+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: The future of being a "car guy"

Liked
    19 times

Continental, a major supplier for automakers around the world, has come out with a bold prediction: internal-combustion engine development by German automakers will essentially end by the year 2025.

Story at: New engine development at German makers to end by 2025, says supplier

Liked
    53 times

MAZDA TO LAUNCH COMPRESSION-IGNITION GAS ENGINE BY 2019
    Mazda to Launch Compression-Ignition Gas Engine by 2019 - Motor Trend

"The engine features a proprietary combustion method that Mazda calls Spark Controlled Compression Ignition, which it says solves the two issues that originally kept it from getting commercialized: maximizing the zone where compression ignition can happen and making the transition between compression and spark ignition as seamless as possible, combining the advantages of gas and diesel engines to improve fuel economy and performance. In this way, Skyactiv-X differs from Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) designs, which don’t use spark plugs. In addition to compression ignition, Mazda also adds a supercharger to improve fuel economy and engine response, and increase torque between 10-30 percent over the current Skyactiv-G engines found in current Mazda vehicles. Compression ignition also enables a super lean burn, improving the Skyactiv-X engine’s efficiency by 20-30 percent over the current Skyactiv-G powertrains and 35-45 percent better than the MZR units from 2008."

Liked
    708 times

^^Interesting that it says they're adding superchargers to improve fuel economy. I would think superchargers would add power while decreasing fuel economy compared to the same engine sans SC.

Has anyone ever heard of a supercharged diesel in a production vehicle? Seems like a turbo would make more sense for compression ignition but what do I know?
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

Quote Originally Posted by Red_5 View Post
    ^^Interesting that it says they're adding superchargers to improve fuel economy. I would think superchargers would add power while decreasing fuel economy compared to the same engine sans SC.
    Yes, but they don't use the same engine. The idea is to use a smaller displacement engine that has similar performance as a larger one, but with better economy.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    708 times

Quote Originally Posted by ETK View Post
    Yes, but they don't use the same engine. The idea is to use a smaller displacement engine that has similar performance as a larger one, but with better economy.
    That's why I asked the question, the wording made it seem like the SC would improve fuel economy. Smaller displacement with FI is really what will increase fuel economy - at least for EPA testing.

Liked
    708 times

This article says Mazda will use a turbo and doesn't mention a supercharger at all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...SpmR5ElSETfpzA

Mazda dubbed its new compression-ignition technology Skyactiv-X. The new engine technology pairs a turbocharger with a piston-compressed fuel-air mixture in a proprietary process that would allow combustion from compression alone, like in a diesel engine. It would eliminate the need for spark plugs and make the engine more efficient. Mazda already has technology in its cars that boosts the compression ratio in cylinders to get more power for the same amount of gas as compared to ordinary engines.
    Last edited by Red_5; 08-08-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Liked
    53 times

Journalists

It's indeed supercharging, according to Mazda PR:
    https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/pre...oom-zoom-2030/

Liked
    660 times

So there are 2 separate discussions, not necessarily related-electric cars and autonomous cars. IMHO the electric cars have their place in today's life, but it will take a long time to make the ICE cars obsolete. Heck, I as a die hard ICE fan bought an i3 that me and the wife are very happy with it. We have a few other ICE cars, so the i3 gets used in the city only. With ~80 miles range it suits perfectly our daily needs. In 2000 miles I have used less than a gallon of gas with the range extender. Electric buses for the public transportation and short range local trucks is also a great idea that hopefully will be soon reality. But I would not get an EV for the longer trips, not anytime soon.
    The autonomous vehicles, i dont there will be substantial fleet anytime soon. Car and Driver supports my thoughts- the biggest problem will be the mix of autonomous and human driven cars on the road. If there are only AV, that would be an easy fix.
    My prediction is that our generation, now in our 40s and 50s, will see some substantial changes, but nothing revolutionary. I hope I will be able to drive until I am alive, and do some track days too.
    And another quote from the guy, Bob Lutz:

"C/D: Because automakers eat so much capital, will we eventually see only four or five remaining?
    BL: It’s likely. With autonomous cars, you’re gonna see more consolidation. Once we have transport modules, you order off the phone and brands won’t matter anymore. When brands don’t matter, the auto industry ends. It’s got another 20 years."

Bob Lutz: What I'd Do Differently – Interview – Car and Driver
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2320 times

Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    Heck, I as a die hard ICE fan bought an i3 that me and the wife are very happy with it. We have a few other ICE cars, so the i3 gets used in the city only. With ~80 miles range it suits perfectly our daily needs. In 2000 miles I have used less than a gallon of gas with the range extender.
    you guys are all sell out !!! I bet more than 1/2 of Trackhq regulars have an EV or a Hybrid at home......
    bawareca likes this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2216 times

Interestingly enough I wrote this blog last week on a similar topic. I am curious about your thoughts on my thoughts and those of Scott Nyquist - When will the self-driving car technology be arriving for you?
    bellwilliam likes this.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    you guys are all sell out !!! I bet more than 1/2 of Trackhq regulars have an EV or a Hybrid at home......
    Look who's talking
    This electric car ticks all the boxes for me, and does fine what it has been made for - city driving. There are no trade-offs in my case, only advantages.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    1541 times

In the 1st world my various ICE cars give me everything I have come to expect. An 80 mile EV range or a hybrid with 2 linked systems (twice the stuff to fail) is a deal breaker for me. I would be happy to own or race an EV when it can take me 400 miles and recharge in 10 mins. I thank all you early adopters who will convince yourselves the pain is worth it so one day in the future I get what I want painlessly.
    bellwilliam and ucfbrett like this.

