+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Fatality at Buttonwillow

Liked
    7 times

We looked hard at the crash test data for the Schroth ASM 4 pt harness system 2 years ago. It is a very specific design that when installed properly on an approved seat is a good alternative to the stock 3pt in terms of safety. Combined with stock airbags in a modern car it offers a lot of protection without the nasty habit older 4pt harnesses have of cutting their occupants in half in an impact (3 known deaths in the last 5 years were 4pt that should not have been allowed on track). Several HPDE organizations have approved the new 4pt ASM use as long as the installation is inspected by a race prep shop and signed off as "properly installed according to harness mfg installation requirements". The driver is responsible for keeping documentation of the install in their log book to present to a track official on request.

My personal preference when instructing or coaching in a stock car is: all airbags active, stock 3pt belts. In a stripped and prepared race car I want a race seat, 5pt harness, hans, full cage with FIA bars, fire suppression, and a fire suit. Different performance expectations with different approaches to safety and not much middle ground.
    Last edited by cajun129; 12-21-2015 at 04:55 PM.
    Porsche Cayman 2.9L

Liked
    2531 times

Quote Originally Posted by cajun129 View Post
    We looked hard at the crash test data for the Schroth ASM 4 pt harness system 2 years ago. It is a very specific design that when installed properly on an approved seat is a good alternative to the stock 3pt in terms of safety.
    what is your definition of "properly installed" ?

you said "approved seat", is OEM seat okay ?

is installing a Schroth ASM in a non-airbagged car okay ?

is Schroth's installation guide (of 4 point ASM) okay ? their install guide shows a 3 feet (shoulder to anchor) long shoulder harness. AND at 45 degree angle....

see post #20
    HPDE safety gear flow chart, comment please !!
    Last edited by bellwilliam; 12-21-2015 at 05:27 PM.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Not Certified Slow SDSUsnowboards's Avatar
    Liked
    817 times

Quote Originally Posted by robburgoon View Post
    It functions a bit like a 3 point by having one of the shouders loosen in a crash.

I learned something new today. That is an amazing concept. The security of a harness without the basular skull fracture. Nice! If I ever drive a car on the street again, then it's certain I will be going this route.
    2001 MR2-Eleven
    Experience Points: 21
    Youtube Channel.

Liked
    7 times

[QUOTE=bellwilliam;139455]what is your definition of "properly installed" ?

you said "approved seat", is OEM seat okay ?

is installing a Schroth ASM in a non-airbagged car okay ?

is Schroth's installation guide (of 4 point ASM) okay ? their install guide shows a 3 feet (shoulder to anchor) long shoulder harness. AND at 45 degree angle....

"Properly installed" simply means exactly in accordance with Schroth installation guidelines for your model of car. It is a very specific system that is not approved for use with every seat or every car. I am not a Schroth rep but if you are interested in specifics they are very thorough with their safety information and testing.
    Porsche Cayman 2.9L

Liked
    2344 times

Here is a right side impact video from COTA. Start at 1:30 for the sequence. You can play it at quarter speed and if you stop it at just the right frame you can see Bell's head pop over the halo and get caught by the net. The middle strap of the net at the front is broken after that frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZafJW8Ao0
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    2531 times

Quote Originally Posted by Olitho View Post
    Here is a right side impact video from COTA. Start at 1:30 for the sequence. You can play it at quarter speed and if you stop it at just the right frame you can see Bell's head pop over the halo and get caught by the net. The middle strap of the net at the front is broken after that frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZafJW8Ao0
    his head also sticks out over top of halo seat. kinda strange. my entire head is almost entirely covered by "wings" when seated. it could be I am short and he is tall...but I wonder how it is supposed to be.
    S1 Supermiata - 220whp
    13 Tesla, ma: no engine !!
    17 GT350R
    03 Miata Club Sport
    96 NSX
    06 EVO MR
    15 Mini Cooper S
    Beck 550 Spyder

Liked
    481 times

Luck he has his thumbs still attached. On impact let go of that wheel, man!
    That's not a Typo, I just can't spell no so well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13