+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally Switching from BlackBerry to iPhone

Liked
    1477 times

Default Finally Switching from BlackBerry to iPhone

Today's BlackBerry outage is not what really pushed me over the edge. I have had a BlackBerry for almost 10 years now, since not long after they first came out. I have been through 5 or 6 different BlackBerrys in that time. I liked the last one, the Bold, but I had it on a 2-year contract with AT&T. The phone itself only had a 1-year warranty. Guess what, it broke (screen displays only bright white at all times) after 14 months. They really know how long to make that warranty. So I had to go back to my old BlackBerry Pearl, which must be the worst smart phone of all time. I always hated it, but I don't want to buy a new phone when I qualify for a free upgrade in less than 2 months.

I have admired all the many apps that are available for the iPhone, and have decided to make the switch. Truth is I am a PC/BlackBerry guy, and have never really understood Apple products. Macs seem so counter-intuitive to me. I suppose if you grow up with them they are great, but I grew up with PC. Never had an iPod or iPad. Hope I can figure the damned iPhone out eventually.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    708 times

Welcome to the Apple club. I've been mostly using Apple products for the last 20 years and PCs seem counter-intuitive to me.

With the latest iPhone, hopefully the phone works well again. I never had a 4, still have my 3Gs, but there was a bit of a debacle when the 4 came out and the phone sucked if you had your hand in the wrong place. The new iphone is supposed to have better phone electronics, let's hope because I'll probably get one.
    I'm on my second iPhone in 4 years, they've both held up well. The only reason I upgraded to my current phone is because my wife smashed her first one and we were at a time in our contracts to upgrade.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    2320 times

I never owned a Mac. Been in PC business for Over 20 years.
    Yet I own an iPhone and an iPad.
    I also on an Android phone. But use iPhone 90% of the time
    Supermiata S1, SuperMiata S2, Supermiata S3
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350 !!
    08 M3 - Carmax warranty !!
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S

Liked
    97 times

Iphone will be easy to learn. Like a slap on the helmet from an instructor, it's pretty straightforward to figure out.

You'll love it, and you'll especially love the GPS/Map if you ever need to see where to cut some traffic or are lost in a random city. I don't know where they pull the traffic stats for surface streets, but it's awesome, especially in LA.

Liked
    70 times

You can get Harry's Laptimer for some timing and Data acquisition

Richard, are you getting the 4, or waiting for the 4S?
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    32 times

I still have the original first gen iphone. I really like the layout of the phone and it really is super easy to use. Compared to some other smart phone, people say its not fully customizable but you really just need to jail break it. My iphone had stuff in 2008 that some of the newer iphone are barely getting. This phone fits perfectly in my car in the door slot

Liked
    977 times

I have been a PC owner and developer for my entire life (my first PC was a Commodore Pet, aged 3). I switched to Apple about 5 years ago and have not looked back. The "it's for newbs" comments are nonsense; most of the top-tier software developers and entrepreneurs in my sphere all use and develop software on their Mac's. For those of us with Linux skills, we get the combination of a useable desktop with enterprise level software, and a bash shell. Can't beat that.

I've also owned or own practically every Android phone or tablet. They are all substantially deficient in one way or another.

Anyone still using a Blackberry is just living in denial. Make the switch.

Liked
    367 times

Quote Originally Posted by hakeem View Post
    I have been a PC owner and developer for my entire life (my first PC was a Commodore Pet, aged 3). I switched to Apple about 5 years ago and have not looked back. The "it's for newbs" comments are nonsense; most of the top-tier software developers and entrepreneurs in my sphere all use and develop software on their Mac's. For those of us with Linux skills, we get the combination of a useable desktop with enterprise level software, and a bash shell. Can't beat that.

I've also owned or own practically every Android phone or tablet. They are all substantially deficient in one way or another.

Anyone still using a Blackberry is just living in denial. Make the switch.
    Well F*ck, now I kinda want one too.
    Do you understand?

Liked
    165 times

I've owned and used all 3 (Blackberry phones, iPad 2, Android phones). Give me a good Android handset all day every day. I am enough of a geek to want complete customization/control/access of my device, and Android gives me that.

