+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By markn
  • 2 Post By Johnny_Se7en
  • 2 Post By ebruner

Thread: forget heel n toe, AUTO-BLiP automatically blips throttle on down shift !!

Liked
    2528 times

Default forget heel n toe, AUTO-BLiP automatically blips throttle on down shift !!

Auto-Blip Home

AUTO-BLiP automatically blips (opens) the throttle when downshifting gears on an automobile equipped with a manual transmission and a throttle-by-wire system or electronic throttle. This allows the driver to focus 100% on braking while simultaneusly downshifting gears.

AUTO-BLiP reduces mechanical wear and tear on manual transmissions and improves vehicle stability when downshifting gears.

Simply put, better brake control combined with optimum engine drive equals faster laptimes!

Last edited by bellwilliam; 05-17-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    2356 times

I think it would be hard for me to unlearn the muscle memory.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

I've driven a friend's 370Z track package with auto-blip around BRP.
    I heel-toe all the time, but wanted to see how this works so I let it do its thing and you know what?
    It actually works pretty damn well!

Liked
    2528 times

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I've driven a friend's 370Z track package with auto-blip around BRP.
    I heel-toe all the time, but wanted to see how this works so I let it do its thing and you know what?
    It actually works pretty damn well!
    how does it work actually ?

say T3 ACS. say you go from 5th to 3rd.

do you left foot push in the clutch, right foot on the brake, throw gear from 5th to 4th, and it blips, then again 4th to 3rd ? or can you go from 5th to 3rd ?

what happen if you throw into a gear too low (say 2nd, which will exceed redline) ?

what happens if you clutched in a little too long, say 5th to 3rd, and don't let clutch out till you are almost at apex, does it blips right after you put gear into 3rd ? or does it wait till you let the clutch out ? because there will be a rpm differetial
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    64 times

I'd rather drive an auto than having the computer auto blip with a MT.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif Blackbird's Avatar
    Liked
    2085 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post

do you left foot push in the clutch, right foot on the brake, throw gear from 5th to 4th, and it blips, then again 4th to 3rd ? or can you go from 5th to 3rd ?

what happen if you throw into a gear too low (say 2nd, which will exceed redline) ?

what happens if you clutched in a little too long, say 5th to 3rd, and don't let clutch out till you are almost at apex, does it blips right after you put gear into 3rd ? or does it wait till you let the clutch out ? because there will be a rpm differetial
    I don't know.
    I just did a few laps in the car driving at 8/10s pace, didn't try to break records or test the system's limits...

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif
    Liked
    401 times

I really enjoy the added challenge of manual shifting (not paddle) and the need to heel and toe when I drive. I know it is faster (probably) to let a computer figure it all out and do the work for me but it will be a sad day when I need to give up the satisfaction of a well executed up or down shift. Sometimes there is more to this game than laptime. OMG did I just say that?
    ucfbrett likes this.
    AiM Data and Video systems, Suspension Setup, Race car builds, support, and rentals. At your beck and call.

Mark Nichols
    Iron Canyon Motorsports
    http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Liked
    89 times

Quote Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post

Good question... it has to be hooked up to the braking system in some way? that way it knows you're downshifting and not upshifting.. and it would have to have a set of contacts on the shifter itself so it knows you're moving the lever I suppose

edit: looked at the manual.. sensors on the brake and clutch pedal, tapped into the throttle positioned system... makes sense
    Last edited by KJSCV; 05-17-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Liked
    145 times

Forgive me THQ, I've gone over to the dark side, got a 135i with DCT.
    bellwilliam and bawareca like this.
    If nothing happens and there is no one around why did it not happen?

Liked
    380 times

I got to drive a new Porsche that does it. It's pretty easy to get used to. But it's not like it's any kind of great nuisance to simply do it.

Car commercial in 3... 2... 1...

Liked
    763 times

Where did you grow up Jack? The way you said "car" leads me to think you aren't a native Angelino.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    481 times

I've driven a M3 with it. At first it surprised me. Then, being the control freak I am, it pissed me off. But I did learn to live with it and let it do it's thing. I was ok. But the control freak is one of my more dominant traits. So, no.
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

Liked
    138 times

Like Moti, the only car with this system that I've driven was a 370z. I was quite frankly too busy being not enjoying driving that car to fully take notice of the autoblip downshift system and if it detracted from the experience. I always rev match myself when driving an MT so it felt a touch weird, but it wasn't like having your underwear on backwards or anything.

Related/Un-related.... My wife has always driven a MT car. We recently got her a 135is with the DCT and I have to say, it's a really awesome transmission for the street. Between the sport mode and the auto/manual mode it's nice to have a car that's aggro when you want it to be and windows down, sunroof open with coffee in hand when you don't. I wouldn't want it in my track car, but I mean, I drive a miata so take that with a grain of salt. But for an occasional spirited drive car and a daily... it's a fantastic car/transmission to have around. YMMV

I think my wife is sold on the DCT transmission for her daily driver from here on out... which is fine by me. I've been scheming my way into something with a PDK for years, this was just the gateway drug.
    Johnny_Se7en and Blackbird like this.

+ Reply to Thread