• 1 Post By pucsicsal
  • 2 Post By ETK
  • 1 Post By craZee
  • 1 Post By flink

Thread: F1 sound

Liked
    448 times

Default F1 sound

While watching the F1 race yesterday my friend made a brilliant statement, which was:

F1 is the only race (now) where the pace car sounds better than the cars it is leading around"

I agree

That being said, my wife and I just put a deposit down on a 6-day cruise that stops in Monaco for the race for 2 days in 2015 for our 35th anniversary.

http://www.trackhq.com/Banners/yellowsitesponsor.gif emilio700's Avatar
    Liked
    2400 times

Brutal. True.
    WWW.949RACING.COM
    SuperMiata

Aside from their cost I never understood why people race them.
    But obviously I just dont get it. -fatbillybob

4 doors 2 seats
    Liked
    149 times

haters

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

True about the sound, but at least that last race was really fun to watch. Fantastic battles all over the track!
    Loose Caboose likes this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    2243 times

The sound thing is just not a point of contention with us track types, but with fans of all kinds. Even Bernie Ecclestone is aware of how disappointed people are with the new engines and the noise they make.

I read somewhere that venues are threatening to sue because the noise was part of the show they contracted F1 for, and they're not getting it.

Liked
    981 times

I've never been a big F1 race fan so the sound doesn't really bother me. They sounded fine on my TV. But what I found interesting after all these rules changes was how unequal the cars seem to be between teams. For example, toward the end of the race after the yellow when they bunched all the cars back up, it was literally pairs of cars from the same team lined up one after another like animals going into Noah's Ark. Kind of illustrates the point that the cars within each team are equal, but not so much from one team to another. I wonder how long it will take for the slower teams to catch up? Either way, the same team battles made for some exiting racing! I thought those Mercedes might take each other out before the end.

Liked
    97 times

Apparently the Mercedes engines (or just the Mercedes team?) have the advantage of a trick setup where the turbo is split in half and connected by a shaft that runs through the engine (Mercedes F1's Secret Is It Split Its Turbo In Half) With the engine freeze it looks like things will be staying the same!
    redtopz likes this.

ETK
    Liked
    112 times

Quote Originally Posted by redtopz View Post
    But what I found interesting after all these rules changes was how unequal the cars seem to be between teams. For example, toward the end of the race after the yellow when they bunched all the cars back up, it was literally pairs of cars from the same team lined up one after another like animals going into Noah's Ark.
    Interesting point, and there is probably some truth to it. I am no expert, but I have watched a lot of races and while some teams typically have better cars than others in a given year, I have never seen anything like that many battles within teams all in one race. I think it was a lot of lucky coincidence that led to such a fascinating race. Part of it is that many of the teams don't have an obvious star driver this year, at least at this point in the season, so they are willing and ready to duke it out to be the top dog.
    pucsicsal and redtopz like this.
    2002 Porsche 911 Targa
    1967 GTV
    1991 Mazda SuperMiata - Junior
    2008 350z - Sold

FastInFastOut.com

Liked
    981 times

Quote Originally Posted by pucsicsal View Post
    Apparently the Mercedes engines (or just the Mercedes team?) have the advantage of a trick setup where the turbo is split in half and connected by a shaft that runs through the engine (Mercedes F1's Secret Is It Split Its Turbo In Half) With the engine freeze it looks like things will be staying the same!
    Oh, so it's just the Mercedes that have the power advantage right now and all the other teams are pretty equal? I haven't really been following, but it did strike me odd how the teams were still paired up so late in the race. Interesting how Mercedes split up the tubo.
    Last edited by redtopz; 04-07-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Liked
    1429 times

Avoiding some of the later posts in this thread for spoiler-risk, but I kinda like the growl of the new cars. Not doing the same thing every year is what makes F1 so interesting for me.

Liked
    855 times

I am also slowly learning to get used to (or like - not as much, but still like) the new sound.

OJR
    Liked
    102 times

It also doesn't help that Renault and Ferrari can only rev to 11k. The Mercedes engines sound a bit better, but they are revving quite a bit higher. They also change the rev limiters for fuel conservation modes, so the Silver Arrows get out front and short shift to save fuel.
    Just a guy racing stuff. #GetSickTour
    Facebook Instagram

Liked
    448 times

We all need to bookmark this video, lest we ever forget. I can see some of you are ready to drink the cool-aid already.....

freinds FI dyno testing - YouTube
    redtopz likes this.

Sir flink
    Liked
    552 times
    redtopz likes this.

+ Reply to Thread