That having been said, if I had to recommend a smartphone to my grandmother, it would be the iPhone. So, congrats Richard

/Android fanboy

Liked
    97 times

Quote Originally Posted by J. Tyler View Post
    /Android fanboy
    I have a cousin who is also a big Android fanboy, but after much flaunting of his HTC Evos over the years or whatever he has, he's actually making the switch to apple 4s because of the really good camera, Siri voice control (which by the way is freaking awesome) and overall speed and fluidity of the OS. Plus the phone is small and just plain looks cool. Can't beat that.

Liked
    977 times

I've owned and used all 3 (Blackberry phones, iPad 2, Android phones). Give me a good Android handset all day every day. I am enough of a geek to want complete customization/control/access of my device, and Android gives me that.

That having been said, if I had to recommend a smartphone to my grandmother, it would be the iPhone. So, congrats Richard

/Android fanboy
    What are you customizing on your phone that you can't do on any other phone (especially the iPhone)? I always hear the "but it's open!!!!" argument from Fandroid's and never really understand what possible benefit it could have to a consumer.

Liked
    165 times

What are you customizing on your phone that you can't do on any other phone (especially the iPhone)? I always hear the "but it's open!!!!" argument from Fandroid's and never really understand what possible benefit it could have to a consumer.
    Everything. (Widgets, icons, entire GUI layout/look/operation/etc, apps (no big-brother blocking of them), complete control & use of the hardware you bought (tethering, using your device on whichever and however many computers you want with whatever software you want), using/playing/creating/editing whatever media format you want.....etc...). There are plenty more reasons but these are the main things that pop into my mind at the moment.

I know you can do some of that stuff with an iPhone, but the big difference to me is that Apple discourages it, Android encourages it. Two completely opposite approaches; I strongly prefer the latter.

Liked
    977 times

Everything. (Widgets, icons, entire GUI layout/look/operation/etc, apps (no big-brother blocking of them), complete control & use of the hardware you bought (tethering, using your device on whichever and however many computers you want with whatever software you want), using/playing/creating/editing whatever media format you want.....etc...). There are plenty more reasons but these are the main things that pop into my mind at the moment.

I know you can do some of that stuff with an iPhone, but the big difference to me is that Apple discourages it, Android encourages it. Two completely opposite approaches; I strongly prefer the latter.
    Interesting to hear. As a developer I prefer dealing with Android just because we can iterate faster (no appstore approvals) and side load directly to the device without having to use something like Testflight.

As a user, the Android experience just feels bad to me. The entire UI is laggy, there is not enough feedback to actions (touching links in the browser for example has lag), and overall everything is inconsistent and confusing. I think Browser on Android might be one of the worst I have used on a mobile device.

Liked
    6 times

Interesting to hear. As a developer I prefer dealing with Android just because we can iterate faster (no appstore approvals) and side load directly to the device without having to use something like Testflight.

As a user, the Android experience just feels bad to me. The entire UI is laggy, there is not enough feedback to actions (touching links in the browser for example has lag), and overall everything is inconsistent and confusing. I think Browser on Android might be one of the worst I have used on a mobile device.
    I agree. I've had sluggish problems with my HTC Incredible and now my HTC Thunderbolt. I text A LOT and having to delete text messages because it's lagging the phone is ridiculous, never had to do that with my 3GS. On top of that, message deletion takes forever (thought to be an HTC thing) and often times FCs. My Thunderbolt does a good job fueling my workouts though, only because I'm so pissed at dealing with it's random crap. Gotta love the phone rebooting randomly while listening to Pandora and having to wait what seems like 5 minutes for the phone to come back up. /ghey

Everything just works with the iPhone and it's fluid. Apps are of better quality too. Maybe with ICS things will get a lot better for Android, there really are some nice specs on some of the new and upcoming phones i.e. Nexus Prime.

Liked
    977 times

The Nexus Prime (Galaxy Prime) launch event just got announced for next Tuesday. The phone looks cool, but 4.65" screen is a no-go for me. Kind of like walking around with a CRT monitor in your pocket.

The UI does look very fluid:

Last edited by hakeem; 10-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Liked
    2 times

Good choice Richard! I'm planning on picking up my 4S tomorrow morning.

Liked
    708 times

I installed the new iOS on my 3GS. Lots of cool new features like iMessage, new camera features, you can buy a new iPhone or iPad and not need a computer to set it up. There are probably tons of features I'll never figure out or realize it can do. Pretty amazing I think.
    99 Mazda Miata SuperMiata #515 - AKA Sparky SOLD
    '91 Mariner Blue Miata project AKA Napoleon

Liked
    977 times

Siri is awesome!

+ Reply to Thread