+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: First Privately Owned 2015 Corvette Z06 Dyno Numbers Are Surprisingly High - See more

Liked
    854 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe Money View Post
    Who do you think dyno'd my > factory figure GS430?

Attachment 8189

Wow! Very surprising variation.

Liked
    188 times

Yeah, though usually it only becomes an issue when folks start bench racing.
    I remember two popular Mini tuners in the LA/OC area used to get into heated discussions regarding their cars.

Funny thing... the guy who always had "higher" numbers would refuse to take the cars to a simple 1/4 mile track.
    Always had the excuses as to why that had more variations in it than what the dynos could report.

I never understood why the shop with the lower reporting dyno didn't sneak their car over to the other place... same day/etc. etc.

Guess they liked to talk more and act less?

fe4
    Liked
    29 times

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Caboose View Post
    "Horsepower is simply an extrapolation of torque applied over time.
    I hear the concept of "time" is really important in racing. "Laptime", "ET", etc. I can put my bike in first gear and use it to pull a car down a quarter mile drag strip...but it might take awhile.

That last paragraph is pretty dumb, although typical for an automotive aftermarket parts company. The best way of "trying to get a sense for real usable power" of a motor is to look at its power curve.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    133 times

Quote Originally Posted by schmoe money View Post
    yeah, though usually it only becomes an issue when folks start bench racing.
    I remember two popular mini tuners in the la/oc area used to get into heated discussions regarding their cars.

Funny thing... The guy who always had "higher" numbers would refuse to take the cars to a simple 1/4 mile track.
    Always had the excuses as to why that had more variations in it than what the dynos could report.

I never understood why the shop with the lower reporting dyno didn't sneak their car over to the other place... Same day/etc. Etc.

Guess they liked to talk more and act less?
    jb @ rmw?

Liked
    188 times

Quote Originally Posted by ebruner View Post
    jb @ rmw?
    Absolutely.

Liked
    50 times

The corvetteforum has been hell to navigate through because of these HP wars. Between the straight line warriors and constant spam of vendors trying to sell you chrome bits, it's a chore to try and read some real info on the car.

Still that's a crazy amount of power. I just got C6Z dyno'd yesterday (first time ever I've dyno'd a car!) and it made 450hp and 431tq. For me, that's way too much already. I don't know what these people are planning to do with 600+ after turning. Some vendor on there is already getting 660/660 after a mild tune. That's insane!

My idea C7 would still be the one I posted about earlier. A hardtop with 450/450 to 500/500 NA motor, 2900 - 3000lbs with good areo, brakes and suspension. I'd put a deposit down today.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2398 times

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post
    The corvetteforum has been hell to navigate through because of these HP wars. Between the straight line warriors and constant spam of vendors trying to sell you chrome bits, it's a chore to try and read some real info on the car.

Still that's a crazy amount of power. I just got C6Z dyno'd yesterday (first time ever I've dyno'd a car!) and it made 450hp and 431tq. For me, that's way too much already. I don't know what these people are planning to do with 600+ after turning. Some vendor on there is already getting 660/660 after a mild tune. That's insane!

My idea C7 would still be the one I posted about earlier. A hardtop with 450/450 to 500/500 NA motor, 2900 - 3000lbs with good areo, brakes and suspension. I'd put a deposit down today.
    I hear you. My C6Z made 435whp on Hennessey's Dynojet and is 3050 on my scales with half tank.. Plenty. I wouldn't mind benefiting by the C7's better interior, aero, suspension. I just don't want to give up the "flickability" of my current car. Hiding the weight by adding another 200whp the car doesn't need on track is dumb. Like Mike said of his ZR-1 at Thunderhill during an HPDE, the damn things are already too fast to be enjoyed at 9/10ths give the OEM saefty equipment. That's why the idea of a car that would have an OEM roll bar option and one piece seats like Porsche GT3 is so appealing to me. It's one thing to be willing to write off a $90k car by going off T9 at WSIR. It's another thing entirely to be willing to risk rolling it at 110mph. In my car, no way. I back off and play at 8-9/10ths depending on the exposure at that particular corner.

It's the whole supercar mentality driving it. The guys on this forum are drivers, 99.5th percentile who want more safety, better cooling and brakes. We rarely pay sticker. The rest of the world, will happily pay $10-20k over sticker and never get the car above 1g or 130mph and they wanted their heated seats.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2