Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ucfbrett
  • 1 Post By SteveLevin

Thread: focus rs will stop production

Liked
    14 times

Default focus rs will stop production

This may be the final Ford Focus RS until 2024 - motoring.com.au

Smy confirmed that production of the Focus RS for Australia would end next February or March, meaning that final shipments will arrive here around mid-2018.

“It will be the end of Focus RS for us by around the middle of next year,” he said.

After that, Ford hyper-hatch fans will have to wait for the Blue Oval to produce a new range-topping RS version of its next-generation Focus, which isn’t due to appear until late 2018 at the earliest and more likely 2019.

Given the current (third-generation) Focus was released in 2011 but the existing Focus RS wasn’t rolled out for another five years in 2016, it could be 2024 before we see another Focus RS.
    -------------
    I'm wondering why manufacturers don't love to make "bargain sports car".
    I love all kinds of bargain sports cars. They really represent the true meaning of grassroot motorsports: track days, Autox....

They might not be as perfect as some entry level super cars but they are fun, fast and affordable.
    VA(15) STI/FRS

Liked
    2214 times

I read an opinion piece on how the dealers are the ones that screwed it up by marking up the RS by $10,000 and upward of $20,000, which puts them in a price range with other cars that offer similar performance, but more luxury. BMWs, Benzes, etc.

They ended up sitting on dealer lots awhile.

Liked
    531 times

I wonder how much the lack of heritage hurts the Focus as well. Certainly in the US, the Focus has always been primarily like Corollas -- reliable grocery getters.

Over the years, (and even this wore out over years) I suspect a lot of people buying Blue-with-Gold Subie's or Bright Red Evo's were thinking about those spectacular WRC images you would see on TV.
    (and yes, I know Ford rallied the Focus a bit...but come on. We all know it wasn't as cool as the Subaru)

Or, say for the new Mini, you see the old Paddy Hopkirk machines, or even the ones Billy would be passing on the track. But they were racing!

Another car that has suffered the same fate in the US has been the Civic Si. Yes, I know, BTCC awesomeness, etc. And even in racing with those Minis, yes.

But Still...when you think Civic, most people think "19 year old, big stereo, lowered so far it drags on the ground."

And the re-emergence of the Mustang and Camaro as truly awe inspiring cars hasn't helped, either. I'll freely admit that I'd rather have an SS Camaro over a bad-arse Focus regardless of numbers.

If numbers were that important, everyone would follow my grandfather's thoughts on cars -- "a Chevy gets me there just as quick as a Cadillac."
    (admittedly, for my grandmother, he got her whatever she wanted. But his last car bought in 1976 was a Datsun B210 that didn't even have air conditioning -- probably the only Datsun in the Barrington Tower parking lot)

Steve
    jqsti2015 likes this.

Liked
    220 times

It didn't help that the Focus RS suffered from overheating problems at the track that, to my knowledge, never got fixed by Ford. It's a shame as it's a cool car.

Liked
    220 times

Quote Originally Posted by ucfbrett View Post
    I read an opinion piece on how the dealers are the ones that screwed it up by marking up the RS by $10,000 and upward of $20,000, which puts them in a price range with other cars that offer similar performance, but more luxury. BMWs, Benzes, etc.

They ended up sitting on dealer lots awhile.
    I looked at one this past February at the Ford dealership in Lancaster. It had a $5K mark-up and the salesman said it was non-negotiable.

This past Saturday I dropped by the same dealership to get a part for my Mustang and noticed the same exact car still there. I didn't bother to ask if they still wanted the markup.

+ Reply to Thread