+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiat 124 - Motor Trend First Test

Liked
    887 times

Default Fiat 124 - Motor Trend First Test

"The Fiat’s rugged iron-block 1.4-liter MultiAir turbo engine pulls with far less linearity than Mazda’s naturally aspirated, free-revving, all-aluminum 2.0-liter. The Fiat boasts a little more horsepower—164 for the Abarth and 160 for lesser 124s versus 155 in the Mazda—and a lot more peak torque—184 lb-ft versus 148. But more important than the numbers is the feeling. This older-school turbo suffers boost-lag right off the line followed by a rush up to a point where perhaps a MultiAir cam-phasing event seems to put a second knee in the curve. These discontinuities in the torque curve were joined by a few other flat spots in an Abarth automatic we sampled, begging the questions, is this test car having an off day? And if not, is tuning for that extra 4 hp worth the trouble it creates in this lumpy torque curve? On the plus side, when revved to its redline with either transmission, the engine pulls smoothly from a speed that’s safely above those non-linearities in the next gear. . ."

2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth First Test Review - Motor Trend

Liked
    53 times

All I know is I was at the Fiat dealer yesterday and I found the car to be not pretty...to me the ND looks so much better.

Liked
    678 times

The ND does it for me, in my opinion it's just about perfect from a design standpoint. But, we're finding that there are plenty of people in the opposite camp who like the Fiat's styling more.

This was the first angle from which I actually really like the 124:

Ryan Passey
    Singulär Motorsports | Goodwin Racing

#13 1990 Miata
    "The sport dedicating to the spirits of time attacking motoring" -Emilio

+ Reply to Thread