the answer.
    As far as corrosion, "methanol" is really corrosive and is the nasty brother to ethanol, you can make TONS of power on "meth", ask the dragster and circle track guys.
    Ethanol's big problem is absorbing water in humid climates and causing fuel system parts to corrode or, the water separating (phase separation) in the tank.

I've been running E85 in my 31 year old Audi for 4 years, I have a standalone EFI/ignition system; E85 likes tons of dwell and massive spark advance, I'm running 40 advance from 3000rpm to redline!
    E85 burns super clean, I've actually seen the deposits on my plugs from gas burn off and look cleaner, the oil doesn't get dirty (!), it takes along time for it to change color and get dark.
    I've been careful and monitored the condition of my tank (see second pic) and fuel lines for any sign of corrosion, so far so good.
    As a precaution, if my car is going to sit for a long period of time in the winter, I'll switch to gasoline.
    It works great on hi comp engines w/o a knock sensor, and can make huge power in turbo engines. The best part is the smell, coming out of the tailpipe, it smells like a college dorm room on Sunday morning (lots of spilled alcohol!).

1007141910.jpg

0604142223.jpg
    Last edited by TYP85; 02-18-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    agershon likes this.

+ Reply to Thread