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    In the 1st world my various ICE cars give me everything I have come to expect. An 80 mile EV range or a hybrid with 2 linked systems (twice the stuff to fail) is a deal breaker for me. I would be happy to own or race an EV when it can take me 400 miles and recharge in 10 mins. I thank all you early adopters who will convince yourselves the pain is worth it so one day in the future I get what I want painlessly.
    Well, why would one carry 400lbs extra if he only needs 100 or so miles per day? Would you install 100 gallon tank in your car if you drive it twice per year for a 2000 mile trip?
    bellwilliam, Red_5 and Blackbird like this.

Liked
    558 times

Right now we're seeing some whiplash in Europe from diesels. Particulate exhaust issues were tossed aside for years, looking at CO2 and total consumption... governments pushed diesels to the point half the cars in Europe are diesels... and now you look at daytime in places like Paris at it's getting as bad as Beijing and Shanghai with a haze.

One thing I can say about CARB is that the San Fernando Valley of today is so much better than the Valley of the 70s and 80s, despite more cars on the road.

Steve
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.

Liked
    1541 times

Well, why would one carry 400lbs extra if he only needs 100 or so miles per day? Would you install 100 gallon tank in your car if you drive it twice per year for a 2000 mile trip?
    I don't want 100gallon tank. I only want what I already have a 30 hallon tank and 400 to 500 mile range. Im not being sarcastic I really thank you early adopters.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    660 times

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    I don't want 100gallon tank. I only want what I already have a 30 hallon tank and 400 to 500 mile range. Im not being sarcastic I really thank you early adopters.
    Well I have 22 gallon tank and I do 500 miles single and 300+ when towing the open trailer. Why would I drive this "monster" on a short distances, stop and go traffic and in tight spaces I go for my daily 30-80 miles commute? Because racecar Why not get a small, nimble car that I charge every night for $0.02 per Kwh, or $0.40 for 80 miles with access to the pool lane?
    IMHO the EVs are not ready yet to be a person or family's sole transportation device, but in the most multi-car families they have a perfect place. I would not buy any model Tesla because they will not suit my needs, but it works perfectly fine for many.
    bellwilliam likes this.

Liked
    2320 times

I will explain to you oil huggers about range: say you have a 240 miles Tesla S. think about it, when was the last time you traveled more than 200 miles in a day that's NOT an out of town trip ? Tesla S will cover 99-100% of your in town need.

AND if you ever take a trip out of town. There are Tesla Superchargers that you charge under 20 minutes (you only need enough to take you to the next supercharger, so it is often a 10 minute thing) and for FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ** this is the reason I don't like Bolt vs. Tesla 3. Bolt doe NOT have supercharger, so it can't be the only car in the family. as you can't take a Bolt on a long trip, so it is a city car only. Tesla 3 can do both **

in reality, many of my ICE cars, Evo 9, Mini Cooper S, GT350, all have range of under 250 miles in the city..............., city is where EV excels.

AND because I always get question: "what happens if there is traffic and you have 100 miles range to cover 100 miles", EV gets MUCH better "mpg" in traffic. traffic is a good thing in an EV.
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 08-09-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    bawareca, Johns_EvoIXSE and ETK like this.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    76 times

FWIW, I loved my 500e. Such a good commuter car, with car pool stickers. Thank you tax payers. It was "almost" a free car. The lease payment and added monthly electricity bill was very close to what I spent on gas commuting to work. The 2500 I put down I got back from the state. Basically just had to cover insurance for an additional car. Very fun car to drive in the city, with good weight distribution (battery in the back, and down low) and instant torque. Zipping around traffic and roads was seamless. Very tossable. Range is also awesome in traffic.
    Last edited by Johns_EvoIXSE; 08-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.
    1:46.3X @ BRP CW13 - 11/12/15 (400 whp, TD )
    1:26.82 @ WSIR - 10/12/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:22.7X @ SOW CW - 7/31/14 (400whp, NT01)
    1:21.6X @ SOW CCW - 7/30/14 (400whp, Nt01)
    2:00.01 @ CVR CW - 9/28/13 (350whp, RS3)
    1:48.22 @ ACS - 11/23/13 (400whp, RS3)

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
    I will explain to you oil huggers about range: say you have a 240 miles Tesla S. think about it, when was the last time you traveled more than 200 miles in a day that's NOT an out of town trip ? Tesla S will cover 99-100% of your in town need.
    Also, what is usually overlooked and I can't figure out why: what about the benefit of never having to visit a gas station or a charger for any of those 99% of trips? I don't have an ev yet (on the list for Model 3 though), but it seems like the ability to charge at home saves many many hours of time and inconvenience . . .
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    1541 times

Why would I drive this "monster" on a short distances, stop and go traffic and in tight spaces .
    Well there are what 30 cars I could buy right now. There are just different strokes for different folks. And, I'm not practical. I race. There is zero sanity in that extremely wasteful hobby. I like my big huge diesel monster. I like being by a home depot and picking up a sheet of plywood. I like my friend's sudden call and I'm off to simi valley. I like that my 9ft flyrods can fit inside my truck without dissasembly. I like the big giant Ram diesel seats and hurricane force A/C system. I like not thinking about having 20 miles left on my charge and how far is it to UCLA? If the EV fits your life great! It just does not fit into mine in it's current form and I have a 3 car garage with full service lift, my racecar fits in there on it's trailer and a weekend car lives next to that. Our 3 daily drivers fit on the driveway and the rest of the garages has 2 welders, plasma cutter, manual mill, manual lathe, tube bender, tire balancer, tire changer, cherry picker, tool chest, scale box, 5 sets of wheels, and a bunch of other stuff. I have zero room for a commuter car which I don't need anyway being less than 10 miles from work I should really get off my fat a$$ and ride my bike!
    Olitho and Johns_EvoIXSE like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast