+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By fatbillybob
  • 2 Post By Plavan
  • 3 Post By Stuntman
  • 4 Post By Sprinkles

Thread: Enable left foot braking in current/modern cars?

Liked
    0 times

Default Enable left foot braking in current/modern cars?

Hi guys - i cannot be alone in this.
    Every recent car I've driven to date does not allow left foot braking - and for those that do, you can only do it so long as no steering angle is applied. Once there is, it cuts throttle.
    Doesn't matter if ECS is off, ABS fuse is pulled and whatever - it just wont let you do it.

For those building race cars or dedicated track cars - any tips on defeating this safety feature?

Liked
    2343 times

Wow, the nannies are getting pretty intrusive. Shouldn't be tough to override for someone with the appropriate skills. What kind of car?

Liked
    1705 times

Whenever I try a potential candidate I always LFB and gas them at the same time. They all cut power if done too long. The 2016 C7 vette, 2017 Mustang GT, and 2017 BMW M235i will allow LFB and right foot gas at the same time for at least the time you would trail brake and balance the gas. It is one of the few things you can do during a street test drive and not get a ticket.
    bawareca likes this.

Liked
    0 times

Yeah it's terrible.
    And for cars that let you lfb, you'll notice that you can lfb in a straight line, but as soon as you hit specific steering angles, it'll cut power.
    I also notice that some let you hold the brakes for up to 2 seconds before it cuts power...which ok, that works. However, ESC comes back on if slip angle is detected while both the brakes, gas and steering angle is applied. So it really limits what a driver can do.
    Noticing this in ford, bmw, subaru, toyota.

Tried pulling abs fuse, no dice.

Anyone prepping a track car within the past 7 years of age that has been dealing with this and solved it?

Liked
    2339 times

In C5 and C6 Corvettes if you pull the steering wheel position sensor it disables all the stability control stuff, but ABS still works. I don't know if this is true in the C7, too.

You just need to clear a couple error codes on the DIC when you start the car.
    To the right of The Sheriff. Isn't everyone?

Liked
    0 times

OK pull steering angle sensor! Good plan. Will try this. Sounds like an easy experiment. Thanks for the tip.

Liked
    63 times

My Porsche Spyder did that. Hated it the first and only time I had it on the track. It was so annoying- I was verbally yelling at the car and saying WTF is going on! My fix was to just stick with my race cars on track.
    bellwilliam and SteveLevin like this.
    Thanks,

Chad
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype #02 (Chassis #20)
    1969 911ST vintage racer
    1972 911T Numbers Matching under restoration in my garage

"Shoe"
    Liked
    589 times

DBW safety feature for stuck throttles. You can thank increasingly stringent safety standards, most of which to compensate for incompetence.
    Olitho, passmenow and DocWalt like this.

Liked
    47 times

Had the same problem in the Suzuki Swift ZC32S - 2013 model, which has a DBW throttle.

Discovered this "feature" was driven off a signal wire on the brake pedal switch going back to the ECU, which also disengages the cruise control. Now have a switch wired into the dash to bypass it:

Liked
    0 times

That is awesome!
    I checked for a switch really quickly, but really need to remove panels to see more.
    The only switch i see under the brake pedal is a brake light switch, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a harness somewhere.

Liked
    10 times

On the Focus RS that brake light switch also stops other "features" like the panic brake assist (goes full stupid and goes full ABS if you hit the pedal too quickly... and brake lights don't matter for autocross) so it may be worth investigating.

+ Reply to Thread