+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Evo crash at Road Atlanta

Liked
    299 times

Quote Originally Posted by MikeColangelo View Post
    It's interesting to note how his car barely slowed down once he went off into the grass. I'm assuming he was "both feet in" at that point. Did it rain earlier?
    Most likely his tires locked up and just skidded, so there was no way to slow down once 2 feet in on grass. It happened between 830-930am.
    Zhong (Evo IX) | Angry Panda Racing

1:53.396 @ BRP CW13 - 11/14/13
    1:47.2xx @ Laguna Seca - 11/28/10
    2:03.026 @ Thill CCW Bypass - 12/20/14
    2:05.100 @ CVR CCW - 1/16/11
    1:58.151 @ CVR CW - 5/5/13
    1:25.56x @ WSIR - 10/13/13
    1:23.128 @ SOW CW - 7/27/14
    1:22.2xx @ SOW CCW - 7/26/14
    1:46.0xx @ ACS Roval - 11/23/14
    1:11.299 @ ACS Infield - 5/18/14

Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at WSIR
    2nd Fastest Limited/Mod Class Evo in Time Attack at BRP 13CW

Liked
    32 times

that sucks.. i saw on facebook... at least he took his hands off the wheel before he hit the wall

Liked
    1477 times

High powered Evo 9 with overzealous driver. Been there done that, but I never crashed my Evo 8 track car. Crashed a lot of other race/track cars, but not that one.
    The deposed former Sheriff of trackHQ . . .

2006 Porsche 997 Carerra Coupe 6-MT - daily driver
    1992 Honda (Acura) NSX 5-MT - classic investment I couldn't resist and occasionally drive
    2004 Honda S2000 AP2 6-MT - track day car
    2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 6-MT - when I need a backseat, 4-doors, or a real trunk, and still want to haul ass . . .

Liked
    103 times

Id just like to point out, the driver Daniel has a solid amount of track experience, and is not only fast, but a level headed, humble, and nice guy. He obviously made a mistake and it costed him. But the comments stating he's noob, overzelous, etc. kinda harsh considering alot of you guys dont know him AND he just lost his race car.

I agree things were not going well going into that turn and continued to get worse, also DOES seem like he shouldve gave up and gone off in a more controlled fasion and "live to fight another day". In the end he misjudged the situation, and the cold/damp morning conditions prolly didnt help either. The car had a solid chassis tune, hell last year he drove that same evo to a 1.50 lap time at buttonwillow his first time there. All im saying is it just bothers me a bit to judge his character if you dont know him at all. Judging and speculating what couldve and shouldve been done is fine, but taking a jab as his personal integrity seems a bit like salt in the wound.

(Flame suit engaged)

Liked
    70 times

it looks like it gave too much throttle on corner entry too, causing him to miss the apex
    Force McCocken likes this.
    -Kevin M.

2010 Subaru WRX

Liked
    130 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post
    Id just like to point out, the driver Daniel has a solid amount of track experience, and is not only fast, but a level headed, humble, and nice guy. He obviously made a mistake and it costed him. But the comments stating he's noob, overzelous, etc. kinda harsh considering alot of you guys dont know him AND he just lost his race car.

I agree things were not going well going into that turn and continued to get worse, also DOES seem like he shouldve gave up and gone off in a more controlled fasion and "live to fight another day". In the end he misjudged the situation, and the cold/damp morning conditions prolly didnt help either. The car had a solid chassis tune, hell last year he drove that same evo to a 1.50 lap time at buttonwillow his first time there. All im saying is it just bothers me a bit to judge his character if you dont know him at all. Judging and speculating what couldve and shouldve been done is fine, but taking a jab as his personal integrity seems a bit like salt in the wound.

(Flame suit engaged)
    I'm sure he's a nice guy and it sucks to destroy an expensive car, but he made about 4 mistakes one after another and miss judged all of them. Failing to recognize the impending problem problem till way too late. Thats inexperience. *shrug*

I don't see anyone saying anything about his "integrity". it does seem you're being a bit touchy.

