+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SteveLevin

Thread: Ford V6 EcoBoost - How Stout are They?

Liked
    887 times

Default Ford V6 EcoBoost - How Stout are They?

Just one data point, but it does seem encouraging:

Here's How A Ford F-150 EcoBoost Held Up After 200,000 Miles

Liked
    1720 times

There is a joint Ford/Gm 10 speed autobox to be used in the corvette and F150 coming for the 2018 model year. Why not the mustang 1st is beyond me. Anyway the 10 speed is supposed to shift faster than the porsche pdk without all the headaches of those types of F1, PDK, DCT, CVT trannies. The 10 speed is supposed to be hot stuff.

Liked
    2356 times

There's a guy in NASA Mid-Atlantic that runs an Ecoboost in American Iron.

Liked
    609 times

When we lived in Wyoming we saw a lot of EcoBoost trucks being used as, well, trucks. And with an altitude of over 6000', I suspect the turbos are working most of the time(and the cooling systems aren't as efficient). No one seemed to have issues.

The downside was, there was precious little Eco; my boss' EcoBoost got the same mileage (within the margin of error) as my 5.3 Chevy.

Steve

Liked
    1720 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
    When we lived in Wyoming we saw a lot of EcoBoost trucks being used as, well, trucks. And with an altitude of over 6000', I suspect the turbos are working most of the time(and the cooling systems aren't as efficient). No one seemed to have issues.

The downside was, there was precious little Eco; my boss' EcoBoost got the same mileage (within the margin of error) as my 5.3 Chevy.

Steve

But Eboost has higher tow can payload capacity.

Liked
    609 times

The Marlboro Man was from Riverton, just a couple of hours from Cheyenne... I don't think they use manuals for anything but emergency kindling in Wyoming.

Liked
    2356 times

Displacement has become somewhat irrelevant to fuel mileage. The horsepower an engine can produce vis a vis duty cycle over time and the BTU of energy contained in a gallon of gasoline are what determine fuel economy. The Ecoboost makes roughly the same power as the 5.3, which at 125,000 BTU per gallon will net you largely similar mileage depending on duty cycle.

I would argue the V8 is the better bet because of its torque at lower rpm, which is better for fuel economy.

Liked
    765 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post

I would argue the V8 is the better bet because of its torque at lower rpm, which is better for fuel economy.
    The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost torque is rated at 420 ft lbs at 2500rpms which is knocking on the doors of similar sized turbo diesels. I would argue that the GM 6.2 is a better engine to compare to the Ecoboost. Yes the 6.2 has more hp and torque but the Ecoboost peak torque is at lower RPMs. I haven't been able to find a dyno graph for the Gam 6.2 to see how much power and torque it makes at various RPMs.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2356 times

Another way to put it is that the longer your engine has to spend at or near peak power to make the truck go, pull the trailer, etc., the worse the fuel economy will be.

An engine that creates peak horsepower up high, say 6,000 rpm with an early, broad and flat torque curve will get better mileage than one with "peaky" curves for horsepower and torque. The peaky engine would have to be spooled up to higher rpm with greater frequency to pull a load.

Liked
    609 times

Don't get me wrong, I think the EcoBoost is a good engine. Neither it nor the 5.3 would keep me from buying the truck I liked more. (Nominally, I am a Ford man, but oh my God...Sync? It's like the car infotainment system right out of The Onion)

My general feeling is that if you are looking at capacities, you're not buying enough truck. That doesn't mean we didn't do what would be considered crazy back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth (I've mentioned some of the old Datsun 1300 stories),but these days that kind of stuff seems to be frowned upon more.

And for a Raptor, I might live with Sync...

Steve
    Red_5 and bawareca like this.

+ Reply to Thread