+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frustrating Alignment issues!

Liked
    5 times

Default Frustrating Alignment issues!

I put in a Meagan bump steer kit and since My Khumo MX,s have only lasted 2000 miles on the rear and the car is down right scary to drive. Changing lanes going going over the little lane pucks will throw the back end out. The car is absolutely underivable in the rain! I put in a Bump steer kit to help with the toe changes i felt during trail braking on the track and aligned to factory specs. since then its been absolutely terrible to drive. I have taken it to Big O to get aligned twice in 2000 miles and they say the cant get it below .5 degrees total to in the rear and this is why my tires are wearing so quickly.
    The car is on 1.5 drop springs stock shocks. Factory spec alignment.
    Seemed pretty straight forward but maybe I installed the bump steer kit wrong?

Has Anyone else had these problems or know whats going on with this thing?

Post-College Racing Sloth hikickracing's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

this is what i read about alignment bolts

screw the torque specs, and take a breaker bar and torque it down really hard because it will go off specs otherwise.. this is for big, fat miata camber bolts.

..use your judgment following this advice
    Aztec Racing
    fsae.sdsu.edu

www.hikickracing.com

Liked
    142 times

Toe links or roll center adjusters in the rear?
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    2 times

I would guess you bump steered the car in-correctly especially since you stated it started after you installed the bump steer kit..

The quickest way to see if your bump steer is out of whack is to ; jack the rear of the car up, as you start to raise pay attention to the rear tire to see if it goes toe-in or toe-out, raise the car until the rear tire is off the ground. On my mustang cobra irs the bump steer is less 1/8" from 2" bump to 2" droop.

Another possibility could be a worn rear wheel bearing. In 6 years i've replaced the drivers side wheel bearing 4 times compared to the passengers side 1 time.

Liked
    2165 times

Quote Originally Posted by racebronco2 View Post
    Another possibility could be a worn rear wheel bearing. In 6 years i've replaced the drivers side wheel bearing 4 times compared to the passengers side 1 time.

Dang! You are heavier than you look.

Liked
    5 times

I would guess you bump steered the car in-correctly especially since you stated it started after you installed the bump steer kit..

The quickest way to see if your bump steer is out of whack is to ; jack the rear of the car up, as you start to raise pay attention to the rear tire to see if it goes toe-in or toe-out, raise the car until the rear tire is off the ground. On my mustang cobra irs the bump steer is less 1/8" from 2" bump to 2" droop.

It toes in while lifting. If the toe bars are level wouldn't it toe in while lifting and compressing? They look level eyeballing it but who knows. If the wheel side of the bar is lower than the frame side i can see it toeing out under compression causing my side step. Maybe i need to do a better job of leveling it.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Dang! You are heavier than you look.
    Looks are deceiving.

Most of the track i run are run clockwise therefor the drivers side wheel bearing wear out faster. The fronts i only replaced twice.

Liked
    2282 times

Why aren't u asking in s2ki forum. These guys think IRS is a tax thing
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 06-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ayon View Post
    It toes in while lifting. If the toe bars are level wouldn't it toe in while lifting and compressing? They look level eyeballing it but who knows. If the wheel side of the bar is lower than the frame side i can see it toeing out under compression causing my side step. Maybe i need to do a better job of leveling it.
    If it toes- in while lifting then it might toe out on compression which would make the car unstable at higher speeds. The bump steer kit is supposed to take most of that out. Most bump steer settings are checked at 2" bump and 2" compression ( for mustangs, don't know about other brands).

Excessive camber would also cause the car to be unstable in the rain and when hitting those pucks on the freeway, it's called camber thrust. When one wheel loses traction the car will veer in the direction.

The shop that did your alignment, did you see the numbers on the screen for yourself. Even though your car is within specs doesn't mean that the stock spec's for your car is correct.
    Last edited by racebronco2; 06-04-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Liked
    5 times

If it toes- in while lifting then it might toe out on compression which would make the car unstable at higher speeds. The bump steer kit is supposed to take most of that out. Most bump steer settings are checked at 2" bump and 2" compression ( for mustangs, don't know about other brands).

Excessive camber would also cause the car to be unstable in the rain and when hitting those pucks on the freeway, it's called camber thrust. When one wheel loses traction the car will veer in the direction.

The shop that did your alignment, did you see the numbers on the screen for yourself. Even though your car is within specs doesn't mean that the stock spec's for your car is correct.
    After reading this entire article I think your right.
    http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...explained.html

From what i gathered in need to flip the shims on the wheel side of my bar to to bring the bar up into the center of the lateral arc travel.
    Thanks for jump starting my brain a bit

Liked
    15 times

Ayon, if you live in OC, why don't you just go to WestEnd Alignment and let Darin check it out!?
    He has installed Bump Steer Kits on my previous AP1 and numerous other S2000s.
    I'm sure he will take care of you =)
    momofoolio Racing - http://momofoolio.webs.com

2nd Gen momofoolio Racing Time Attack S2000 - 07 Laguna Blue

Now Full Time Drift Machine - 93 Silvia 240SX S13 KA24DE"T"

New Drift Project - 98 LS14

W2W Companion - 90 NA6 Miata

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Forever Missed: 04 G35, 04 Miata, 04 BMW 325ci, 02 S2000, 91 & 98 Nissan 240SX

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by momofoolio View Post
    Ayon, if you live in OC, why don't you just go to WestEnd Alignment and let Darin check it out!?
    He has installed Bump Steer Kits on my previous AP1 and numerous other S2000s.
    I'm sure he will take care of you =)
    I will be when I come back and start tracking the cars again, but i will be away from home for a year or so so I'm setting up all the cars with tire economy alignments for my wife.

Update: i was able to get rid of the bump steer by raising the control arm bar and have my toe pretty close to zero so the tires should last a bit longer.

After a spirited drive in the canyon with the toe taken out and the bar leveled i'm not to sure these cars need any toe in as long as the Bump steer kit is "properly" installed.

Liked
    15 times

I will be when I come back and start tracking the cars again, but i will be away from home for a year or so so I'm setting up all the cars with tire economy alignments for my wife.

Update: i was able to get rid of the bump steer by raising the control arm bar and have my toe pretty close to zero so the tires should last a bit longer.

After a spirited drive in the canyon with the toe taken out and the bar leveled i'm not to sure these cars need any toe in as long as the Bump steer kit is "properly" installed.
    ur absolutely right my man!
    i run 1/8 toe in and perhaps ill even try 1/16 when my skill level progresses a bit higher =p
    so where are u going away for a whole yr?
    we will miss u in so-cal =(

Special Thanks: WestEnd Alignment, Rising Star Motors, APR Performance, SportCar Motion, Pit Garage, eXtremeSpeed, PuddyModRacing, Berk Technology & Amsoil

Liked
    5 times

I'm in the navy and will be attending a school for a year and a half or so. If all goes well and i graduate i will be gone for much longer than a year.

Liked
    15 times

I'm in the navy and will be attending a school for a year and a half or so. If all goes well and i graduate i will be gone for much longer than a year.
    Going to Iraq!? LOL
    Then you can join those Arabs in sand driting =p

Liked
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by momofoolio View Post
    Going to Iraq!? LOL
    Then you can join those Arabs in sand drifting =p
    Ha, no not yet but i will definitely be getting my fair share of sand. I'm going back to B.U.D/S, class 286.

Liked
    142 times

Ha, no not yet but i will definitely be getting my fair share of sand. I'm going back to B.U.D/S, class 286.
    Wow! Best wishes on your training I have seen the videos of what they go through. Truly not for the faint of heart.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

+ Reply to Thread