Liked
    744 times

T1 is really ballsy at RA. It has rained a metric **** tonne around here this past couple of weeks. It is common knowledge going off at T1 on the grass is probably the most common spot to wreck. The area is in the shade a lot, so it is wet in the mornings, add the rain they had (well over 4 inches IIRC) and it is a veritable ice rink. I think the driver tracked out more than he expected and once the car touched the grass, it was a juggling exercise after that. The only thing more dangerous than the grass at RA is the mud, which is actually more like clay. It will make the car do things your butt won't like. Still one of my favorite tracks, though. It demands your concentration and respect more than most.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    0 times

I am in the same boat as Clint, Dan is a very solid driver, and they are a class act team that has never done anything but been top notch to work with and participate with. Mistakes happen for everyone, it had rained earlier in the day and I am sure that Dan has learned from his mistake here. We should all be so lucky as to never make a mistake while driving at the track...

Liked
    977 times

I think most people here have no idea who the guy is, which probably helps in making objective criticism of the incident.

FWIW, this doesn't look like a 'very solid driver' at the helm. He might be quite fast around a racetrack, but there are a bunch of mistakes in just this one clip. Hopefully helpful to him and anyone else reading to discuss them.

Liked
    0 times

Yup, All of us time attack guys are clowns.

Liked
    130 times

Not all of them.

But if you're equating fast lap with good driver, you're on the way

Liked
    1429 times

Monkey + Evo = Win
    Pure EvoIX likes this.

Liked
    130 times

Monkey + Money = Win
    Richard EVO, Pure EvoIX and JJ1 like this.

Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Given the power some of these time attack cars are making, and speeds theyre hitting, i think its crazy theyre not required because relatively inexperienced drivers will probably not use them if theyre given the choice. Since his seat doesnt have a Halo, i wouldnt be surprised if his helmet smacked into his B pillar.
    Problem is as soon as you require safety gear, no one will show up as everyone would rather spend their $ on making more power.

Liked
    744 times

That's why I liked the Miata Challenge rules where mod points were taken away for using more safety equipment.
    Red_5, VagaXt, krazik and 1 others like this.
    Yer pal,
    Force

Liked
    981 times

Hopefully the driver is OK. I've been there and done that in T1 at Thunderhill. Put 2 off on the exit and swung back across the track to the inside so fast I had no time to correct. Luckily no walls there. That was in hpde and it taught me a valuable lesson that has saved my car many times since (think about the esses and sunset/sunrise at Buttonwillow). If you sense that you are going to put a wheel off on the outside straighten the wheel and be prepared to turn the wheel into the dirt so it doesn't yank you back onto the track. Then come back on in control. Once you have 2 front wheels on the track and 1 rear wheel in the dirt your are in big trouble. Also a valuable lesson for driving on 2 lane highways where people often overcorrect and swing into oncoming traffic. I won't judge the driver, because we are all human and mistakes happen.
    Olitho likes this.
    99 C5 corvette SCCA GT2
    99 Supermiata "Super"

LongWinded National Champ Bueller's Avatar
    Liked
    168 times

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFocus View Post

(Flame suit engaged)
    Yeah, youre being a little touchy. This is a track forum, stuff happens and sometimes its discussed. Pretty much everyone here has made mistakes. And if its been discussed, we have been critical of each others mistakes. Yeah it can suck, but the benefit is we end up learning from each other. As for this incident, i agree with whats been said...thats what a beginner/intermediate level driver would do. I should know, on my finest day im intermediate at best. I also agree that lap times dont determine if youre fast or a good driver. Btw, none of this has anything to do with his character or integrity. If you say hes a great guy, i believe you. Besides, i never said anything about that, and unless i missed something i dont think anyone else has.
    Team Rambling Warrior Poet

RRE
    Robispec
    Girodisc
    SCM
    APR

Liked
    47 times

Even the best make mistakes and continue to learn from them.... and even when you know better you are still human.

The driver is about as good of a guy as they come. I hope that this isn't the end for the team or the car. Wish them nothing but the best in the future.
    Andrew M Brilliant
    Aerodynamicist / Race Engineer

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I also agree that lap times dont determine if youre fast or a good driver.

I think I understand what you are saying, but can you elaborate?

Liked
    1429 times

Quote Originally Posted by tlee1234 View Post
    I think I understand what you are saying, but can you elaborate?
    He's saying that doing 2 minute laps at buttonwillow doesn't mean you're a good driver unless you also talk about what kind of car he's in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast